Author Topic: Are there any good books on 2012?  (Read 962 times)

Offline Beams

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Never trust a psychic with a doorbell
Are there any good books on 2012?
« on: February 24, 2009, 11:20:02 AM »
Yes, by "good," I mean books that debunk all the noise that's coming out about 2012.

Here's my situation: I volunteer once a week at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC, explaining how things like quadrants, astrolabes, and telescopes work. I get a lot of great questions, and meet people from all over the world who are interested in the universe. Lately, I've been getting more and more people asking about 2012, the end of the world, Mayan calendars, planetary/solar/galactic center alignments, etc. I'm sure it will get worse over the next few years, especially as more TV shows and movies come out.

I've found a bunch of good web sites and blogs that provide information about some of the specific claims, and I'm usually able to talk with the museum visitors about how there really won't be anything happening in 2012 that hasn't happened already. However, it's not so easy to refer people to a web site. I'd like to be able to say, "Go read X by Arthur Author, it will tell you all you need to know." Does anyone know of such a book (I've checked the usual book outlets, and only found what I don't want to recommend). If there isn't one, would someone mind writing it (Phil P., are you listening)?

Thanks.
"Eyesight should learn from reason." - Kepler

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
Re: Are there any good books on 2012?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 11:35:57 AM »
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

personate-rain
personate-rain