Author Topic: Episode # 192  (Read 7994 times)

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Episode # 192
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 06:36:52 PM »
"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »
Do you mean the 'air tree' planned for Madrid? I remember reading about this one, but don't know if it got off the ground.

That may be where I mixed up the Spain reference, but I thought the actual structure I saw proposed was something like an inverted logarithmic horn.

The Madrid idea may be a nice way to grow trees but I don't think you'd get much of an updraft. A chimney generally needs to be a lot taller than it is wide to work efficiently, and I think a logarithmic taper would be the optimum to compensate for the higher speed of the air as it gets further up.

Here is a similar idea. It doesn't have the log shape, but maybe it compensates for that by using a lot less material (or maybe my knowledge of aerodynamics is worse than I thought).
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline mulkerin

• Off to a Start
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 08:49:37 PM »
I once visited a tangential universe and orange peels taste yummy under warranty. ;D

PS If properly situated, couldn't one of the super chimneys decrease rainfall over an ocean limiting the consequences to other land regions?  Also, yes, you'd never get it approved in the US, but China has Three Gorges, Dubai is building islands, etc. so if it were feasible, someone might try it.

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 10:10:53 PM »
Re: Super Chimneys, a few years back I thought of something similar in a large solar array stretching nth to sth across central Australia.  I thought that it could create an inversion layer forcing warm air upwards like mountain ranges do and increasing rainfall in nearby regions.  Of course it would be prohibitively expensive and may not work but it could at the minimum provide clean power to all of Australia.
"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 04:52:25 AM »
Science or Fiction: I think that if Steven thought about a clinical situation he could see the value of patients letting him do the decision-making...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline matt_g

• Doesn't Panic
    • my site
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 06:20:31 AM »
Who's That Noisy:

it sounds like an MRI scanner.

Also, the solar chimney thing that was mooted for Australia last year is at:

http://www.livescience.com/technology/080702-pf-solar-tower.html

cheers,
mattg.
"...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Offline Bastard Soap

• Off to a Start
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 06:59:16 AM »
Hmmmm...would it make sense to actually cut out SUPEEER CHImney out of a mountain?

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 07:40:34 AM »
I was going to guess on who's that noisy, but it's kinda pointless now. I just got to listen and there are already a bunch of guesses.
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 07:46:44 AM »
I just listened to the superchimney part again, because I couldn't believe something I thought I had heard, but sure enough, there it was ... the SGU guide to encouraging innovative thinking ...

"Go out, have a drink, get laid. Just have a good time, you know, like don't just sit there and talk about chimneys. The chimney's not gonna get you laid."

Hello? Is this the SGU, or is it the great science-hating masses I'm listening to?

Perhaps the panel might moderate some of their dismissive comments a bit once they've seen some of the links for real projects we have posted here. Or perhaps not.
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 10:28:16 AM »
OK... I'm going to make a completely different guess on Who's that noisy.

Michael J. Fox playing the guitar in Back to the Future, right before the speaker explodes. The ticking is the clocks in the background.

The studio recording before it was mixed into the movie.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:32:20 AM by Evil Eye »
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 12:10:38 PM »
Rebecca was pretty funny this week.  8)

-----------

for Jay:

Jean Paul Sartre's name is usually pronounced either 'sar-trih' (as Steve said it), or by some people just 'sart'

but points for getting "Jean" right :P

(I'm not French, just a long time fan of Existentialism)

-----------

another interesting one from Sartre, some here might enjoy:

", , , only unreal objects have no other consequences than those he wants to draw from them."
 - Jean-Paul Sartre, The Psychology of the Imagination
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 01:08:55 PM »
"Go out, have a drink, get laid. Just have a good time, you know, like don't just sit there and talk about chimneys. The chimney's not gonna get you laid."

Hello? Is this the SGU, or is it the great science-hating masses I'm listening to?

I think that's what's commonly referred to as "levity." Very common in shows that try to entertain their listeners.

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 02:46:53 PM »
Ok, so here's what I'm picturing.  In our mech-soldiers in the future, they have a small blood-factory onboard that replenishes blood lost by any shrapnel damage.  The same machine can pump painkillers and amphetamines into the soldier.

Eat your heart out, terminator.

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 03:08:29 PM »
As far as whether or not a 3 mile high, .7 mile diameter chimney is physically possible...

well, I'm an enginner(ing grad student), and I ran some calculations.

1 + 1 = not a chance in hell

Now he did show a picture of the chimney being hollowed out of a mountain, and that makes more sense, though geological concerns would be huge, I'm sure.  The problem with that idea is that a mountain already causes said updrafts, and we'd be just as well off mounting wind turbines on mountainsides.  Mountains cause the rainfall he's looking for (basically his chimney is a fake mountain).

Offline Utumnodorus

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 03:08:42 PM »
Ok, so here's what I'm picturing.  In our mech-soldiers in the future, they have a small blood-factory onboard that replenishes blood lost by any shrapnel damage.  The same machine can pump painkillers and amphetamines into the soldier.

Eat your heart out, terminator.

Only until we replace organic soldiers with robots (see episode 136). Don't count out the terminator just yet.

personate-rain