Author Topic: SGU 5x5 #56  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Evan

• SGU Panel Member
  • Off to a Start
SGU 5x5 #56
« on: February 18, 2009, 07:06:40 PM »
Probability
"The masses are asses." - Perry DeAngelis

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
Re: SGU 5x5 #56
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:29:24 AM »
Probability

Are you certain about that? :)
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline Ender

• Brand New
Ethics of vaccination
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 03:13:38 PM »

The panel was way off base this week on vaccination.  Perhaps I misunderstood but the impression I got was that they thought kids should have to be vaccinated to go to public schools.  The idea of compelling what the contents of a persons body are is repugnant.  A persons body should be utterly sovereign to themselves.  If a choice were given not to go this would be fine but because it's paid for with public funds and the child must attend then it is highly immoral to compel them to be vaccinated.

I was vaccinated as a kid and again upon entering college.  I'm all for it but as with everything it should be voluntary.  I like Rebecca but she sometimes sounds like the liberal equivalent of Cartman. 

Offline filip_

• Seasoned Contributor
  • the skeptical artist
Re: Ethics of vaccination
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 09:18:34 PM »
A persons body should be utterly sovereign to themselves.

I don't know what country you live in, but where I come from children are to young to have their own autonomy in these kinds of situations. Furthermore, most governments do legislate what can and cannot go into our bodies, specifically drugs, and I do think it is appropriate to legislate on the use of vaccines. An important thing to remember is that vaccines do not only protect the vaccinated, but contribute to our herd immunity. If people don't get vaccinated, it could effect all of us.

-the praying men keep preying on my soul-
Does anyone else see the irony of swine flue in Israel?
"Blasphemy is, and will ever remain a victimless crime." -david oswald

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • So it goes.
Re: Ethics of vaccination
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »

The panel was way off base this week on vaccination.  Perhaps I misunderstood but the impression I got was that they thought kids should have to be vaccinated to go to public schools.  The idea of compelling what the contents of a persons body are is repugnant.  A persons body should be utterly sovereign to themselves.  If a choice were given not to go this would be fine but because it's paid for with public funds and the child must attend then it is highly immoral to compel them to be vaccinated.

I was vaccinated as a kid and again upon entering college.  I'm all for it but as with everything it should be voluntary.  I like Rebecca but she sometimes sounds like the liberal equivalent of Cartman.

No vaccinations should not be voluntary to enter public school.  If you're little rat bastard child is going to be wiping his snot-coated hands on school suplies my child will be touching, s/he'd better be vaccinated; my kid might be one of the ones that isn't helped by vaccines and relies on herd immunity to not get sick and die.  You must pay taxes to go to a public school, and you must be vaccinated, as far as I'm concerned.  Public school and other social services aren't free; to take part in them requires the sacrifice of some rights.  It's called living in a society; it's not free and in fact it requires one to take on responsibilities.  Grow the fuck up.

personate-rain