Author Topic: Episode # 198  (Read 10106 times)

Offline Bastard Soap

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode # 198
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2009, 12:41:46 PM »
Light has been observed gravitationally lensing around dark matter.

w.r.t. the child who died after homeopathic remedies, every single homeopath who consulted on the child's treatment should be in jail.

Let's just use the seven degrees of separation, assume that within seven degrees you can reach any homeopath in the world, and jail them all!

I say we give them ebola or aids and then cure them with homeopathy!

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2009, 03:36:13 PM »
They were trumpeting about it like it's the bane of our existence.  My critical thinking leads me to think that of all the other things you could preach against that actually are significantly harmful, why bother with that?
Seriously guys, come on!

If you're not speaking out against the number one absolute worst thing that is happening anywhere in the world, you're just wasting your time!

(Which is why "seriously" is currently working to stop genocide, instead of wasting time and commenting to complain online about a podcast, right?)
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline geekoid

• Off to a Start
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2009, 02:13:27 PM »
"In Search of..." was a monumental part of me becoming a Skeptic.
They never had good evidence, and it was never conclusive. I don't remember then saying what the were 'investigating' was real in spite of evidence.

I found MASH to be far worse in spreading quackery and supporting misconceptions.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2009, 03:47:38 AM »
MOND relies on a fudge factor, "a0", the level of acceleration below which Newtonian mechanics fails to operate. As far as I can see, the value of a0 is chosen simply so that it agrees with the observed rotations of galaxies etc. There is no independent evidence that I know of for a0 to take this value.

Lee Smolin (in The Trouble with Physics) has some other lines of evidence, among them fluctuations in the Background Microwave Radiation that takes place at the a0 scale. He admits that it may be statistical fluke, and I don't know what other physicists think.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Phil Clemence

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2009, 06:26:41 AM »
This is not a direct response to this episode, although i am sure there is a formula which would demostrate that it is :D
It is a response to the Holly quote in Anders' sig
The first minute of this:

Offline remzi

• Off to a Start
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »
Who's that noisy?

I think that MagnusM is correct. It does sound like Dean Radin. I'm certain that it is not Ted Haggard.

Edit: Doh! Wrong episode...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:34:20 PM by remzi »

Offline remzi

• Off to a Start
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2009, 03:29:04 PM »
I found MASH to be far worse in spreading quackery and supporting misconceptions.

Remember that this series first aired in 1972.

I think that it is worth noting that M*A*S*H, and in particular, the character Dr Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, has inspired a great many healthcare professionals, too.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:35:03 PM by remzi »

personate-rain
personate-rain