Hate crimes?

Yes
6 (46.2%)
No
5 (38.5%)
Undecided
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Real Time With Bill Maher  (Read 45690 times)

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
Real Time With Bill Maher
« on: February 21, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »
Not done yet but so far Ron Paul and Maxine Waters are neck and neck for the worst. What a shocker they are our elected representatives.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline smithkhome

• Well Established
  • Business in the front, business in the back.
Re: Real Time With Bill Maher
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 07:32:34 PM »

In the past, I used to watch Real Time.  However, I became bored with the show last year when every show went something like this:

Bill:  "How much does President Bush suck?"
Guest 1:  "Bush really sucks."
Guest 2:  "Bush is the suckiest person in the world."
Guest 3:  "Bush is the suckiest person ever."
Bill:  "I agree.  Now let's talk about something completely different.  How bad is President Bush?"

And I was certainly NOT a fan of Bush!

-smithk@home

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:44:13 PM »

In the past, I used to watch Real Time.  However, I became bored with the show last year when every show went something like this:

Bill:  "I agree.  Now let's talk about something completely different.  How bad is President Bush?"

-smithk@home

I agree, although I was into that at the time.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 01:42:03 AM »
Yawn.

Predictability is the enemy of humor.
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Moon Police

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:41:08 PM »
Ditto that.
Anyone else have an irrational hatred of Real Time contributor Matt Taibbi?
This Guy:

I can't really explain it, other than I don't like his demeanor/snarkyness.

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:55:55 PM »

-smithk@home

The show is definitely waaaay more entertaining when they have at least one conservative on the show to present an opposing view.  And, I could do without most of the celebrities; I guess I understand because it probably draws viewers, but I don't much care what Matt Damon thinks about the state of stock market, etc.
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 09:54:21 PM »

-smithk@home

The show is definitely waaaay more entertaining when they have at least one conservative on the show to present an opposing view.  And, I could do without most of the celebrities; I guess I understand because it probably draws viewers, but I don't much care what Matt Damon thinks about the state of stock market, etc.

I actually really like this show. I'm okay with them having celebrities on, now. It used to bug me, because I was like "what do I care what the fuck Coolio thinks about the war in Iraq?" The more I watched it, however, I started to think that they're people like I am, and have as much right to an opinion as any voter. Plus, they are more likely to say something idiotic and start controversy. Politicians are too careful about what they say. :D

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 10:30:02 PM »

-smithk@home

I actually really like this show. I'm okay with them having celebrities on, now. It used to bug me, because I was like "what do I care what the fuck Coolio thinks about the war in Iraq?" The more I watched it, however, I started to think that they're people like I am, and have as much right to an opinion as any voter. Plus, they are more likely to say something idiotic and start controversy. Politicians are too careful about what they say. :D

I agree. They say things like I see posted on forums instead of the talking points from both parties. Sometimes they are idiots and sometimes they actually inject some common sense. This is not a real example but I remember thinking how crazy Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins sounded about iraq. I know they are crazy but they called the shit out of that one.

The criticism that it isn't funny isn't really fair. It isn't a comedy show. Bill Maher is a comedian who does a political discussion show. He does inject humor and irreverence, but I don;t watch to laugh. I watch to see these people out of their comfort zone confronted by someone who will say anything.

Anything BTW includes crazy rants about big pharma.

Offline Leslie 417

• Well Established
  • Queen of Boobs
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 11:04:47 PM »
I like Bill Maher... some of his stuff is very predictable, but no more so than any other comedian who has been on air for as long as he has.... in my opinion anyway...

Of course having said that the guy is a wing nut and I disagree with most of the things he is for. (Not getting vaccinated, not eating meat ect.) But the guy has balls. He's not afraid to get booed on his own show.
Personally I would love to see something like "Gods apathy for Williams' family allowed family of four to die in car wreck"   ~ kat96

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 01:45:23 AM »
Now that the election is over Ron Paul really shows his true colors. He talked all kinds of libertarian crazy that he wouldn't have dreamed of saying out loud during the race.

Offline Leslie 417

• Well Established
  • Queen of Boobs
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 02:03:13 AM »
here are some clips, what do you guys agree or disagree with (Bill Maur points... some are kind of long but I'm asking about the bill Maur points)?

terrorism vs. natural disasters
http://www.youtube.com/v/xmCC_jasq0E

911 conspiracy
http://www.youtube.com/v/eQuIhJId1JY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/v/B5BJzEshMes&feature=related

10 commandments
http://www.youtube.com/v/rTcsCGcwhho&feature=related

mothers role vs fathers role ff to about 45 seconds in
http://www.youtube.com/v/wCdr-WZlRc4&feature=related
Personally I would love to see something like "Gods apathy for Williams' family allowed family of four to die in car wreck"   ~ kat96

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 11:52:47 AM »
In order, regarding whether I like or dislike Bill's stance,  I'd say like, like, like, like, meh.

Offline slicendice

• Well Established
  • 4d3d3d3
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 12:13:16 PM »
I'm all set to see Maher live next month, should be fun.
Purple is a fruit

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 11:46:19 PM »
George was and is friends with Brian Green in college if that helps his vote.

Offline seaotter

• Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 12:43:40 AM »
I've decided that Bill is the host and so he really can't compete with the others.

personate-rain
personate-rain