Author Topic: Does everyone have a winter holiday?  (Read 201 times)

Offline Vincegamer

• Stopped Going Outside
Does everyone have a winter holiday?
« on: December 15, 2008, 01:03:46 AM »
This time of year I often hear that Christmas is here because of the winter solstice; that Christians co-opted the holiday from pagans who were celebrating the fact that the sun is coming back (days getting longer and warmer).

So that got me wondering how we know that, then the question occurred to me:  Does everyone have a winter holiday?

If it's so "natural" to celebrate the return of the sun, do people in the Southern hemisphere have a winter holiday?  The days aren't getting longer then, but they are getting warmer - the sun is rising in the sky.  So was there a pre-christian winter holiday in the south and is there still?
Did they have a summer solstice celebration to praise the lengthening days, even though it was warm already?
“If you took the kind of working practices of herbal remedies and scaled them up and used them on a whole population you’d have a hell of a lot more giant cock-ups.”
- Ben Goldacre

Offline queequeg

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Does everyone have a winter holiday?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 01:17:26 AM »
Xtians.  The original Microsoft?

Embrace and extend?

It sounds dirty when I say it.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
      -- Voltaire

Offline mickal777

• Beleth Gave Me 100 Gold
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • Trip to Japan
Re: Does everyone have a winter holiday?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 01:23:18 AM »
We have a mid year winter holiday yes, it's for four weeks around July.

The end of year holiday is the big one though as it's a combined end of year/summer/Christmas holiday.

It divides up the years well, and provides a nice buffer either side of christmas/new years.