Author Topic: Episode # 192  (Read 7764 times)

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
Re: Episode # 192
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2009, 06:06:49 AM »
As for the real super chimney, here's the full story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_updraft_tower

It also describes the prototype in Spain.

That looks a lot more feasible than the "super chimney" idea. Maybe the chimney construction would be a good candidate for concrete made with carbon-negative magnesium silicate cement.

I think the idea that these chimneys might modify local climate, e.g. causing rain in deserts, is unlikely, but worth looking into.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:12:53 AM by Trinoc »
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline Feros

• Brand New
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2009, 12:07:21 PM »
I think the noise is a Van de Graaff generator a lot like a tesla coil..... but not hehe

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2009, 12:22:11 PM »
I think the noise is a Van de Graaff generator a lot like a tesla coil..... but not hehe

I thought the only noise of a VDG generator was the sound of a motor driving the belt, plus the odd loud crack as the sparks discharge.

I'm not sure the noise is really distinctive enough to be uniquely identifiable. It could be someone testing a fog horn for all we know. About the only specific clue is the faint "chuff chuff chuff" sound between the blasts - and if a previous WTN is anything to go by, that could just be an artefact from digital noise reduction.
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline glenfallswv

• Off to a Start
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009, 09:02:32 PM »
The noisy sounds a bit like the warning sound played as the hangar bay doors were closed on an aircraft carrier I was on.  That chugging sound isn't quite the same so I doubt this is it.  But there are a lot of warning noises in facilities that have large heavy slow-moving dangerous objects around.

Offline I am Nintendo

• Evil Spawn #1
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Worshiper of Arceus
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2009, 09:03:54 PM »
My unbelievably LATE guess for "Who's That Noisy?"

It sounds like a warning alarm used before or during use of a radiation source.
One man's psychopath is another man's prophet.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Armageddon Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2009, 09:58:46 PM »
on the subject of the pronunciation of jean-paul sartre:

i thought evan did a pretty good job of saying his last name right when he was doing his impression of a frenchman, actually. maybe a little too much emphasis on the last syllable.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2009, 10:21:49 PM »

i thought evan did a pretty good job of saying his last name right when he was doing his impression of a frenchman, actually. maybe a little too much emphasis on the last syllable.

I think the french pronunciation would almost sound more like "sart," since they tend to almost drop the 're' at the end of words and just replace it with a very slight uvular fricative.

Offline craig

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2009, 11:52:07 PM »

I think the french pronunciation would almost sound more like "sart," since they tend to almost drop the 're' at the end of words and just replace it with a very slight uvular fricative.

Hey watch the language!

This isn't the explicit section you know. ;)
"Why ya gotta act like you know when you don't know....It's okay if you don't know everything." --- Ben Folds

Offline Opcn

• Frequent Poster
  • Home of the Reef Tank.
    • facebook
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2009, 12:21:30 AM »
I would expect that the tremendous wind generated would dry the land exactly as much as it added moisture to the atmosphere.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Armageddon Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2009, 08:30:36 AM »

as a professional frenchman (and linguist), i don't agree with this at all. i always hear the "re" pronounced quite clearly.

unless you're talking about canadian french. then it's spot-on. but since sartre is from france, i didn't think it applied.

do you mean voiced or voiceless uvular fricative? not that there's much of a difference between the two in french... so nevermind that.

i guess either would be understood by most french speakers. i mean anything from "sart" to a full pronunciation of the final "re." it's just that it doesn't seem right to say "sart." i mean, maybe that's what i would say in everyday spoken language, but he died 30 years ago and things were different then.

should "spot on" be hyphenated? damn! i don't know.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2009, 02:01:10 PM »

as a professional frenchman (and linguist), i don't agree with this at all. i always hear the "re" pronounced quite clearly.

unless you're talking about canadian french. then it's spot-on. but since sartre is from france, i didn't think it applied.

do you mean voiced or voiceless uvular fricative? not that there's much of a difference between the two in french... so nevermind that.

i guess either would be understood by most french speakers. i mean anything from "sart" to a full pronunciation of the final "re." it's just that it doesn't seem right to say "sart." i mean, maybe that's what i would say in everyday spoken language, but he died 30 years ago and things were different then.

should "spot on" be hyphenated? damn! i don't know.

Hmm....i think it's a voiced uvular fricative? I dunno....I pulled that term out of my ass, mostly. I was trying to emphasize that there is a sound made after "sart" but it doesn't sound like "sart-ruh." But, I'm no expert in french, by any stretch of the imagination.

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2009, 04:00:14 PM »
I was trying to emphasize that there is a sound made after "sart" but it doesn't sound like "sart-ruh." But, I'm no expert in french, by any stretch of the imagination.

the way I'd write phonetically the way I've heard the majority of professors I've heard speak on Sartre pronounce his name would be Sar-'trih', not 'truh'--a slightly lighter sound; less emphasized.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline wannabeplato

• Well Established
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2009, 12:16:03 AM »
With the question of causing rain in one area and taking it away from another.....  I was surprised they didn't talk about rain that was not on land... If there are areas that we could cause rain and have it not rain at sea, thats a net profit for us while still equal for the planet..

"Well, once again, my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences... But the other head of science is bad. Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur. It bites." - The Tick

Offline anthraxus

• Doesn't Panic
    • Raging Gargoyle Games, LLC.
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
The idea of Quantum Jumping is directly lifted from the Jet Li Movie "The One" where a cop becomes involved in an assassination attempt against himself by and alternate reality version of himself.

The theory the movie works under is that each person has a fixed level of "power" that is even spread through all the realities (of which there is a finite number).  If one of you kills another version of you, the killing you will absorb the "power" of the now dead you.  If you kill all of your alternates you become a god-like kung fu pseudo-deity.

personate-rain
personate-rain