Author Topic: Obama political ad against Hillary  (Read 4148 times)

Offline rhodill

• Not Enough Spare Time
Obama political ad against Hillary
« on: March 18, 2007, 11:17:40 PM »

This is a rip-off of the 1984 Apple Superbowl Ad which introduced the Macintosh.

EDIT OK, not a ripoff but a blatant copy. I hear the Obama camp has officially denied any involvement.

It depicts the masses as mindless true believers. The enemy is Big Brother -be it The Hillary Machine or Microsoft[/b]
And what in Heaven’s name brought you to Casablanca?”
“My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.”
“But this is a desert — there are no waters.”
“I was misinformed.”

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 11:30:29 PM »
Nice parody.  The "apple style" O at then end gives it away.
The best debates are the ones in which I'm proven wrong.  Then I've learned something.

Offline sigmadog

• The Number You Are Thinking Of
    • http://www.sigmadog.com
Re: Obama political ad against Hillary
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 11:43:22 PM »
Quote from: "rhodill"

This is a rip-off of the 1984 Apple Superbowl Ad which introduced the Macintosh.

It's not just a ripoff in the sense of stealing an idea... it actually IS the Macintosh ad - with Hillary swapped out for the old guy with the narrow glasses. It's the exact same footage from the original Macintosh ad.

It's a funny idea, but creatively a very bad thing to do, and perhaps legally actionable if it were legitimately from the Obama camp. Ad professionals would (or should) know better.
ill design for biscuits.

Offline gweathers

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • http://lifeburns.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 01:16:42 AM »
it was also on a futurama episode when the guy from fry's time, the one with boneitis, was unfrozen and took over planet express. renamed it PlanEx. They through a package instead of a hammer though into I believe it was Mom's face. useless futurama trivia is good to have sometimes i guess  :roll:
quot;To be rational is to look the universe in the face and not flinch." - Anon~
"We apologise for the inconvenience" - God

Offline Havermayer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 03:14:26 AM »
I don't get what the point of the commercial was.
World Community Grid
Use your computer's idle time for cancer research.

Offline SkepThickHeaded

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 03:14:19 PM »
Quote from: "Havermayer"

It's not deep.  Obama is attacking Hilary's previous policies of paternalistic style of government, Hilary will attack him on his funny name.  In the end, a white man will probably get the nomination.
"When push comes to shove, you've got to do what you love...even if it's not a good idea"  Hermes Conrad

Offline Joe Shmoe

• Chief Rape Apologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 04:22:21 PM »
Quote from: "sigmadog"

It's not just a ripoff in the sense of stealing an idea... it actually IS the Macintosh ad - with Hillary swapped out for the old guy with the narrow glasses. It's the exact same footage from the original Macintosh ad.

It's actually a ripoff of an ad made for the iPod which was a ripoff of the 1984 Apple ad which was a ripoff of the movie/book.  You can see the woman is wearing an iPod, which of course would not be present in the 1984 version.  The iPod ad was afaik never aired on television, just at the MacWorld expo last year (might have been the year before).

Where's DCardani?

Offline sigmadog

• The Number You Are Thinking Of
    • http://www.sigmadog.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 06:37:54 PM »
Quote from: "Joe Shmoe"
Quote from: "sigmadog"

It's actually a ripoff of an ad made for the iPod which was a ripoff of the 1984 Apple ad which was a ripoff of the movie/book.  You can see the woman is wearing an iPod, which of course would not be present in the 1984 version.  The iPod ad was afaik never aired on television, just at the MacWorld expo last year (might have been the year before).

Where's DCardani?

Oh. I never saw the iPod ad. But technically it's not a ripoff if Apple does it, since it's their ad and they can do with it what they want. I wasn't aware that Apple ripped-off scenes from the movie for their original ad.
ill design for biscuits.

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 08:07:18 PM »
Quote from: "SkepThickHeaded"

It's not deep.  Obama is attacking Hilary's previous policies of paternalistic style of government, Hilary will attack him on his funny name.  In the end, a white man will probably get the nomination.

I seriously doubt Obama or his people had anything to do with this.  I think it's just the joke creation of some net dweeb somewhere.  Ithought the "apple style" O at the end made that pretty clear.
The best debates are the ones in which I'm proven wrong.  Then I've learned something.

Offline SkepThickHeaded

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 09:47:33 PM »
Quote from: "stickman"
Quote from: "SkepThickHeaded"

I seriously doubt Obama or his people had anything to do with this.  I think it's just the joke creation of some net dweeb somewhere.  Ithought the "apple style" O at the end made that pretty clear.

I totally agree, didn't mean it literally.  More than anything this appears to be a pretty good (unintentional) joke on the media, who are scrambling to get quotes from Obama's people denying involvement in it.   Proving yet again, the media is filled with gullible jackasses.
"When push comes to shove, you've got to do what you love...even if it's not a good idea"  Hermes Conrad

Offline Timothy Clemans

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 11:20:07 PM »
I thought the ad was interesting.
url=http://www.theskepticsguide.org][/url]

personate-rain