Author Topic: Podcast # 23: Jan Helen McGee interview and followup?  (Read 29094 times)

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
Podcast # 23: Jan Helen McGee interview and followup?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 10:52:40 PM »
Quote from: "Neutral Milk"
God... I bet if I looked at enough Sylvia Browne youtube comments I could find worded exactly the same way what I said above.  A billion monkeys on typewriters.

Well that thing with the typewriters hasn't been proven.  But I bet if we put billions and billions of monkeys into research ...

The perfect place for a Bob Novella icon - so I'm just experimenting with the height and appearance.  Wow you can almost make out who that's supposed to be - not bad for 15 pixels high.

This is 30 pixels high:
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline Apeiron

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Students! The muses are silent.
    • ILS
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 02:44:16 PM »
A Bob Novella icon, now that's a project which billions and billions should be put in!  :lol:

Offline StinkyPete

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 02:10:27 PM »
I'm bumping this thread again.  I just listened to this Podcast (I'm catching up.  Number 28!) and I was wondering if anything is happening with this.  I'm excited to hear an outcome.
Love,
Stinky Pete

Offline Orthodox Infidel

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 04:24:43 PM »
While this thread is being bumped, I would like to lobby the admins to add the Bob Novella icon to the smilies list.

Offline Mike

• Frequent Poster
    • SGUFans.net
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 07:11:16 PM »
Quote from: "Orthodox Infidel"
While this thread is being bumped, I would like to lobby the admins to add the Bob Novella icon to the smilies list.

I'll try to convince rebecca to upload it to her server.  I'll let you know.  Which one though?  The smaller one or the bigger one?
"We're just so damn exciting." - Dr. Steven Novella, MD

Offline snowy

• Off to a Start
Re: Podcast # 23: Jan Helen McGee interview and followup?
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 07:12:15 PM »
Hey everyone,

New listener here who's been going through the old podcasts over the past month or two. The other day I reached #23, and was curious about what happened to the plans to test McGee's claimed abilities. Looks like nothing ever came of them, but in my searching I stumbled upon these comments by McGee in a 2006 interview which are apparently referring to that podcast episode (although Randi wasn't on it), and thought you guys might find them interesting:

HM: Have you heard of the Amazing Randi [Randi.org], who offers a standing prize of $1 million to anyone that can provide objective proof of paranormal activity?

JM: They called me. I was on a Podcast with him. Five guys, doctors, PhD’s, talking to me: five against one. And I kicked their asses. They’re used to stupid people but nobody is smarter than I am, nobody. Cause I’m quick. See, they’re brain people but they can’t think as quick. I’m real quick with my mouth.

HM: They asked you to take their test?

JM: They said, ‘You come take our test!’ And I said that’s a waste of my time, you made up the test. I’m not taking the test but what I will do is continue to do what I do now. You find a murder case for me, find one that’s 20 years old then see if I can solve it. That way I’m still doing my work and you can find out. But they haven’t. And you can go on their website, and they go, ‘oh, we’re still working that out.’ They’re not working it out. This guy just wants to pretend he has a million dollars. It’s just bogus.

Having just listened to the eposide, I must say if that's her recollection of it, one has to wonder how exagerrated her other memories are!

Offline skidoo

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 12:28:53 PM »
Hey everyone,

New listener here who's been going through the old podcasts over the past month or two. The other day I reached #23, and was curious about what happened to the plans to test McGee's claimed abilities. Looks like nothing ever came of them, but in my searching I stumbled upon these comments by McGee in a 2006 interview which are apparently referring to that podcast episode (although Randi wasn't on it), and thought you guys might find them interesting:

HM: Have you heard of the Amazing Randi [Randi.org], who offers a standing prize of $1 million to anyone that can provide objective proof of paranormal activity?

JM: They called me. I was on a Podcast with him. Five guys, doctors, PhD’s, talking to me: five against one. And I kicked their asses. They’re used to stupid people but nobody is smarter than I am, nobody. Cause I’m quick. See, they’re brain people but they can’t think as quick. I’m real quick with my mouth.

JM: They said, ‘You come take our test!’ And I said that’s a waste of my time, you made up the test. I’m not taking the test but what I will do is continue to do what I do now. You find a murder case for me, find one that’s 20 years old then see if I can solve it. That way I’m still doing my work and you can find out. But they haven’t. And you can go on their website, and they go, ‘oh, we’re still working that out.’ They’re not working it out. This guy just wants to pretend he has a million dollars. It’s just bogus.

Having just listened to the eposide, I must say if that's her recollection of it, one has to wonder how exagerrated her other memories are!

What's the source of that interview?

Offline CKava

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • God Knows What
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 12:44:59 PM »
It's on her website: http://www.janhelenmcgee.com/HarrisburgMagazine.htm

Apparently it's from something from the 'Harrisburg-Patriot News' she also again states right at the beginning she can see through walls:

"HARRISBURG MAGAZINE: Right now, can you see through that wall?

JAN MCGEE: I can see through anything. It’s really weird, but I can see dead people."

I wish there had of been more of a follow up on this one too. I realise the rogues are busy but this does often seem to pop up as a missed opportunity.
If the above nonsense wasn't enough more is available here
http://godknowswhat.wordpress.com/

Offline Nigel

• Seasoned Contributor
  • One man, one opinion
    • The Skeptical Review
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 06:30:43 PM »
She lives in the town next to me.  Should I find her house, walk up to her, and tell her from the bottom of the SGU fanbase in my best Jay voice "Oh yeah." ;)

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 07:00:26 PM »
She lives in the town next to me.  Should I find her house, walk up to her, and tell her from the bottom of the SGU fanbase in my best Jay voice "Oh yeah." ;)

Yes.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 08:51:05 AM »
JAN MCGEE: I can see through anything. It’s really weird, but I can see dead people."

yeah.. i'd be more impressed if the dead people could see me.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Opcn

• Frequent Poster
  • Home of the Reef Tank.
    • facebook
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 03:26:35 PM »

How do you know that they can't? Perhaps Jan knows about all the things you have been doing.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 03:48:53 AM »

How do you know that they can't? Perhaps Jan knows about all the things you have been doing.

OH SHI---
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Gilnei

• Well Established
  • Resident Brazilian Skeptic
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 01:51:26 PM »
Hey everyone,

Oh, the answer following that one is also chuckle-worthy.

"HM: But he’s providing a service.

JM: Yes. He’s debunking the scam psychics. You go ahead and debunk those people because those people make my life horrible."

Scientists are the leading cause of cancer in lab rats.

Offline ScuzzBuster

• Off to a Start
    • Deviant Knowledge
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »
Awesome thing about podcasting...the episodes never die.  Just got to this one in my catch up routine as well.

I agree, would have been much simpler just to send 10 people out there and have her diagnose them.  I believe her words were right along the lines of "if you put me in a room with 10 people I could be 10 out of 10 in telling you what's wrong with them." 

Then she kind of backtracked on that and said that she was really better at murders.  Huh?  If you're 100% at medical diagnosis (or at least symptons) what are you at murders?  103%?  Maybe she was the basis for the movie MINORITY REPORT.

So much wrong with that episode though...she basically says that she never follows up with the cases she works so she doesn't know the success rate, than makes bold statements that about the reason that  cases don't get solved is that the police don't listen to her.  I really thought she believed she had some gift, but after reading the comments she made about JR I have to believe she's another Sylvia in a less repulsive package (not talking about looks, either). 

Easy test, just stack all of her "intuitions" up against professional law enforcement profilers and see who's information is more accurate when the case is solved.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 01:12:13 AM by ScuzzBuster »

personate-rain