Author Topic: Podcast #53  (Read 25402 times)

Offline Rustle

• The Number You Are Thinking Of
Podcast #53
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2006, 12:52:46 PM »
Quote from: "azinyk"
I don't think I've ever heard the all-black puzzle before, but I thought it was pathetically easy.  I figured it out before Steve finished reading the puzzle.  I'm not sure lateral thinking is required, because there's no reason to assume it's nighttime.

Suppose I said:  A man is chained to a wall.  He has no snorkel or scuba tank, he can't lift his head, and there is no one else around to help him buddy-breathe.  Why doesn't he drown?

Well, when I said he was chained to the wall, is there any reason to assume he's underwater?  Of course not.  Saying the kid didn't have a flashlight is like saying he didn't have a scuba tank or a harpsichord - it should set off your non-sequiter detectors.

Ashley Zinyk

I found to be quite easy as well.  However, I do think it illustrates how a question can assume facts not in evidence.  The question, "how could the driver see the boy crossing the street?", plants the idea that this should not in fact be possible, or at the least, requires a special explanation.

Offline Roy P

• Off to a Start
    • http://www.roypreston.co.uk
Podcast #53
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2006, 03:18:13 PM »
Quote from: "Rustle"
I found to be quite easy as well.

I didn't. The solution came to me when I read Zylark's analysis early in this thread. It's easier to spot when the problem is written down.

(To view my answer press CRTL-A)

How do you get to your answer with a Mac?
Roy P

Offline Sillysighbean

• Triskaidekaphilic
    • http://www.myspace.com/jimpatten
Podcast #53
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2006, 03:28:02 PM »
After coming up with with the answer to the puzzle,  I felt so proud of myself until I was  informed that it was so easy! Now I am back to being my normal dullard self...thanks guys!  Shout out to Roy P....yeah, i got a mac too, how did you get that picture of the baby posted? Avatar won't let me do it..  If you emailed, I would greatly appreciate it.  Cheers 'cross the Atlantic.

Offline psyopsgr

• Off to a Start
Political correctness is good too
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2006, 04:50:19 PM »
Hi guys, love the podcast, its a good insight into american mainstream thinking for me.
   I blog from greece, where political correctness was vehemently opposed and vilified before it even arrived. greece has a grossly politically incorrect public sphere regarding sensitivity to weaker portions of the polulation (women, gays, religious and ethnic minorities), whereas huge sensitivity is paid to established social groups, like the church. Particularly in everyday life people are totally insensitive, downright rude and even predatory to anyone outside a rather tightly knit mainstream.
  It is strange for a european country, where lip service is paid to tolerance and human rights, to display in real life more middle eastern traits of intolerance and deep social conformism, regarding political correctness in particular. On the other hand Greece is pretty liberal regarding other social issues that are pretty controversial in the US. For example, abortion is a non issue, there's tons of them taking place and people are only superficially religious.
   So my point is, political correctness can be a drag when you' ve had too much of it, but believe me, not having it around is even worse.
 cynic from Greece...my friends though would call me a sophist with a mean streak... I would describe myself as a concerned dreamer ;-)

Offline Three

• Not Enough Spare Time
Podcast #53
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 07:31:14 PM »
Quote from: "azinyk"
I'm not sure lateral thinking is required, because there's no reason to assume it's nighttime.

Yeah, but what if god prevented him from getting hit by the car?

:roll:

:shock:
 didn't do it.

Offline Clintsc9

• Not Enough Spare Time
Podcast #53
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 09:37:22 PM »
Quote from: "Roy P"

Ctrl-A is select all.  So do whatever you need to do with a Mac to select all.  But all you really need to do is click and drag over the space to highlight what is written there in the same colour as the background.
Clint Lovell
--------------
Why does confirmation bias always happen to me?

Offline Kerry Maxwell

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • http://www.bwanasonic.com
Podcast #53
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 12:37:20 PM »
For those interested in the issues raised by the insanity defense, I highly recommend "Insanity: The Idea and It's Consequences", by Thomas Szasz. I'd love to hear Szasz as a guest on the show.

Kerry M

Offline Sillysighbean

• Triskaidekaphilic
    • http://www.myspace.com/jimpatten
Perry is the funniest
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 01:10:37 PM »
Last week I drove to Atlantic City to see comedian George Carlin. My car is equipped with satellite radio and an iPod. I listened to Howard Stern on the way down and #53 podcast on the way back. Perry's fart jokes were the ones the made me laugh out loud. What a wonderful chemistry this team has, balancing scientific fact with humor. I wish them all much success.

Offline Nomadic

• Brand New
Recycling
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2006, 05:49:21 AM »
I listened to the podcast, and there were some comments about how recycling doesn't work.  What was the source for this?
Here in England there's not enough space to landfill everything, so recycling helps with this.
I'd be interested to see the link to the study or whatever it is that shows it's useless.

Offline Nomadic

• Brand New
Podcast #53
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2006, 05:53:50 AM »
By the way, political correctness is live and kicking in England, as well as some of the more germanic and nordic European countries (Germany, Netherlands, Sweden etc.)
It works in tandem with its partner in evil - the health & safety lobby, which is doing a good job of stopping people doing anything vaguely interesting.

Offline Leigh

• Off to a Start
Re: Recycling
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2006, 12:10:36 PM »
Quote from: Nomadic
I listened to the podcast, and there were some comments about how recycling doesn't work.  What was the source for this?
Here in England there's not enough space to landfill everything, so recycling helps with this.
I'd be interested to see the link to the study or whatever it is that shows it's useless.

I believe at least one of the sources for this was Penn and Teller's 'Bullshit' series. Try Penn and Tellers website, you may have some luck there.
quot;When you hear people in church debasing themselves and saying that they are miserable sinners, and all the rest of it, it seems contemptible and not worthy of self-respecting human beings": Bertrand Russell
www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/library.html

Offline Tai Fung

• Frequent Poster
    • Everybody Tai Fung Tonight!
Podcast #53
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2006, 12:43:47 PM »
Quote from: "kiwidust"
One aspect of the Yates case that (I think) Rebecca was trying to make and didn't quite get was the relative definitions of "insane".

[snip]

Most rules come down to an inability to alter ones actions or understand the difference between right and wrong.

[snip]

While I don't entirely agree with the result in the Yates case, I just wanted to echo Kiwi's excellent post.  Of course Yates is insane.  But the question is really, when she did the crimes, did she know the difference between right and wrong?

Anyway, I thought Kiwi hit the nail on the head, and wanted to give props.  :D

Anyway,
Atheism should be about "Science and Social Justice" the same way Math should be about "Numbers and Fashion."

Offline Rustle

Podcast #53
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2006, 01:39:08 PM »
Quote from: "Roy P"
I found to be quite easy as well.

I didn't. The solution came to me when I read Zylark's analysis early in this thread. It's easier to spot when the problem is written down.

Ummm how did you get that quote, which I never wrote?  Now that IS a puzzle!

Offline Tai Fung

• Frequent Poster
    • Everybody Tai Fung Tonight!
Podcast #53
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2006, 01:39:57 PM »
Quote from: "Steven Novella"
OK - it was an easy puzzle. Get off your collective high horse.  :)

Now - for all you listeners crowing about how easy the puzzle was, send me your own skeptical puzzles to use on the show. Send them directly to snovella@theness.com.

Thanks,

Here's my suggestion -- how many (metaphorical) fingers was Steve holding up when he put the smackdown on people just then.  ;)   :D    :lol:
Atheism should be about "Science and Social Justice" the same way Math should be about "Numbers and Fashion."

Offline Rustle

Podcast #53
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2006, 02:04:14 PM »
Quote from: "RMZ"
Quote from: "kiwidust"

[snip]

Most rules come down to an inability to alter ones actions or understand the difference between right and wrong.

[snip]

Of course Yates is insane.  But the question is really, when she did the crimes, did she know the difference between right and wrong?

Apologies for hair-splitting but, "insane" is a legal term.  If you are insane, by definition you meet the criteria for legal insanity, since... its only a legal term.  I think you were trying to say something like, "of course she was crazy but was she insane?"

Personally, I find the average legal test for mental insanity to be clumsy and insufficient.  Would you like to be the person to wade through and decide if Andrea knew the difference between right and wrong?  She has stated that she believes that murder is wrong... and at the same time she believed that she was saving her children from an eternity of damnation... which clearly god would want, right?  If Andrea believed it was a greater wrong to not protect her children from satan's grasp, and that to do nothing would have been wrong in the eyes of god...then therefore killing her children would have been the right thing to do, even though she may have realized at the same time that it was against the law...

I don't know about you, but I get nauseous just having to consider these sorts of subjective, internal, spiritual/emotional/religious/BS types of value calls.  To me it would be a little more simple.  She was clearly crazy. She has a personal and a family history of being crazy.  She was under a doctors care.  She was pressured to not follow medical advice.  If you want to place some blame in this case, take a closer look at the actions of Andrea's husband and this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Peter_Woroniecki

personate-rain
personate-rain