Author Topic: Episode # 188  (Read 6399 times)

Offline WooFighter

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode # 188
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2009, 01:38:47 PM »
@ChocolateCheepnis, #41:

"hot airplane juice"??

There are soooo many things just WRONG with the mental images that conjures up...

Offline quirk3k

• I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love.
  • Frequent Poster
  • Nothing to see here... Move along
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »
I was shocked to hear that some people like commercials. Perhaps one reason is because if they do not have a PVR that can pause and skip they don't know any different so they blithely accept ads as a part of the whole picture.

I don't think is was the ads they liked, it was the break. I'm sure they could have cut to an intermission screen or to a Bugs Bunny cartoon for 1 minute and the results would have been the same.
Three thousand quirks and counting...

Offline rev_matt_y

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Rev Matt
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2009, 04:06:52 PM »
I wouldn't say that I like commercials, so much as I don't mind a well done commercial for a product (movie, tv show, musician, service, etc) that I might actually be interested in.  To the best of my recollection most of the ads are for insurance companies/banks/financial institutions, cars, personal hygiene products, or prescription medicines.  None of which I am interested in.

Well, I'm interested in the topics (e.g. I practice personal hygiene, have insurance and a car, and on occasion use medicine) but at best have no interest in advertising on those topics.  When my daughter sees an ad for something an expresses an interest in it I say "Keep in mind that all ads are lies.  Don't believe that it is anything like what they say."  I hope to really drill that into her head.
It's not right, and it's not smart, but it's part of what makes us who we are - Red Green

Offline Jarrod

• Off to a Start
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2009, 06:49:25 PM »
Regarding commercials increasing the enjoyment of a show...

One idea I haven't seen put forth yet: perhaps people enjoy the show more because relative to commercials it is so much better? Returning to the show after an annoying commercial break could provide a sense of relief and perhaps even attachment to the show because it has essentially freed you from the horrible ad break.

Offline kem

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2009, 08:04:06 PM »
When I am visiting another country, I find the ads the most interesting things to watch.
"Americans will always do the right thing-after they have exhausted all the alternatives."

Winston Churchill

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
  • Hey Kids! It's Doctor Atlantis!
    • http://www.doctoratlantis.com
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
And Now a new segment called "Fidel Speaks":

Fidel says:
Quote from: Fidel Speaks
Yanqi's love commercials because they reinforce the capitalist religion of American Industrialism.  These commercials are the hymns between the sermons of their Imperialist Propaganda.  Can anyone not see that LOST is about the invasion of Cuba?  Is it not obvious that Gray's Anatomy is about trying to deify Che Guevarra as an anti-Marxist messiah figure redefined through a materialist subtext?  Surely we can all agree on this.

Offline louzer

• Off to a Start
  • Prometheus who changed his mind.
    • Me in Words
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2009, 10:07:55 AM »
Hi. I'd like to point out that lifeforms that had a penis to insert into another lifeform to exchange genetic material has been around before eukaryotes showed up.

Prokaryotes like bacteria have genes to form penis shaped protein complex called a pilus. And the + strain (which is like a male) sends its DNA across the pilus to the - strain (which is similar to a female).

This trait was preferable because it allowed diversity due to various distributions of various traits.

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2009, 05:02:11 PM »
Sometimes I watch TV shows online from those streaming places where the uploaders have stripped the commercials out; sometimes I watch the shows from the networks that run single ads at the same points the show ran ads when it was broadcast. If it's one of those short, comedies, I like watching it straight through. If it's an hour-long drama or suspense show, I don't mind the breaks. They are at points of suspense, they give you a good stopping place, and you get a few moments to process what you've seen and anticipate where the program could go next. It's breathing room.

I far prefer the 15-second and 30-second breaks online to the four or five-minute blocks on TV. Catching my breath is one thing. Having enough time to do a household chore before you get to return to the program really wrecks the mood.

Offline Phobos

• Brand New
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2009, 10:02:41 PM »
Regarding losing the moon...
Assuming it magically disappeared, wouldn't the sudden loss of mass in the Earth-xMoon system dramatically change our orbit around the sun? With less mass and the same orbital velocity, the Earth would spiral outward and settle in a more distant orbit.  Hello ice age!

Offline kem

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2009, 03:47:01 AM »
Assuming it magically disappeared, wouldn't the sudden loss of mass in the Earth-xMoon system dramatically change our orbit around the sun? With less mass and the same orbital velocity, the Earth would spiral outward and settle in a more distant orbit.  Hello ice age!

pleasant thought.  ta.
"Americans will always do the right thing-after they have exhausted all the alternatives."

Winston Churchill

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2009, 06:59:41 AM »

I don't think that would happen. Since the mass of the Earth (or Earth + Moon) is much smaller than that of the Sun, then the Sun can be regarded as more or less a fixed point in the solar system. The relationship between speed and radius or orbit is independent of mass - a pebble in the same orbit as Earth would still take a year to orbit - so I don't think removing the Moon would affect the Earth's average distance.

Of course, depending on what part of its orbit the Moon was in at the time it was removed, its momentum would have to go somewhere, and this could make the Earth's orbit a bit more (or less) elliptical, which could be a problem. But if we can imagine one impossible thing - making the Moon suddenly disappear - then we could imagine doing it in a way that makes the Earth's momentum stay unchanged as well (also impossible).
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline Leslie 417

• Well Established
  • Queen of Boobs
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2009, 07:01:12 AM »
The first thing I've ever been told about the moon is that it protects us from comets to space dust....

I wonder how much of a difference we would notice.
Personally I would love to see something like "Gods apathy for Williams' family allowed family of four to die in car wreck"   ~ kat96

personate-rain