Author Topic: Forum (sguforums.com) Change suggestions  (Read 40027 times)

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
Re: Forum (sguforums.com) Change suggestions
« Reply #330 on: March 15, 2016, 07:39:29 AM »
Has anyone considered adding a Cara Santa Maria emoji ?

:bob: :evan: :jay: :rebecca: :steve: :perry: :cara:
Good point. We'll have to commission Henning for the project.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #331 on: March 30, 2016, 07:07:43 PM »
When viewing my posts liked by others, I'd like to be able to list them by number of likes.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #332 on: April 10, 2016, 02:39:50 PM »
Has anyone considered adding a Cara Santa Maria emoji ?

:bob: :evan: :jay: :rebecca: :steve: :perry:
Good point. We'll have to commission Henning for the project.

I think Im getting better at these.
Welcome to the Forums, Cara!
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #333 on: February 04, 2017, 07:54:27 PM »
Is there an add on or plug in for the forums that can handle tabular data better.  Normally I wouldn't be assed, but this is a board to promote sciency stuff.  We need our tables maaaaaan.

I like how ISF does it (not sure if you can see this post)

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11702650&postcount=938

Here are three Mods from the SM site.  I have no idea how they look tho.  I can't see any of the screenshots.   >:(

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3642
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=204
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=40   -THIS ONE IS SORTABLE, AND ACCEPTS CSV DATA!

This one looks very promising:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=298647.0

This looks powerful, but clunky, like your mom   >:D :

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=379283.0

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:32:55 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #334 on: February 04, 2017, 10:37:48 PM »
Do any of them appear to be maintained?  Meaning, they've been updated sometime within the last 6 months?
#notarealskeptic

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #335 on: February 05, 2017, 12:27:07 AM »
OH GWAD I DOEN KAER! Bettter tables!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #336 on: February 05, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »
The only one that seems maintained is the last, which adds CSS-style style tags to some BBC code elements.  I'm not sure how many people are going to be able to use it.  Also, it doesn't seem to be compatible with the latest point release.

PANTS!: What are you trying to accomplish? If you could offer a couple of examples it might help us evaluate the issue.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #337 on: February 05, 2017, 10:39:44 AM »
The only one that seems maintained is the last, which adds CSS-style style tags to some BBC code elements.  I'm not sure how many people are going to be able to use it.  Also, it doesn't seem to be compatible with the latest point release.

PANTS!: What are you trying to accomplish? If you could offer a couple of examples it might help us evaluate the issue.

CAVEAT: Sp far, this is just me talking here - but I think HighPockets has similar frustrations.  I can not say how he, or anyone else, would detail the exact issue however.  So y'all speak up!   :laugh:

There are two main problems I have with presenting tabular data right now.

• It has limited formatting options (no borders, no formatting at the table level, Spacing issues, etc) which makes the data confusing
  • There are some hacks to work around, but they are very time intensive, error prone, confusing to implement, and still only marginally improve visual presentation of tabular data.
  • In general the edit options for tables is unworkable beyond 5 columns or 5 rows.  It gets way too cluttered and confusing and hard to track.

I really want a better way to visually present the data, a better way to post / edit the data, and maybe the ability to sort the data - if possible.  I mean, ideally, an excel (or similar spreadsheet) plug in would be the bee knees but I know that's a huge ask.  But if we could show graphs based off data.....  OK That's probably another topic.

I like the way ISF present their tables.  If you can, go to the link I supplied, as the data is sortable, but if you can't here are some images. Notice the second is sorted by player.

As far as the editor goes - on the IDF it is not the best option, but it is pipe delimited within the table tag, cutting down significantly on the tag clutter, and making editing the post at least possible, albeit still difficult.

That said, I am not wedded to the ISF solution - at all.  I am wide open on this, so long as the solution moves us towards meeting the two criteria laid out above. 

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:46:17 AM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #338 on: February 05, 2017, 02:06:38 PM »
That looks interesting. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a similar plugin for SMF.  To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of SMF; but it has the benefit of being free whereas a VBulletin license runs about $300.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #339 on: February 06, 2017, 02:18:13 AM »
And changing forum architecture is not at all a trivial process.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #340 on: February 06, 2017, 11:35:57 AM »
And changing forum architecture is not at all a trivial process.

Indeed.  This is why we all live in anticipation of SMF 2.1 (now in its second beta), which promises to deliver responsive design using CSS3, a much-improved WYSIWYG editor, search that works, PMs using AJAX, and much more.  Unfortunately, changes to the theming engine will break all of our themes and many add-ins.  It will not be a normal point upgrade.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #341 on: February 06, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
Yeah, everything Pants! said. Just a little more ability for formatting would go a long way. Now after doing the forumvision for a while now, I've managed to get the steps down to a reasonable number of cutting, pasting, converting, text editing, copying  and pasting again.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #342 on: February 06, 2017, 02:09:52 PM »
I like the looks of Table from CSV; unfortunately, it has not been updated in 10 years and is not compatible with SMF 2.x.  The only one there that seems to be regularly maintained is BBCode with Style, which will not make tables simpler to construct but would give more flexibility in formatting them.

personate-rain