Author Topic: Podcast #53  (Read 25353 times)

Offline azinyk

• Well Established
PC in Canada
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2006, 02:10:30 PM »
I would say that so-called "political correctness" is not very prevalent in Canada.

The word "Indian" to refer to an aboriginal is looked down upon, although because treaties were written long ago, we still have a Ministry of Indian Affairs, and refer to "Status Indians".  Other groups don't generally have euphemistic names (Terms like "black" and "disabled" are okay).

64/308 Members of Parliament are women, along with 2/7 astronauts.  Women are fully integrated in the armed forces, including submarine and fighter pilot duty (unlike the US).  Also, at least one infantrywoman has died in combat.  I don't think that women are illegitimately heroized; among the few female Canadian heroes are Nellie McClung, who won the right of women to be considered legal persons, and Laura Secord, a sort of Paul Revere-figure who warned that the Americans were invading.

Terry Fox is a big-time disabled hero (he died trying to run across the country, with one artificial leg, in support of cancer research), but I would say that's the result of grassroots support, rather than PC.

Backlash against PC is a little stronger.  Some people consider it PC pandering to allow Sikhs to ride motorcycles without wearing helmets (because of their turbans).  Some people consider it insane not to racially profile terror suspects, but we did profile Ukrainians during WW1, and Japanese and Italians during WW2, and nobody is very proud of it.

Ashley Zinyk

Offline Rustle

• The Number You Are Thinking Of
Podcast #53
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2006, 05:00:28 PM »
Quote from: "Steven Novella"
OK - it was an easy puzzle. Get off your collective high horse.  :)

Now - for all you listeners crowing about how easy the puzzle was, send me your own skeptical puzzles to use on the show. Send them directly to snovella@theness.com.

Thanks,

I don't think that these puzzles need to be difficult in order to be instructive.  Personally I thought this weeks puzzle was a very good one.  It illustrated two things very nicely:  1) the leading question and 2) the squid-ink cloud of irrelevent details.  

I should also confess, I actually had to back up the mp3, because I almost remember you stating "it was night out" or something to that effect.  If I wasn't looking for a trick, I would have incorrectly remembered this statement, and honestly, if you hadn't announced that it was a lateral-thinking puzzle, I would have been much more easily led and fooled by the squid-ink that followed.

Offline Tai Fung

• Frequent Poster
    • Everybody Tai Fung Tonight!
Podcast #53
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2006, 06:04:08 PM »
Quote from: "Rustle"
Quote from: "RMZ"
Quote from: "kiwidust"

[snip]

Most rules come down to an inability to alter ones actions or understand the difference between right and wrong.

[snip]

Of course Yates is insane.  But the question is really, when she did the crimes, did she know the difference between right and wrong?

Apologies for hair-splitting but, "insane" is a legal term.  If you are insane, by definition you meet the criteria for legal insanity, since... its only a legal term.  I think you were trying to say something like, "of course she was crazy but was she insane?"

All very fair points to raise, and you're 100% correct -- what I was trying to get across was "Of course she was crazy."  :D   :wink:
Atheism should be about "Science and Social Justice" the same way Math should be about "Numbers and Fashion."

Offline slammermx

• Off to a Start
black car black clothing
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2006, 07:52:46 PM »
I was sure the driver of the car was psychic.

Offline Carl

Podcast #53
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2006, 10:06:34 AM »
I could have sworn that the answer to the puzzle was something to do with aurorae or noctilucent clouds reflecting the light from Venus through swamp gas.  :D

We used to have a geography teacher at school who sometimes spent whole lessons posing logic puzzles such as these. We would also be set written exams that contained purposefully incorrect or misleading information to try and trip you up (a very simple example: How many animals of each type did Moses take into the Ark?).

I probably learnt alot less in geography about linear conurbation or the ecosystem of the Amazon basin than I should have, but I think we could do with a few more teachers taking time out of the curriculum to teach basic skeptical analysis in this way.

Offline Carl

Podcast #53
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2006, 10:08:41 AM »
Sorry. A quick post to take my 'number of posts' to 14.
Didn't want to alarm any triskaidekaphobics on the forum.

Offline psyopsgr

• Off to a Start
Podcast #53
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2006, 11:05:18 AM »
actually, 13 is called dekatria in modern greek...i believe in ancient too...so the phobia is best called dekatriaphobia os something...unless somebody named it triakaidekaphobia...which is unfortunate...since tria-kai-deka sounds like 10 past 3 in modern greek...probably making that fear of 10 past 3 as opposed to fear of 13 :)
 cynic from Greece...my friends though would call me a sophist with a mean streak... I would describe myself as a concerned dreamer ;-)

Offline Anders Nilsson

• Brand New
Podcast #53
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2006, 11:24:43 AM »
I can't say that the level of political correctness is overwhelming in Sweden where I live although it's pretty impossible to say something in a public debate about immigration without everybody asuming that you are neo-nazi. Most of those who speak up are right-wing nutters so the asumption has some merit but it still chokes any debate.
Im glad to say that there is some skeptic view of PC in this country so when an organisation against racism loudly claimed that an ice-cream manufacturer who named an ice-cream "Nogger" was racist all newspapers laughed at them.

Offline jesuspi

• Off to a Start
    • http://jesuspi.blogspot.com
Bird flight and Monkey combat!
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2006, 12:35:37 PM »
RE: Bird Flight, check this great on-line physics textbook www.motionmountain.net It has a chapter entitled "Bacteria, flies and knots" http://www.motionmountain.net/C-9-FLKN.pdf with a very thorough description of how airplanes, birds and insects fly. The book is written at a fairly easy level so it could be understood by high school kids.

RE: Monkeys v. Birds, a bird might beat a monkey in a fight... if the monkey were drunk, smoking and stoned! Monkeys are stronger and have the ultimate weapons: their hands are free to punch and have the intelligence to wield a long stick. Those birds would be dinner before they could even try to nose-dive to attack.  

I'm yet to see evidence of a bird beating the primate ot of a monkey, so PROVE ME WRONG! HAHAHA I double-monkey dare you!

Besides if birds could beat monkeys, Penn Jillette would have to change his radio show... BIRD TUESDAY! does it sound funny? nah, but now say MONKEY TUESDAY!

I rest my case.

Offline cyborganics

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • http://www.cyborganics.org
Podcast #53
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2006, 03:05:44 PM »
didldidli - didldidli - didldidli - BrhumBrhumBrhum.
cientist: A man who knows nothing until there is nothing left to understand.

www.cyborganics.org

Offline gost

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Podcast #53
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2006, 11:49:43 PM »
didldidli - didldidli - didldidli - BrhumBrhumBrhum.

Is it Tuesday already?

Monkeys on the run
Or sittin' in the sun
Doin' somethin' fun
Ain't that cute?

Give 'em a cigar
Let 'em drive yer car
While playin' a guitar
What a hoot!

Sorry. Songwriter syndrome.

personate-rain
personate-rain