Author Topic: Who's your favourite classical composer?  (Read 4419 times)

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner
Re: Who's your favourite classical composer?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 12:54:40 PM »
Gotta be Bach, but depends how played ...... so often it's just twiddle dee, twiddle dum, twiddle dee, twiddle dum (repeat).

(that's 3rd Brandenberg Concerto, instantly recognisable huh?).

Faves:

Bach D Minor Magnificat (several complete versions on Youtube, none much good though).

Goldberg Variations (played by Glen Gould of course!). There's a free version online via classicat, but a bit dire!

The Coffee Cantata (aha, that WOKE YOU UP!).

So ...... no Wagner fans?

(added) Oh, and Hayden liked to put jokes in his symphonies (having 1st invented the symphony!). Especially The Surprise ......

The siller side of classical music is entertainingly expressed by Victor Borge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Borge

http://www.archive.org/details/OTRR_Victor_Borge_Collection_Singles

also clips on youtube ......

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 01:02:48 PM by spiney »

Offline nocturnous

• Time Lord
  • Well Established
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 10:05:24 PM »
Sergei Prokofiev :D

Offline schubertiad

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Schubertiad's Music
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 08:16:53 PM »

So ...... no Wagner fans?

Nope.  He goes on and on and on and on and on....

There's a place for it, but I lean toward the concise.

The universe is the way it is regardless of your philosophy or religion, and science is a way to understand it as it is. If it doesn't line up with your philosophy or religion, it's time to learn anew.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »
I have to say that it's the Russians, especially Rimsky-Korsakov. I mean, the women's choir in this opera is just too great, and he was partly responsible for it:

http://www.youtube.com/v/t8C8frqCKKg
(And the Kirov... too much greatness in one country)

But I also have to admit that the most beautiful classical music I ever heard was Vivaldi's Spring played by a German quartet of four twentysomething friends busking in Galway.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:58:12 PM by Rai »

Offline AxeGrrl

• in my cell, making a shiv out of a toothbrush and saran wrap
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 01:44:53 AM »
Never really could get into classical.

Try listening to some more modern composers......like Lygeti or Penderecki or Bartok ~ almost anything used by Stanley Kubrick in films like 'The Shining' :)
"Wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Offline AxeGrrl

• in my cell, making a shiv out of a toothbrush and saran wrap
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 01:46:29 AM »
Stravinsky FTW!

It's amazing how many modern movie score composers have borrowed or or downright stolen orchestrations and chord combinations from The Rite of Spring. <<COUGH>>John Williams<<COUGH>>.

YES!   I remember the first time I ever listened to The Rite of Spring all the way through, in university......my first reaction was "wait a minute, that's the JAWS theme in there!!"

"Wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 06:21:47 AM »
Paganini

The speed metal violinist of the classical world.
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline leonet

• Well Established
    • http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?un=leonet&t=39227
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 01:08:39 PM »
I guess my general favorite is Maurice Ravel, I don't think anybody before or since had such a deep understanding of the piano.
Use the word cybernetics, Norbert, because nobody knows what it means. This will always put you at an advantage in arguments.” -Claude Shannon

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 01:32:12 PM »
Bach was baroque, but I don't care.  He's great.

Offline HumbertHumbert

• Brand New
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 01:51:09 PM »
First time post, wooo!

I could never really get into the baroque or classical era composers. I appreciate their compositional skills, but their music always seemed to be the cliche of what comes to mind when one thinks of classical music.

My favorite composers would probably be Desprez, Machaut, Ligeti, Feldman, and even current day avant-garde rock composers like Toby Driver and Charlie Looker.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 01:32:26 AM »
haydn for the piano concertos.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 07:29:02 AM »
Oh, and I forgot Diego Ortiz. I'm a sucker for 16th century music in general, but he's just the best.

Offline postwaste

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 03:17:48 PM »
Recently, one of my son's oldest friends was murdered. He was shot down because he bumped a guy's car. They had been friends since 1st grade, so nearly 20 years. After this I was feeling totally disgusted with humanity. Everywhere I looked, I saw the stupidity and brutality of the human race.

A couple weeks later, my wife and I went to the local Symphony concert. The highlight was Beethoven's 3rd Symphony. It has always been my favorite. I listened and let the music carry me away. By the time it was over I was in tears. Listening to that powerful music, I remembered that while the human species has produced a lot of ugliness, we also have produced a great deal of beauty.

It was an amazing healing experience, without a reliance on the supernatural. That has cemented my appreciation for Beethoven.

Sorry about the lengthy post, but I wanted to try to explain my reason.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:25:29 PM by postwaste »

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »
Recently, one of my son's oldest friends was murdered. He was shot down because he bumped a guy's car. They had been friends since 1st grade, so nearly 20 years. After this I was feeling totally disgusted with humanity. Everywhere I looked, I saw the stupidity and brutality of the human race.

A couple weeks later, my wife and I went to the local Symphony concert. The highlight was Beethoven's 3rd Symphony. It has always been my favorite. I listened and let the music carry me away. By the time it was over I was in tears. Listening to that powerful music, I remembered that while the human species has produced a lot of ugliness, we also have produced a great deal of beauty.

It was an amazing healing experience, without a reliance on the supernatural. That has cemented my appreciation for Beethoven.

Sorry about the lengthy post, but I wanted to try to explain my reason.

Sorry about the lengthy post, but

Not lengthy at all.  Thank you for sharing your experience.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 07:21:57 PM »
I've gotta give it to Stravinsky (especially for Petrouchka)

but nice to see love for Prokofiev
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.