Author Topic: Skeptics' Guide: IN DEPTH  (Read 1403 times)

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
Skeptics' Guide: IN DEPTH
« on: June 02, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
I've noticed in a few episodes, that sometimes discussion of a topic kind of wanders, and we almost get into a sort of casual chit-chat or even friendly debate territory. It's an exciting glimpse, for me anyway, into a side of SGU that we rarely see. It usually seems like Rebecca is the one initiating it, so thanks to Rebecca. ;)

Anyway, I know that the structure of the SGU is pretty rigid, and I like it the way it is. I sure don't want the crew to stop covering news, science and tech developments, mail, interviews, and the fun segments like Science or Fiction and Name that Logical Fallacy, etc. That being said, when these rare moments of free-form discussion come up, I really enjoy them. So, what I wonder is if there is a way to have shows every once in a while that embrace this free discussion a bit more? Maybe every once in a while the show could be devoted to a particular skeptical topic, and allow just an open rambling discussion between the group. Kind of like 5x5, but instead of 5 minutes, and rehearsed tidbits, it would be a full show and be a loose discussion? Something like:

"Hello everyone and welcome to the Skeptics' Guide to the Universe: IN DEPTH. In this special episode, we're going to be discussing Scientology, it's history, our experiences with it, and our thoughts about it. With me, this week are Bob Jay Rebecca Evan. So, Jay, have you ever taken Scientology's personality test on the street?"

Naturally, you wouldn't do this every episode, since you would need topics that everyone is interested enough to discuss openly for the full length of the show. But I just think that once in a while, it would be great to hear everyone really going off on a topic, and not having time constraints...just chatting together, and letting us listen. Plus it would be nice, when you reference something in future episodes, you can always say "we talk about X in depth in episode 152" or whatever.

Anyhoo, I'm rambling, and I don't want to re-write the show. I just found this side of discussions to be intriguing, and thought it might be cool if you explored it.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Re: Skeptics' Guide: IN DEPTH
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:41:06 AM »
Anyhoo, I'm rambling, and I don't want to re-write the show. I just found this side of discussions to be intriguing, and thought it might be cool if you explored it.

Are you rambling or having an in depth discussion?

There are many topics here on the board and previously covered on the show that could be fleshed out.

It might also be good for each of the rogues to "go nuts" with their favorit thing. A nano show, a bird show etc etc.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline IrishJazz

• serpent in a fool's paradise
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Possibly Possibilian
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:49:22 AM »
Interesting idea MisterMarc... but I think that rather than a rambling discussion a show like that might have to be even more organized- i.e. "The Skeptics Guide to [Scientology, Ghost, Oprah, whatever.]"  It could bring in or re-use parts of past shows, but the idea would be to thoroughly cover one subject.  Sort of the way "AstronomyCast" does.  These could be sort of "shows of record" - a good place to turn for info on a skeptical subject.  But this puts more weight on them to be coherent and well-argued as well.

The segmented structure of the current show is a lot more friendly to improvisation- it allows more cut and balance to shape the final product.
"When a dirty fighter realizes he has no legs left, he aims low." - Jennifer McDonald, NYTimes book review

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 12:25:59 PM »
Interesting idea MisterMarc... but I think that rather than a rambling discussion a show like that might have to be even more organized- i.e. "The Skeptics Guide to [Scientology, Ghost, Oprah, whatever.]"  It could bring in or re-use parts of past shows, but the idea would be to thoroughly cover one subject.  Sort of the way "AstronomyCast" does.  These could be sort of "shows of record" - a good place to turn for info on a skeptical subject.  But this puts more weight on them to be coherent and well-argued as well.

The segmented structure of the current show is a lot more friendly to improvisation- it allows more cut and balance to shape the final product.

Oh, I agree, it can't be totally unstructured. They'd have to have, as I said, some history, some investigative stuff, a breakdown of the topic. But I also think that devoting an entire show would allow more time for free-form discussion and anecdotes and the like. I feel like the current show often says "well, let's move on" before any more relaxed, conversational discussion can take place.

I do agree about the usefulness in creating "benchmark" shows. So that, as I mentioned above, they can refer listeners to those episodes when topics come up. Something like, "homeopathy news...blah blah blah discuss discuiss...we go into homeopathy in depth in episode 234, check it out for more info.

personate-rain
personate-rain