Author Topic: Are osteopathic doctors "real doctors"?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline tongodeon

• Off to a Start
    • http://tongodeon.livejournal.com
Are osteopathic doctors "real doctors"?
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:39:23 PM »
We've having a discussion on the bay area skeptics' facebook page over whether osteopathic physicians are "real doctors". I think the subject could be a good one to explore on the show:

- How they're the same (what MDs can do that ODs are also licensed to do)
- How they're different (what are they taught that MDs aren't)
- To what extent ODs have escaped their woo-based origins
- To what extent they haven't (Is OMM actually effective? How many ODs practice it after they graduate?)
- How different is American osteopathic practice from European osteopathic practice?

Offline kem

• Frequent Poster
Re: Are osteopathic doctors "real doctors"?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »
Osteopaths are not "real" doctors here.  They limit themselves pretty much to back problems solved with massage and manipulation.  I had a great job done by the osteopath today on my lower back.
"Americans will always do the right thing-after they have exhausted all the alternatives."

Winston Churchill

Offline Wholly Father

• Off to a Start
Re: Are osteopathic doctors "real doctors"?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:01:47 PM »
Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine (DO's) are definitely "real" doctors.  The differences between MD's and DO's are mostly historical  As I understand it, their training today is identical (or nearly identical) to that of an MD.  DO licensing and scope of practice is the same as for MD.   DO's are accepted into residencies and fellowships at medical schools, and vice-versa.

The designation for an Osteopath is "DO"

"OD" is for optometrists.

personate-rain