Author Topic: Episode # 190  (Read 9140 times)

Offline zeerust2000

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode # 190
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2009, 09:36:22 AM »
With regard to the "twin vs clone" argument:  A clone may well be biologically equivalent to a twin in important ways, however socially there are significant differences.  Twins are, obviously, born at the same time and therefore have a parallel 'trajectory' through life.  Society is comfortable with this concept, if only because we have always lived with it, and thus socially adept twins are also, I would expect, comfortable with their situation.

On the other hand, to be a clone of an individual that was born possibly decades before raises issues that society has not yet had to deal with.  The clone could possibly face a kind of 'identity crisis', in which he or she feels that their identity is mixed up in some way with that of their clone-parent (do we have a term for this yet?). And this in a way which is fundamentaly different from the way we identify with parents, siblings, ancestors, or other family members.  I'm no psychiatrist, but I can imagine the potential issues that may arise from this.

I'm not arguing that human cloning should be disallowed because of this, though.  On the contrary, I believe in being extremely wary of dogmatic positions.  But, issues like this will have to be carefully considered if human cloning ever becomes a real possibility.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 09:46:27 AM by zeerust2000 »
"I think it's unlucky to be superstitious"

Offline kem

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2009, 11:05:32 PM »
With regard to the "twin vs clone" argument:  A clone may well be biologically equivalent to a twin in important ways, however socially there are significant differences.  Twins are, obviously, born at the same time and therefore have a parallel 'trajectory' through life.  Society is comfortable with this concept, if only because we have always lived with it, and thus socially adept twins are also, I would expect, comfortable with their situation.

On the other hand, to be a clone of an individual that was born possibly decades before raises issues that society has not yet had to deal with.  The clone could possibly face a kind of 'identity crisis', in which he or she feels that their identity is mixed up in some way with that of their clone-parent (do we have a term for this yet?). And this in a way which is fundamentaly different from the way we identify with parents, siblings, ancestors, or other family members.  I'm no psychiatrist, but I can imagine the potential issues that may arise from this.

I'm not arguing that human cloning should be disallowed because of this, though.  On the contrary, I believe in being extremely wary of dogmatic positions.  But, issues like this will have to be carefully considered if human cloning ever becomes a real possibility.

depending on the circumstances they exist within, the clone should just be happy to be alive, just like you or me. 
"Americans will always do the right thing-after they have exhausted all the alternatives."

Winston Churchill

Offline jawmo

• Congenitally Ostentatious
  • Frequent Poster
  • Fast 'n bulbous
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2009, 11:51:59 PM »
Cloning is interesting as a theoretical and ethical issue, but it's hardly a pressing one at the moment, nor was it a central focus of the episode. The theory of evolution, by contrast, is under constant attack by proponents of Intelligent Design, and the interview with Ken Miller contains some of the best arguments for natural selection, and against ID, I have heard.

For a somewhat livelier -- well, downright manic -- interview with Dr. Miller, see him with Steve Colbert:

http://www.brown.edu/Courses/BI0020_Miller/talks/colbert-miller.mov

Objectivity is sacrificed in the service of higher goals.
-- C. Sagan, "The Demon-Haunted World"