Author Topic: Episode # 186  (Read 7553 times)

Offline Zeno Izen

• AWESOME POSSUM!
  • Frequent Poster
  • F'ing F!!!
    • The Final Website
Re: Episode # 186
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2009, 07:53:57 PM »
Ronson's Men Who Stared at Goatse came in the mail today.  I'm halfway through it.  It's hilarious and informative.

Offline Zeno Izen

• AWESOME POSSUM!
  • Frequent Poster
  • F'ing F!!!
    • The Final Website
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2009, 04:28:56 PM »
Ronson's Men Who Stared at Goatse came in the mail today.  I'm halfway through it.  It's hilarious and informative.

Finished it.  It doesn't stay hilarious.  It turns pretty dark in the second half.  Still very good all the way to the end, though.

Offline jawmo

• Congenitally Ostentatious
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fast 'n bulbous
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2009, 12:56:36 AM »
Another week, another TED techno-pipedream... why does Bob waste his (and everyone's) time with these ridiculous nonstarters?

Because its these techno-pipedreams that make us excited about science and its wily ways

But isn't this supposed to be skepticism, not boosterism? I can find the latter a dozen other places.
Objectivity is sacrificed in the service of higher goals.
-- C. Sagan, "The Demon-Haunted World"

Offline quirk3k

• I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love.
  • Frequent Poster
  • Nothing to see here... Move along
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2009, 01:42:28 AM »
Another week, another TED techno-pipedream... why does Bob waste his (and everyone's) time with these ridiculous nonstarters?

Because its these techno-pipedreams that make us excited about science and its wily ways

But isn't this supposed to be skepticism, not boosterism? I can find the latter a dozen other places.

I remember seeing a TED talk about how we where gonna control computers with a little puck connected via a serial cable. What a load of crap.
Three thousand quirks and counting...

personate-rain