Author Topic: 15 years  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
15 years
« on: April 08, 2009, 07:23:18 PM »
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline gone

• Well Established
Re: 15 years
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 11:32:09 AM »
I wasn't old enough at the time to realize what a talent he was.   But you never know, had he not been depressed and suicidal, maybe his music would have sucked.

Offline hunter

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
seeing as have though how record companies are looking for any excuse to milk revenue these days, I'm still wondering why Geffen (or whatever parent company is responsible for DGC) has yet to release the "unlistenable" original Steve Albini mix of In Utero.

Death has this odd way of crystallizing these personalities when whoever knows what path they could have followed.  Most of my memories of Nirvana are nostalgia based, but I can't help but wonder if he could have pushed himself out of that overly Pixies influenced area and found his own voice a little more.  You could hear it on some songs, but sadly we'll never know now will we.

What if Duff McKagan had gotten Kurt to hang out with him that week and maybe have given him the start of personally advising him help out of that drug spiral he was locked into at the time?  If he had gotten clean, would there have been the obligatory bad album so many acts seem to make when they get sober? 

*shrug*
"Everybody understands Mickey Mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse. Hardly anyone understands Albert Einstein. And nobody understands Emperor Norton."

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »
seeing as have though how record companies are looking for any excuse to milk revenue these days, I'm still wondering why Geffen (or whatever parent company is responsible for DGC) has yet to release the "unlistenable" original Steve Albini mix of In Utero.

Death has this odd way of crystallizing these personalities when whoever knows what path they could have followed.  Most of my memories of Nirvana are nostalgia based, but I can't help but wonder if he could have pushed himself out of that overly Pixies influenced area and found his own voice a little more.  You could hear it on some songs, but sadly we'll never know now will we.

What if Duff McKagan had gotten Kurt to hang out with him that week and maybe have given him the start of personally advising him help out of that drug spiral he was locked into at the time?  If he had gotten clean, would there have been the obligatory bad album so many acts seem to make when they get sober? 

*shrug*

What if Elvis and Freddy Mercury took to singing with Keith Moon as their drummer and Hendrix playing lead guitar?

Offline hunter

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 02:06:26 PM »

What if Elvis and Freddy Mercury took to singing with Keith Moon as their drummer and Hendrix playing lead guitar?

Only if Brian Jones learned how to swim and could join them
"Everybody understands Mickey Mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse. Hardly anyone understands Albert Einstein. And nobody understands Emperor Norton."

Offline Halleyscomet

• My Pointless Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 02:51:44 PM »

Only if Brian Jones learned how to swim and could join them

With Janis Joplin doing the lead female vocals of course.

Mama Cass?  She's in charge of making sure everyone has the right drugs.  ;)

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 06:30:10 PM »
only if jim morrison and jeff buckley are included.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Halleyscomet

• My Pointless Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
only if jim morrison and jeff buckley are included.

That's a LOT of major vocalists. I think at this stage we're talking about a multi-band concert as opposed to a single act.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 11:30:21 AM »
i was thinking buckley could be the blue guitarist and morrison could write lyrics and maybe do bass vocals like in a barbershop quartet...
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline hunter

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 11:52:41 AM »
Kreiger and Manzarek were the heart of the Doors.  Morrison was a hedonistic, drug-addict, wannabe poet with questionable grooming skills.

although he did bang Nico.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 12:33:08 AM »
He died at the ideal age. Sad, yes, but did we really want him to go the way of Elvis?

Not that it is a good thing that he died mind you.  Just....you know.

Offline AxeGrrl

• in my cell, making a shiv out of a toothbrush and saran wrap
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 06:49:02 AM »
Morrison was a hedonistic, drug-addict, wannabe poet with questionable grooming skills.

'questionable'?

we're talking about Jim wakes-up-in-his-own-puke-wears-the-same-pair-of-leather-pants-for-DAYS Morrison and grooming/hygiene.

i fail to see anything 'speculative' about the assertion that he was a pig  :)

"Wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

personate-rain