Author Topic: Trying to tell a Korean you don't believe in god  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Cecil

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Cognitive Dissonance
Trying to tell a Korean you don't believe in god
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 09:05:08 AM »
Quote from: "Bartmon"

I don't know where in Canada you are from, but I live in the most right-wing backward part of the country (Alberta), but it's still like Rio De Janero compared to the American Midwest.

I'm from the American Midwest... What does that even mean?
"The least questioned assumptions are often the most questionable." ~ Paul Broca

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 09:48:01 AM »
Quote from: "Cecil"

I don't know where in Canada you are from, but I live in the most right-wing backward part of the country (Alberta), but it's still like Rio De Janero compared to the American Midwest.

Canada oddly seems to divide itself up into Eastern Canada and Western Canada. No one is sure what part Manitoba is in and no one really gives a rat's ass.

People in Detroit would say they're from the Midwest. Canadians right across the border would say they're from Eastern Canada.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline LaPalida

• Frequent Poster
  • To thy own self be true.
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 10:40:22 AM »
Even though British Columbia is in the West ... I consider Vancouver in the East  :P
"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure."
- Mark Twain

Offline blackclawdog

• Brand New
    • http://dogmafreeamerica.com
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 03:06:17 PM »
Quote from: "mindme"

Canada oddly seems to divide itself up into Eastern Canada and Western Canada. No one is sure what part Manitoba is in and no one really gives a rat's ass.

People in Detroit would say they're from the Midwest. Canadians right across the border would say they're from Eastern Canada.

I don't think the question meant: "what does the term 'American Midwest' mean?"  I think that the purpose of the question was to ask why the previous poster essentially called the Midwest an intolerant cultural backwater, when compared to the supposed shining example of Alberta, Canada.

Having been to both the American Midwest and Alberta Canada, I can say with confidence that the only real differences between the two are:

1.   That weird money they use in Alberta.
2.   Metric Imperialism in Canada.
3.   The experssion "eh."
4.   Alberta has mountains.

Otherwise, they are exactly the same.  Canadians have no cause to feel any moral superiority.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 11:21:58 PM »
Quote from: "blackclawdog"
Quote from: "mindme"

I don't think the question meant: "what does the term 'American Midwest' mean?"

Right. My comment was just an aside.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline LaPalida

• Frequent Poster
  • To thy own self be true.
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 12:26:50 AM »
Otherwise, they are exactly the same. Canadians have no cause to feel any moral superiority.

What you mean is, Albertan Canadians have no cause to feel any moral superiority. I personally think that the only Canadian province that is truly Canadian is probably Quebec, practically everything else is just a clone of America. This is directly because Quebec is French. I am talking out of my ass here since I hardly have been anywhere save Ontario, Quebec, and Nova Scotia.
"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure."
- Mark Twain

personate-rain