Author Topic: Searching while logged out  (Read 788 times)

Offline ChaoticMind

• Brand New
Searching while logged out
« on: March 10, 2009, 11:46:19 AM »
Hello,

It says here that users can search the forums while logged out, but apparently that's not possible until you login. This, admittedly, is a good incentive to create an account.

Anyway, I guess either the help section should be changed or searching should be allowed (again?) even when not logged in. The latter seems to be the better option to me.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I wonder who the webmaster behind the sgu website is? (anyone we know?) It's such a great site (this forums as well)! It seems weird that I've been a listener for so long and this is the first time I actually visit the site :) (rss ftw)

edit: nvm, i checked out the credits.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:49:41 AM by ChaoticMind »

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Searching while logged out
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 02:48:58 PM »
Allowing guests to search without being logged on has the potential to lead to a denial-of-service attack by initiating lots of database-intensive searches in a short amount of time.  So the latter option is out of the question.  The former is possible, but I'll admit it has a very low priority.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline ducky

• Well Established
    • http://skepticwiki.org
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:14:58 PM »
To be clear:

We have actually had this type of attack on these forums.  This is when I put a stop to searching the DB when logged out.

Offline ChaoticMind

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:11:59 PM »
Alright, that makes sense, thanks :)

personate-rain