Author Topic: Toadzilla!  (Read 3569 times)

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
Toadzilla!
« on: March 27, 2007, 05:30:38 AM »
Dog-sized toad found in Australia (BBC News)

You'd probably end up rolling your car if you tried to run the thing over. And you'd need a BIG golf club to take it out. It is a popular hobby among Australians of all ages to find inventive ways of killing cane toads--we have an all-too-plentiful supply--though if they continue to increase in size, it may turn into a battle for survival. :)
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
"Scientific skepticism: the buck stops at reality."

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
Toadzilla!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 05:47:04 AM »
I´m skeptical, this photo just looks like a close up of a toad´s face.  :wink:

Offline stickman

• Stopped Going Outside
Toadzilla!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 06:00:26 AM »
Cane toads... they're the ones you can lick to get high, right?  Toadzilla sounds like a party waiting to happen!
The best debates are the ones in which I'm proven wrong.  Then I've learned something.

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
Toadzilla!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 04:08:54 PM »
Quote from: "stickman"
Cane toads... they're the ones you can lick to get high, right?  Toadzilla sounds like a party waiting to happen!

I've never tried it myself (and suspect I never will!).

You could easily go overboard, as their poison is pretty nasty. I know my Jack Russell has found himself a cane toad to play with when he comes in foaming at the mouth. At least he's smart enough not to actually try and eat one (which would be fatal), and I find that at least marginally less disturbing than his habit of attacking (and successfully killing) the occasional snake that turns up in my yard.

Life is dangerous for domesticated animals in Australia.
quot;Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
Toadzilla!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:50:03 PM »

I'd like to see these two duke it out.

Offline Chris Lamb

• Seasoned Contributor
Toadzilla!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 05:09:25 PM »
Not another post about Sylvia Browne give it a rest guys!

Edit: Oh I see it's just a large toad. My appologies.
img]http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4591/darwinsig2pl8.jpg[/img]

Offline SkepThickHeaded

• Stopped Going Outside
Toadzilla!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »
I lived on Oahu a few years back and these damn things are everywhere, although the variety there are only about the size of a hubcap.  Frequently you'd open your front door and hit something that felt like a brick and have to shove this 10lb toad out of the damn way who would look at you like you were bothering some important business of his.

And yes, they secrete bufotoxin, but it tastes so unbelievably bad that not even bored teenagers bother with trying to get high off them.  Seriously, it's THAT bad (which I uh...heard from some...uh guys).
"When push comes to shove, you've got to do what you love...even if it's not a good idea"  Hermes Conrad

Offline gweathers

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • http://lifeburns.com
Toadzilla!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 06:42:26 PM »
Trying to find  a picture i can link of the 38lb house cat ... well its kind of cheating since its a hybrid cat.

http://www.savannahcatbreed.com/index.shtml

the picture is on that site but I cant link to it.
quot;To be rational is to look the universe in the face and not flinch." - Anon~
"We apologise for the inconvenience" - God

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Well Established
Toadzilla!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 07:43:33 PM »

That is not what I generaly think of as "dog sized", maybe a really small breed but my dog could eat that thing.
'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

"People in bamboo houses should not throw pandas" -Jesus

Offline moneyman1490

• Seasoned Contributor
Toadzilla!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 12:20:06 AM »
Toadzilla was caught during a community hunt in Darwin. Residents have been urged to help stop the spread of this most unwelcome of pests.

Ha, talk about irony.  Survival of the fittest. :lol:
kidoo, in response to CapeRoadie's threat of Libel
Quote from: "skidoo"
Your documented evasiveness and dishonesty leads me to no other conclusion: You're a dangerous quack. How's that for a retraction?

Put up or shut up!!!

Offline jason

• Frequent Poster
Toadzilla!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 02:50:51 AM »
Quote from: "moneyman1490"
Toadzilla was caught during a community hunt in Darwin. Residents have been urged to help stop the spread of this most unwelcome of pests.

Ha, talk about irony.  Survival of the fittest. :lol:

Weirdly, it takes a mental gear-shift to make the association between Charles Darwin and the capital of our Northern Territory. I guess I knew our capitals before I was aware of the theory of evolution. :)

And yes, the capital Darwin is indeed named for him (from Wikipedia):
The first British person to sight Darwin's harbour appears to have been Lieutenant John Lort Stokes of HMS Beagle in 1839. The ship's captain, Commander John Clements Wickham, named the port after Charles Darwin, the British naturalist who had sailed with them both on the earlier second expedition of the Beagle.

personate-rain
personate-rain