Author Topic: New site - Wow.  (Read 19564 times)

Offline Alan

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: New site - Wow.
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 05:35:06 AM »

It's like that in Opera (10.00 alpha) too. :(

Offline Ajzzz

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 06:18:44 AM »
It looks pretty, much better than the old site. Well done guys, you rock.

I'm getting the scrolling bug on the rolodex in Opera 9.63, I brush the arrow and it starts auto-scrolling. I don't think it's worth it, I'd prefer a normal list.

That seems to be a hell of a lot of flash, it's making Opera sluggish. I try to steer clear of it, I'd only consider using so much for a temporary promotional site. Sure, use it for the cool logo and for playing media, but keep as much as it html and css as possible.

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 06:54:33 AM »
I'm still getting the old site here in the UK - what's happening?

Anyway, just to re-iterate what I said in another thread, Flash should never be used as the main content of a web page. That's what HTML is for. Flash is for where movies or animations are needed, not as a gee-whiz, bandwidth-hogging, browser-breaking, look-how-clever-we-are display.

If it really is like some of the descriptions here, and it starts being delivered on this side of the pond, I'll probably stop using the SGU web site altogether - so I hope the RSS feed will keep working so that I can download the podcasts.
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline Ran

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 07:03:55 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Keep it coming.  We will be making bug fixes/updates and listening VERY CLOSELY to your comments.  To get to the archives page go here http://1638916.sites.myregisteredsite.com/archive/podcast.aspx

How does one download an old episode from this page? There does not seem to be a way.
Yes, same problem here. What is the point of having "Archives" if there isn't an download link?  ;)

OK, now some more problems.

When browsing the main menu, some links expand while some don't. But there is no way to know which expands and which doesn't, which is quite confusing. There is also no marking that shows which menu item you are hovering above, which is confusing. Whenever there is a link, something should be changed when you hover over it.

When clicking on store, and then the second link, it opens in a new window, which is stupid. Let people control that for themselves. If I want a new window, I'll third click on it. If not, I'll left-click on it.

Oh, and I did some quick memory checking... Having one TSGtG page open takes 30 megabytes of memory, having three takes over 60. Ten, which you might have open when checking out the archives and so on, takes 120 megabytes.
This might be acceptable for the technologically impaired who might be surfing without tabs, but it's worthless for power users. I won't stay long on the web pages now, due to the huge memory requirements. Whenever I want to do something requiring computing power I have to shut down pages such as TSGtG.

I certainly won't have them open for days at a time (which is the main reason I tend to read lots and lots of wikipedia entries - they don't eat my precious memory away, so I can have an entry up for days at a time).

Please, give us an site with less memory requirements. You could run an fully functional 3d engine on 30 megabytes of ram... :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:14:15 AM by Ran »

Offline Lonnie123

• Off to a Start
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 09:43:49 AM »
New site looks very sweet... But:

- Dont particularly care for the new sideways scrolling podcast list. I like a list view with a small description myself. Especially for something like the 5x5 where the topic can be summed up in 5 words or less. I wouldnt recommend replacing, but rather an "Archive of shows" link like you guys used to have. Thats just my opinion though.

- One of the premium shows is missing I believe

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
Re: New site - Wow, or not.
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 09:56:32 AM »
Looks like a straight division of opinions. Those who want a pretty display on their screens love it. Those who want to find out information or download podcasts hate it.

How about two separate URLs (with links to each from the other) ... one Flash version for multimedia junkies, and one static version like we had before for the rest of us?

I'm still working my way through my backlog of downloaded podcasts - I've reached late 2006 - and I'm worried I might not be able to access the summary pages for these old podcasts any more - or possibly only by clicking through a hundred or more entries on that scrolling bar. Maybe I should capture the whole of the old web site with Wget before it disappears completely.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 10:22:55 AM »
Anyway, just to re-iterate what I said in another thread, Flash should never be used as the main content of a web page. That's what HTML is for. Flash is for where movies or animations are needed, not as a gee-whiz, bandwidth-hogging, browser-breaking, look-how-clever-we-are display.

+1.

Flash isdownright annoying. I tried opening one of the episodes in another tab, but you can't do that in flash! I tried to grab the RSS link. Yo can't right click and "copy link location";  :( oddly enough, the RSS button doesn't seem to do anything at all. Although my now useless context menu kindly informs me that I am only using Flash 9 on Portable Firefox. Maybe it's a bug or something.

And no offense to anyone who worked on the website (really), but it has that corporate "we paid some flash developers tons of money to make one fancy flash object as our website because mere HTML isn't good enough for us" feel.

Also, the cover-flow thing for the podcasts are kinda neat, except that only some of them show album art.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 10:43:16 AM by stands2reason »

Offline manthony121

• Off to a Start
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 10:33:46 AM »
I want to cast my vote for the new site design sucks.  Flash should be used to enhance the content of a page; it shouldn't *BE* the content of a page.  I avoid flash as much as possible, which means that I can't really access the SGU web site anymore.  Any page using Flash to link to other pages should provide a non-flash way of doing the same thing.  You don't need flash to follow a link to another page.

That wouldn't bother me so much, but my podcatcher isn't working, either.  I use 'hpodder', and it thinks that episodes 182 and 183 are Oct 25, 2006 and June 20, 2007 respectively.  I'd like to look at the episode list, but I can't get to it because of the Flash issue.

How about if you focus more on the content, and less on the flowery presentation?  Have you ever heard the saying, "Don't fix what isn't broken?"
his space accidentally left blank

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 11:52:10 AM »
Damn, tough crowd! There seem to be a lot of rather bilious critiques. Who says skeptics aren't tactful?

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 12:05:37 PM »
Who says skeptics aren't tactful?

Tact never debunked anything! :)

We seem to have opinions along the lines of "Gee, it looks great!" and others like "It's crap because it's hard to find the information I want / download the podcast I want / it takes up too much memory" etc. Correct me if I've missed something, but I haven't seen much of either "Gee, it's now so much faster and so much easier to find what I want", or for that matter "It looks crap". It appears to be a straight choice of style versus content.

Offline niteme

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • http://www.myspace.com/niteme_
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2009, 01:26:39 PM »
If their going to have this crappy ass player, they should have it as a separate option.  Like to be able to embed a show into facebook or myspace.

I feel sorry for the new guy that comes to this website :(
he difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

www.carlsagan.com   ,   www.expelledexposed.com

Add me to myspace, just click the WWW :D

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2009, 01:35:54 PM »
Contact link is not working....nor is the info@ email addy
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline manthony121

• Off to a Start
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »

Trinoc has hit the nail on the head.  Flash is like the fancy transitions in a PowerPoint (or OpenOffice Impress!) show: OK to use sparingly, but really annoying if used to excess.  There is no excuse for having a web site that yields NO useful information to someone visiting without Flash (or Javascript) enabled.
his space accidentally left blank

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2009, 02:56:09 PM »
I've discovered why I was still getting the old site for most of the time since the new one appeared. I'm running a caching DNS proxy (Acrylic) that keeps IP addresses longer than their specified lifetimes, so I was still using the old IP address.

It seems www.theskepticsguide.org used to be on IP address 65.182.100.88, but the new site is on 209.237.151.15. To force your (Windows) system to use the old site (as long as it remains) you need to add the following line to a file called "HOSTS":-

65.182.100.88 www.theskepticsguide.org

Then you probably need to run "ipconfig /flush" to clear out the Windows cache.

(If you're using Acrylic, you need to add it to "AcrylicHosts.txt" instead (or as well), and run the "Purge Cache" shortcut in the Acrylic menu. If you are using a different local DNS server or proxy you will need to do something different.)

Having tried it properly now, I agree with niteme ... any new user coming to the site would probably give up and never get to hear the podcasts. Why spoil something that was working perfectly?

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
Re: New site - Wow, or not.
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2009, 04:40:12 PM »
Looks like a straight division of opinions. Those who want a pretty display on their screens love it. Those who want to find out information or download podcasts hate it.

It seems more like it's a division between those on whose browser it works and on whose it doesn't.

I see the potential. Flash can make the shows easier to browse if it's done right. Already, the search is a great new function (it just needs to be connected to the player).
All these issues can be addressed: right-click context menus can be added, players can be popped out, obviously the downloads need to work (it doesn't for me either) but there's no reason Flash disallows it...

This is a beta, maybe that's why Jay didn't announce it.
I agree it should probably be taken down until it's ready though.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

personate-rain