Poll

Do you think we should have a separate riddle discussion thread?

Yeah sure / Why the hell not? / Most definitely / Yes but ... (explain)
19 (67.9%)
Indifferent / I'm easy / Whatever / Where am I / I'm fallen and I can't get up / Giraffe.
6 (21.4%)
Nope / No way! / Are you crazy?! / No, not unless ... (explain).
0 (0%)
Other, (explain) / You're stupid poll doesn't have the option I want / You suck.
3 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: March 07, 2007, 07:12:10 AM

Author Topic: Dedicated Riddle Discussion Thread  (Read 4933 times)

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
Dedicated Riddle Discussion Thread
« on: March 07, 2007, 07:12:10 AM »
I was thinking that the riddle related content of the episode threads gets a little off-track and overwhelms the more serious topics covered in the podcasts, (often my fault actually).

What do you think about having a single long-running thread for open discussion of the riddles, where you don't have to "white out" your answers?  Also this would allow you to view the episode thread without accidentally running into a spoiler.

I'll pm Evan and and see what he thinks, and if he approves, suggest he  organise with Steve to add a standard comment line at the bottom of the individual episode OP's redirecting riddle answers and discussion traffic here, (and perhaps make a brief announcement on the podcast).

I'm just planning on pm'ing Evan a link to this thread so if you've got any comments or ideas, this is the place.

Hopefully we can sort it out before the end of the week but until otherwise stated I wouldn't post actual discussion of the current riddle here yet.
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline sketchy

• Frequent Poster
  • just sketchy
    • Sketchy's Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 12:28:55 PM »
I say yes.  sometimes I end up looking at the thread for a new show before I have listened tot he show.  and the riddle is usually answered on the first few posts.

If the answers were somehwere else, it will not get spoiled.

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 02:41:45 PM »
Good idea. It would make discussing it easier to follow, and it would also make it easier for Evan to keep track.
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

Offline Joe Shmoe

• Chief Rape Apologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 04:30:09 PM »
It should probably be a new thread for each show.  One thread will become untenable within a few months.

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 05:56:20 PM »
I think it should be a seperate thread.  The people who want to discuss the other episode topics will not be overwhelmed with the discussion about the puzzle.
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 06:13:52 PM »
Quote from: "Joe Shmoe"
It should probably be a new thread for each show.  One thread will become untenable within a few months.

Yeah, I figured someone would suggest that.  You could be right.  I just wonder which is ultimately more neat.

I suppose there would be nothing wrong with an Episode #84 thread, and Riddle #84 thread.  But I suppose that would be Evan's call if he wants to go this route in the first place.
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 07:55:19 PM »
Plus this would be a good place for Evan to post the mp3 for the rap puzzle so that we can listen to it over and over again. A video version would be great too (can you say "Youtube"?)
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 09:26:07 PM »
Giraffe?  How could Giraffe possibly be a sensible response to that question?

"Hey, would you like to see a new thread?"

"Giraffe!"

See?

It doesn't work.

A Giraffe is rude animal with big ears, while your question requires a yes or no answer.

"Giraffe" would work if the question was something like "Which the following animals with large ears do you think are the most rude?"  And then you listed "Elephant", "Humpback Whale", and "Baboon", along with "Giraffe."

The problem with that question, of course, is that it contributes nothing to your efforts at determining the consensus of the group's feelings about have a separate thread for discussing the puzzle.

Speaking of puzzles, will Giraffes be on the side of the monkeys or on the side of the birds in the coming Avo-Simian Wars?

Offline moneyman1490

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 09:59:30 PM »
Quote from: "Febo"
Giraffe?  How could Giraffe possibly be a sensible response to that question?

"Hey, would you like to see a new thread?"

"Giraffe!"

See?

It doesn't work.

A Giraffe is rude animal with big ears, while your question requires a yes or no answer.

"Giraffe" would work if the question was something like "Which the following animals with large ears do you think are the most rude?"  And then you listed "Elephant", "Humpback Whale", and "Baboon", along with "Giraffe."

The problem with that question, of course, is that it contributes nothing to your efforts at determining the consensus of the group's feelings about have a separate thread for discussing the puzzle.

Speaking of puzzles, will Giraffes be on the side of the monkeys or on the side of the birds in the coming Avo-Simian Wars?

I see you entered the forums after the megathread with adams. :)
kidoo, in response to CapeRoadie's threat of Libel
Quote from: "skidoo"
Your documented evasiveness and dishonesty leads me to no other conclusion: You're a dangerous quack. How's that for a retraction?

Put up or shut up!!!

Offline Kwisatz Haderach

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 10:08:24 PM »
Quote from: "moneyman1490"

I see you entered the forums after the megathread with adams. :)

Yes...

so, is "Giraffe" a Neal Adams reference that I missed?

Offline moneyman1490

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 10:14:34 PM »
Ya, I forgot how it came about during the thread (i came in in the last 2/3) but it had somthing to do w/ neal, and his lack of coherent sentences.

I bet somebody here knows the full story.
kidoo, in response to CapeRoadie's threat of Libel
Quote from: "skidoo"
Your documented evasiveness and dishonesty leads me to no other conclusion: You're a dangerous quack. How's that for a retraction?

Put up or shut up!!!

Offline Jerad

• Off to a Start
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 01:18:55 PM »
I think a puzzle dedicated thread or topic is good as long as it sticks to the current episode.
quot;Be careful when ascribing to malice that which can more likely be explained by fear, greed, stupidity or boredom."

Offline Joe Shmoe

• Chief Rape Apologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 02:35:51 PM »
I brought up the giraffe as an example of an animal that would have gone extinct if it had evolved in a lighter gravity.  I don't remember why it turned into an exclamation.

Offline Chico

• Off to a Start
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 01:44:40 AM »
Yes, good idea. One thread for each episode riddle.

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 04:08:55 PM »
Does it really need to be coordinated six ways to Sunday? :D Can't we just...oh, I dunno...start a riddle thread after each episode? :D

EDIT: Remember that you can help save bandwidth by refraining from the use of extraneous capitalization! Big letters cost big bytes!

personate-rain