Do you like Who's that Noisy?

Fav. part of the show
Enjoy it and play it
Its ok, I deal.
Not Interested
Would prefer it replaced with more of Steve and the Rogues talking
Bring back Name that Logical...
Have a what to do with Vegan's segment

Author Topic: Just not a fan of who's that Noisy .. but Name that Logial Fallacy...  (Read 3388 times)

Offline danielzig

• Off to a Start
Re: Just not a fan of who's that Noisy .. but Name that Logial Fallacy...
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 11:24:10 PM »
I look forward to it.
Steve mentioned the Doppler Effect when a wind turbine was who's that noisy? Where else are ya gonna get that?

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 05:39:31 PM »

I think the reason they're moving away from the fallacies is that they cover them on the 5x5, though they still mention them in letters and emails.

This.  5x5 is a better place for Name that.

But Who's that Noisy is not that good.  I always skip to Jay's quote. 
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline wannabeplato

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 08:01:12 PM »
I look forward to it.
Steve mentioned the Doppler Effect when a wind turbine was who's that noisy? Where else are ya gonna get that?

I"m not saying some of the sounds are interesting, and if there is a science based reason for listening to then talk about it/think about it.  Cool. 

But the guessing isn't necessary.

"Well, once again, my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences... But the other head of science is bad. Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur. It bites." - The Tick

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 01:11:44 PM »
I don't really like it. I think the sounds are far too obscure, and not very interesting. But that's just me.

Either too obscure or blatantly obvious.  I usually quit listening when the whos that noisy starts.

Offline astrostu

• Well Established
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 02:17:33 PM »
Agree with "Ah.hell."  I never have any clue what those noises are.  I like the clips they have from past famous people associated with skepticism (like the Hudini clip was cool - I've never heard an audio from him).  But the noise from the wind turbine?  Or the falling meteor (I think that was one of the first ones ...)?

I think they took a humorous digression from the 2008 episode with the bird calls and tried to make it into this segment, and it just doesn't work.  The bird calls were funny.  It was just so random.  But "Who's that noisy" is just kinda annoying, in my opinion.  There's really not much thinking involved, it's just, "do you happen to know what this obscure noise is?"

But, I love it when they do a "Name that Logical Fallacy."  I know it's never been a regular, but I really would like it if they made it a regular segment.  And if "Who's that Noisy?" were bumped ... I wouldn't complain.

Offline JMA

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Scepticisme scientifique
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 10:00:23 PM »
I like when Steven Novella brings logical fallacies into a normal discussions in the show, but the "Name that Logical Fallacy" kind of anoys me, because most of the time it lacked preparation.

It was just: "hey, we had this email", and then the others had to say: I think it's that fallacy or that one. Most of the time it was not what Steven would have said. And the Steven Novella explained is opinion of it.

Guess that's link to the fact that a good philosopher (meaning someone with philosophical training) is missing in the SGU Rogues. I'm always disappointed when they talk about philosophy.

Having a real philosopher - who knows about epistemology, logic, and other stuff like that- would be a real plus for a segment like "Name that Logical Fallacy".

Offline Leslie 417

• Well Established
  • Queen of Boobs
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 04:25:18 AM »
I like when Steven Novella brings logical fallacies into a normal discussions in the show, but the "Name that Logical Fallacy" kind of anoys me, because most of the time it lacked preparation.

It was just: "hey, we had this email", and then the others had to say: I think it's that fallacy or that one. Most of the time it was not what Steven would have said. And the Steven Novella explained is opinion of it.

Guess that's link to the fact that a good philosopher (meaning someone with philosophical training) is missing in the SGU Rogues. I'm always disappointed when they talk about philosophy.

Having a real philosopher - who knows about epistemology, logic, and other stuff like that- would be a real plus for a segment like "Name that Logical Fallacy".

I find that's kind of the thing when people argue without trying to avoid logical fallacy's though... they tend to make more than one.

Like a conversation I had earlier this week with a hard core vegan that went something like...

"You are just stupid and ignorant 99% of scientists agree that eating meat is bad for you so you should know it's true, or do you just want every one to end up over weight?"

How many logical fallacy's can you find in that statement?
Personally I would love to see something like "Gods apathy for Williams' family allowed family of four to die in car wreck"   ~ kat96

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 04:28:15 AM »
"You are just stupid and ignorant 99% of scientists agree that eating meat is bad for you so you should know it's true, or do you just want every one to end up over weight?"

guh.  this is the worst bit of rationalization crap i've ever heard.  it really irritates me that dumb people are vegan too.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Leslie 417

• Well Established
  • Queen of Boobs
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 04:31:31 AM »

guh.  this is the worst bit of rationalization crap i've ever heard.  it really irritates me that dumb people are vegan too.

I know what you mean, I'm on the opposite side of it but I've heard way to many people say "I like hunting b/c it's cool to kill things"

You just want to slap them upside the head and tell them to get off of your side.
Personally I would love to see something like "Gods apathy for Williams' family allowed family of four to die in car wreck"   ~ kat96

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 04:33:51 AM »

I know what you mean, I'm on the opposite side of it but I've heard way to many people say "I like hunting b/c it's cool to kill things"

You just want to slap them upside the head and tell them to get off of your side.

lol!  exactly!

maybe we should put the "i like to hunt because killing things is awesome" people with the "meat is poison" people.  PROBLEM SOLVED.

Offline Leslie 417

• Well Established
  • Queen of Boobs
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 04:49:38 AM »

lol!  exactly!

maybe we should put the "i like to hunt because killing things is awesome" people with the "meat is poison" people.  PROBLEM SOLVED.

We could put them on a deserted island and film the ensuing  shanangins, then sell it to FOX. We would be rich.

Offline wannabeplato

• Well Established
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 09:18:37 PM »

lol!  exactly!

We could put them on a deserted island and film the ensuing  shanangins, then sell it to FOX. We would be rich.

I've updated the Poll to reflect this most recent line of discussion.
"Well, once again, my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences... But the other head of science is bad. Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur. It bites." - The Tick

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 02:21:21 AM »

lol!  exactly!

I've updated the Poll to reflect this most recent line of discussion.

;D  give them to me, i'll learn them good.*

*translation: we'll all stuff ourselves silly with delicious, tasty, home-cooked food.

personate-rain