Author Topic: Butters' Very Own Episode - cosmicvagabond  (Read 4737 times)

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
Butters' Very Own Episode - cosmicvagabond
« on: March 11, 2007, 11:21:04 AM »
The mysterious cosmicvagabond.  Maybe you guys who have been around the board a bit longer know more about him, but he never seems to say too much about himself that I've noticed.

What I do know is that he's probably older than a lot of us here, and wants to be a professional poker player.  

First of all, how old are we talking about?  And second of all, can you really make a living playing poker?  In his profile he mentions internet poker, but I'm skeptical that anyone could make a living with any form of online gambling.  Am I missing something?

And what's it like living in a Ogden for a skeptic anyway?  You expressed some general misgivings about the place once.  Have any specific interesting experiences?
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
Re: Butters' Very Own Episode - cosmicvagabond
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 03:53:46 PM »
Quote from: "IRON MAN"
The mysterious cosmicvagabond.  Maybe you guys who have been around the board a bit longer know more about him, but he never seems to say too much about himself that I've noticed.

Actually, I'm really a very shy, private person. I have revealed a few personal things in some of my posts, but then later I wonder, "what the hell did I say that for?"

First of all, how old are we talking about?

Personal Stats:  I'm 48, happiily divorced, no kids, and I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I currently earn a meager living as a manager for the world's largest inventory service (that's stock taking to you European types). It's not a very fulfilling career, but it has enabled me to travel around the world and meet lots of great people with widely varied outlooks on life.

And second of all, can you really make a living playing poker?  In his profile he mentions internet poker, but I'm skeptical that anyone could make a living with any form of online gambling.  Am I missing something?

I lived in Las Vegas for a while and played live poker frequently. I did fairly well, but not well enough to make a living at it. When I moved to Utah, I started playing online. Online poker is definitely more difficult than playing live. I like to see my opponent's faces. I've found that I can make a profit at the very low-stakes tables, but as soon as I move up to the higher tables it becomes much more of a challenge. I'm still working on it though, and I'm improving my game all the time. I just wish I had more time to play. My job keeps me pretty busy these days. My favorite game online is Omaha Hi-Low.

And what's it like living in a Ogden for a skeptic anyway?  You expressed some general misgivings about the place once.  Have any specific interesting experiences?

Living in Utah is definitely different from anything I've ever experienced before. Religion permeates every aspect of life here. But I have to say that this is also one of the friendliest places I've ever lived (in America... Europeans are way friendlier overall :D ). Most of the Mormons I've met here are very nice, outgoing people. And they're also very curious about the "outside world" (at least the younger ones seem to be). Those who know that I am an atheist tend to want to know more about me, although I do get those "you're going straight to hell" looks from time to time. Overall, I really like it here. The scenery is beautiful, and the climate is great most of the year. I'll probably stick around for a while.

I'll try to get around to putting up a full bio on the fansite as soon as I get some time. Maybe I'll even post a picture or two.
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 04:00:39 PM »
I'll try to get around to putting up a full bio on the fansite as soon as I get some time. Maybe I'll even post a picture or two.

Oh, the picture in your avatar isn't you?  :P

Where in Germany are you planning on traveling when you go back to use your newly acquired language skills?

Offline IRON MAN

• Well Established
    • http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/member.php?u=1292
Re: Butters' Very Own Episode - cosmicvagabond
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Quote from: "cosmicvagabond"
Actually, I'm really a very shy, private person. I have revealed a few personal things in some of my posts, but then later I wonder, "what the hell did I say that for?"

Glad you did post some more details, and I hope you don't regret doing so this time.  If I'm ever getting to personal just tell me to go take a flying leap.

Personal Stats:  I'm 48, happiily divorced, no kids, and I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I currently earn a meager living as a manager for the world's largest inventory service (that's stock taking to you Euorpean types). It's not a very fulfilling career, but it has enabled me to travel around the world and meet lots of great people with widely varied outlooks on life.

Happily divorced, that's a concept I can understand on some level, but I don't think I'll ever get used to.

And it's strange, when I was employed, (I'm now self-employed), my perfect career would have been something I had no actual interest in, so that I didn't bring it home with me.  Alas, I never actually had a job I didn't feel that way about.  I couldn't help caring far too much about my employer's business, so I would be working tirelessly on that instead of getting my own off the ground.

I lived in Las Vegas for a while and played live poker frequently. I did fairly well, but not well enough to make a living at it. When I moved to Utah, I started playing online. Online poker is definitely more difficult than playing live. I like to see my opponent's faces. I've found that I can make a profit at the very low-stakes tables, but as soon as I move up to the higher tables it becomes much more of a challenge. I'm still working on it though, and I'm improving my game all the time. I just wish I had more time to play. My job keeps me pretty busy these days. My favorite game online is Omaha Hi-Low.

I just looked up that game and it seems totally bizarre to me.  I've only ever played draw poker, and I understand stud poker.  I'm also aware of the concept of low ball.  Just exactly how many of these variations exist,  and how many are actually played seriously in Vegas?

I understand that there are some forms of gambling a person can win at.  I used to bet on horse races rather heavily, (I probably broke even, or did a little worse - but that's still beating the odds).  Counting cards in blackjack comes to mind.  And poker of course has a lot more going on than just calculating the odds, so it has the necessary scope to win consistently based on skill.

So you are playing live players over the internet.  What's stopping someone from just pretending they are a human?  Wouldn't a computer win in the long term just playing the odds when there is no direct human interaction?

Living in Utah is definitely different from anything I've ever experienced before. Religion permeates every aspect of life here.

You know I've been trying to think of a way to explain the situation with religion in Australia, and that's actually the best way to put it.  Religion very noticeably doesn't permeate every aspect of life here.  Although you get religious people, families and organisations, they are separate and distinct entities within a society that is largely unaffected by religion.

I honestly can't imagine what a full-on religious town/city/state would be like.  It's quite an alien concept, thank God ... uh ... I mean thank the FSM ... uh ... you know what I mean ...

But I have to say that this is also one of the friendliest places I've ever lived (in America... Europeans are way friendlier overall :D ). Most of the Mormons I've met here are very nice, outgoing people. And they're also very curious about the "outside world" (at least the younger ones seem to be). Those who know that I am an atheist tend to want to know more about me, although I do get those "you're going straight to hell" looks from time to time. Overall, I really like it here. The scenery is beautiful, and the climate is great most of the year. I'll probably stick around for a while.

Then again, maybe it's just friendlier than Vegas.  I was born in a white trash town that was pretty rough - everywhere else seems friendlier to me.

That would be cool.  I promise that I wont photoshop them ... well too much.
i]I suck at archaic languages.  I don't understand Latin et al.[/i]

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 11:40:36 PM »
I just looked up that game and it seems totally bizarre to me. I've only ever played draw poker, and I understand stud poker. I'm also aware of the concept of low ball. Just exactly how many of these variations exist, and how many are actually played seriously in Vegas?

The cardrooms in Vegas basically offer two main games:  Texas Holdem and Seven Card Stud. Texas Holdem is by far the most popular and is the game played in the World Series of Poker. Omaha Hi-Low is a variation of Holdem. I like playing it online because a lot of Texas Holdem players like to try it and it's very easy to take advantage of them. They tend to play it like Holdem at first, but Omaha has a very different strategy.
Bold ideas, unjustified anticipations, and speculative thoughts are our only means for interpreting nature... Those among us who are unwilling to expose their ideas to the hazard of refutation do not take part in the scientific game.    ---Karl Popper, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery"

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 07:19:56 AM »
Quote from: "Neutral Milk"
Where in Germany are you planning on traveling when you go back to use your newly acquired language skills?

I definitely want to visit Berlin. It's just about the only part of Germany I didn't get to see on the last trip.

I also want to spend some time in Heidelberg. That's where I was based for about a year. I absolutely fell in love with the town and left a lot of dear friends there. I consider it my second home.

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 05:47:21 PM »
I have a lot of family in Munich.  You've probably been there, but it's a really fun city. Whenever I go to Germany I start drinking beer and don't stop my entire trip, bavarian beer is the best in the world (aside from the Polish beer I use as my avatar.)

Berlin is too big in my opinion, it can be fun and there's a lot to see, but it's so hard to get around.

Offline cosmicvagabond

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 06:38:28 PM »
Quote from: "Neutral Milk"
I have a lot of family in Munich.  You've probably been there, but it's a really fun city. Whenever I go to Germany I start drinking beer and don't stop my entire trip, bavarian beer is the best in the world (aside from the Polish beer I use as my avatar.)

Yeah, I got to spend a little time in Munich (or Munchen to the locals). The Deutsches Museum was great, but didn't get to spend nearly enough time there.

I too enjoyed the occasional beer (ok.... maybe more than occasional  :wink: ). I never realized just how much American beer sucks until I went to Europe. And now I live in Utah where you can't even get full strength American beer.

Somebody please rescue me.  :roll:

personate-rain