Author Topic: A search engine for tunes?  (Read 3584 times)

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: A search engine for tunes?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 07:34:36 AM »
(This is all frivolous regarding music, but I am always amazed at how many text editors don't think to provide a way to search for a string at the start of a line, the end of a line, or the complete line, preferring only to provide a general "search everywhere" function.)

Is there any text editor that provides that function?
I haven't tried lots of PC editors, but I don't know of one yet. In the old days, working on slow mainframe computers, search at beginning of line was often the default, with search anywhere as a much slower alternative. When every second of CPU time cost more than a pound/dollar (in today's money), keeping processing to a minimum was critical (that was in the old days when people wrote programs to be small and efficient).

Searching from the beginning of each line sounds like something that could easily be done in Python. Not sure about the best way to search from the end.

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 07:51:20 AM »
Searching from the beginning of each line sounds like something that could easily be done in Python. Not sure about the best way to search from the end.

I can easily write a bit of code to do this -- I have a library routine written in assembler that does searches within a string very quickly -- but unless I plan to write a complete editor or add my own code to an existing open source editor this is not a lot of help.

Searching from the end simply involves knowing the length of both strings and offsetting the start of the string to be searched.
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline JediKangaroo

• Off to a Start
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 10:31:44 AM »
The only piece I know of which has no notes is 4'33".

Marcel Marceau's Greatest Hits. 20 minutes of silence, followed by brief applause.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 12:53:50 PM »
Searching from the end simply involves knowing the length of both strings and offsetting the start of the string to be searched.

Of course.  8) I knew that.

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »

Of course.  8) I knew that.

I thought you must ... I was wondering whether I had missed some complication that you knew about. :)

Offline AxeGrrl

• in my cell, making a shiv out of a toothbrush and saran wrap
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 02:24:27 AM »
What I wanted was something where you could hum the approximate tune

I've been dying to find such an app for years!

i'm amazed that it hasn't been developed yet......but hell, i couldn't believe it took so long to come up with that iPhone app where you hold the phone up to a speaker and it automatically 'recognizes' the song

and when is that app going to be available as a program independent of the iPhone??  it's just cruel to tease us like that :(
"Wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 06:30:20 AM »
What I wanted was something where you could hum the approximate tune

I've been dying to find such an app for years!

i'm amazed that it hasn't been developed yet......but hell, i couldn't believe it took so long to come up with that iPhone app where you hold the phone up to a speaker and it automatically 'recognizes' the song

and when is that app going to be available as a program independent of the iPhone??  it's just cruel to tease us like that :(
What I meant was hum the tune and write the up/down/same sequence on a piece of paper to type in. That's good enough for me, and a lot less hassle than setting up a microphone and then getting odd looks from anyone in the vicinity. I expect there are web sites where you can do that, though.

The problem is probably similar to speech and handwriting recognition ... working out the fundamental note from someone's humming is not easy. In some cases such as a doorbell tone, the fundamental isn't even present.

personate-rain
personate-rain