Author Topic: Podcast Change suggestions  (Read 56865 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Podcast Change suggestions
« Reply #465 on: December 19, 2016, 10:51:13 AM »
These are all very good ideas. But I think the rogues might not feel they have enough connection to or knowledge of Asia to feel comfortable in taking on that.

Interviews with activists? 

Hell, I'd love an interview with a North Korea expert about state-mandated credulity. 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #466 on: December 19, 2016, 10:10:54 PM »
Hey, rogues:  :bob: :evan: :jay: :steve: :cara:.  I think we should stop referring to each podcast as an "episode" and instead refer to, for example, "Thank you for joining us for 597  S.R.E. (septimana rerum evadere, or in the week of our Escape to Reality)". . . . Pretty please, with a quantum nano fluxuator on top?...

Not with that pig Latin, they don't.  You've written, roughly (because I can't convey all the nuances of how bad this is), "a week of things (is) to escape."
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #467 on: December 19, 2016, 10:17:16 PM »
Fiat voluntas tua, Lat
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline Cigar_Jerk

• Off to a Start
« Reply #468 on: December 20, 2016, 05:07:01 PM »
Hey, rogues:  :bob: :evan: :jay: :steve: :cara:.  I think we should stop referring to each podcast as an "episode" and instead refer to, for example, "Thank you for joining us for 597  S.R.E. (septimana rerum evadere, or in the week of our Escape to Reality)". . . . Pretty please, with a quantum nano fluxuator on top?...

Not with that pig Latin, they don't.  You've written, roughly (because I can't convey all the nuances of how bad this is), "a week of things (is) to escape."

Indeed.  And, sadly, that was as close as I could get.  Given your forum name, I'd imagine you could suggest a proper alternative.  Ank-thay ou-yay in-ay vance-ad-ay, oo-yay ompous-pay atin-lay ool-fay.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:25:51 PM by Cigar_Jerk »

Offline Cigar_Jerk

• Off to a Start
« Reply #469 on: December 21, 2016, 01:33:37 PM »

Is this any better, Latinist: Effugimus in ebdomada ad veritatem?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #470 on: December 21, 2016, 02:32:28 PM »
"We are escaping inside a week toward truth."

If you're really that concerned about it, I suppose something like hebdomadā (or septimanā) in rēs effugiendī.

I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #471 on: December 24, 2016, 03:50:16 PM »
Science or Fiction. Maybe this point has been made before and apologies if so, but does the fact that the last rogue to make a choice have an unfair advantage in that they will have heard the reasoning/choices of the rogues before them? Does the order make any difference at all (I'm sure someone will have done the stats on this).

A couple of suggestions.

1) Guests who take part in Science or Fiction should go last, as it would be unfair to ask them to go first if going first is a disadvantage.

2) Organise the Science or Fiction segment so that the rogues all hear the initial descriptions and choices, and then everyone is faded out. The first rogue enters, makes a choice, then the second and so on, and once the rogue has made their choice they can stay 'in'.

If they did this for, say, a year, this second way of playing Science or Fiction might be an interesting comparison to previous years - how much 'groupthink' is involved in the rogues choices? If each rogue doesn't know what choice the previous rogue has made, is there likely to be less 'clumping' in their choices (i.e. less occasions when all the rogues agree)?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #472 on: December 24, 2016, 11:42:00 PM »
I don't know, the banter and debate of the answers is the most interesting part of SoF, for me.  I would find it very dull if they each went without separately.

Offline Collingwood

• Brand New
« Reply #473 on: February 13, 2017, 05:48:32 AM »
Let me preface my criticism with the comment that I love the SGU so much that, if I detect that Steve sounds a little testy, I worry that he will can the whole thing and stop producing one of the highlights of my week, the SGU podcast.
Let me also say that the add that the addition of Cara has produced a panelist who can match wits with Steve and added a bit more scientific rigour to the general discussion, as well as adding another  likeable personality to what is already a great mix of characters.

My chief beef is this. Speaking for myself, I listen to this podcast for the banter; the interactions between a bunch of smart, thoughtful people as they chew the fat on the latest events in the sceptical world.
I do not listen to learn the meaning and derivations of a word like impedance. If I'm at all interested, I'll look up Wikipedia. Nor to I really want to know  the specific name for a type of fallacy, another  topic which occupied some time in this week's podcast.  It is important to recognise fallacious arguments. Not so important to be able to specifically name it. If people are really interested, again, Wikipedia is your friend there.

I would end the 'whats the word' segment ('jackass of the week'  was more interesting and topical). I would ask the panelists to remember that it's the dynamic between them that makes the podcast interesting, funny and worth coming back to. Long discussions by one panelist about the meaning of words and what particular name should be given to a  poor argument are not those things.

I hope I haven't trodden on anyone's toes here. The SGU changes lives. Keep up the good work.

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #474 on: February 17, 2017, 01:31:46 AM »
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread, please delete.

Offline LostInWoods

• Brand New
« Reply #475 on: June 21, 2017, 01:11:25 PM »
I think that the podcast should immediately ditch Blue Apron as a sponsor.  As much as I liked Blue Apron when we tried it (it was delicious!), I don't see how the SGU can endorse a product that explicitly buys into the non-GMO nonsense that the SGU rebuffs.  In my view, continuing to take their advertising money is equivalent to shilling for homeopathic remedies, chiropractics quacks, or psychics.

For details, see http://blog.blueapron.com/our-non-gmo-commitment/
"It’s complicated. Research suggests that GMOs aren’t harmful to eat, but there are more factors to consider—like whether they may be harmful to produce, economically and environmentally speaking."

and https://support.blueapron.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001345068-Is-Blue-Apron-non-GMO-
"While removing GMOs from all of our ingredients is a big step, we’d like to go even further into our supply chain to find sources for non-GMO animal feed (raising an animal on GMO feed does not make it, or products derived from it, a GMO)."

So they claim that it's complicated but they have made a business decision to support fear-mongering.  The SGU should make a business decision to stop endorsing this.

Online estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #476 on: June 21, 2017, 06:32:47 PM »
They are in a tight spot. They're doing this to get sales and keep their market advantage. If they didn't do this one of their competitors will.

And it's very likely that their market research shows them that it's important to a good number of their customers and potential customers.

What's the downside? Maybe you and a handful will silently boycott.

Your mileage may vary.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #477 on: June 24, 2017, 11:44:21 AM »
I agree the SGU should ditch the sponsor. They shouldn't go along with something because it makes sense for the market or whatever. Giving in to the lawsuit would've made sense, if the point of the SGU and Steve's other work wasn't to challenge the status quo and to bring about more critical thinking and skepticism, and not leave pseudoscience and fraud to run society.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:50:04 AM by 2397 »

Offline talespin

• Brand New
« Reply #478 on: June 28, 2017, 02:49:22 AM »
I realize it may be more difficult to do with the spoken word than with the written word, but the podcast really needs an editor to sharpen it up. Some of the segments ("What's the Word," pretty much every topic Bob covers) are overly long and rambling, IMHO. I often get the impression that the goal is not to cover a particular topic, but to fill up a certain amount of time.

Other than those relatively minor quibbles, I enjoy the podcast immensely. I didn't start listening until 2008, but I subsequently went back to the beginning and listened to every episode. Thanks, everyone, and keep up the great work.

personate-rain
personate-rain