Author Topic: Podcast Topic suggestions  (Read 86939 times)

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
Suggestions for Topics to cover on the Podcast
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »

This might be more appropriate for the Suggestions section, but I would like to see them broaden their topics a bit.  Jenny Mccarthy's an idiot, we get it!  But, how about an entire episode on global warming?  Or, some of the less-obvious skeptic topics?  I love the show, but I would like to see them expand their topic range, a bit.

i think they are; the last ep i listened to had a guest that wasn't exclusively talking about skepticism, which was refreshing. there have been a couple in recent memory that have included working scientists talking about their fields, which i think is great. i don't necessarily think that the SGU should move over to this kind of interview, but i would encourage the rogues to keep this kind of mixing-it-up going.

Well, I'm fine w/ them sticking with 'skeptic' topics.  (I mean, it is a skeptic podcast.)  I just want to see them go into topics that (a) aren't 100% clearly 'woo'; and (b) haven't been discussed over, and over, and over again.

For instance, chiropractics are quacks.  End of story.  I think every SGU listener understands that.  We're all pretty confident that the UFO-story of the week is b.s.  We all understand that the research shows no link between vaccines and autism.  And, it's ok for them to mention these issues from time to time, but I don't think they've gone two episodes without going into at least 1 of these topics.

I'd like to see them expand their reach into issues where the conclusion may not be so clear cut.  I read an article a few months back questioning the validity of shaken-baby syndrome.  There's lots of talk out there about whether the New Deal worked.  And, there are even some posters in the SGU forum who believe that ESP research has some validity.  I'd love to see them go into these issues.  And, heck, how about a 9/11 episode?  That should get us a steady stream of forum trolls:)
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »
And they don't have to become experts to do that.  Hopefully they're big enough names and/or their audience is large enough that they can get real experts to join them for interviews. 
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 08:13:23 PM »

This might be more appropriate for the Suggestions section, but I would like to see them broaden their topics a bit.  Jenny Mccarthy's an idiot, we get it!  But, how about an entire episode on global warming?  Or, some of the less-obvious skeptic topics?  I love the show, but I would like to see them expand their topic range, a bit.

i think they are; the last ep i listened to had a guest that wasn't exclusively talking about skepticism, which was refreshing. there have been a couple in recent memory that have included working scientists talking about their fields, which i think is great. i don't necessarily think that the SGU should move over to this kind of interview, but i would encourage the rogues to keep this kind of mixing-it-up going.

Well, I'm fine w/ them sticking with 'skeptic' topics.  (I mean, it is a skeptic podcast.)  I just want to see them go into topics that (a) aren't 100% clearly 'woo'; and (b) haven't been discussed over, and over, and over again.

sorry, i didn't read past this. :P but i agree that it would be interesting for them to branch into less clearly cut woo. except, of course, degrees of clear cut depend on your sophistication as a skeptic. you and i aren't newbs, and can definitely say that mercury in vaccines, homeopathy, and chiropractic are all crap. newbs to crit think will need the reminders of why this sort of thing is crap. but, yeah, again, i would love to see an ep on something that isn't so clear cut.

eta for quote retardedness.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:17:44 PM by pandamonium »
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Iconoclast

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 08:32:57 PM »
For instance, chiropractics are quacks.  End of story.  I think every SGU listener understands that.  We're all pretty confident that the UFO-story of the week is b.s.  We all understand that the research shows no link between vaccines and autism.  And, it's ok for them to mention these issues from time to time, but I don't think they've gone two episodes without going into at least 1 of these topics.
You know, people may stumble upon this forum and NOT be SGU listeners. They might be people interested in learning more about chiropractors, UFOs, skepticism, whatever. Just because they come here, doesn't mean it is because of the podcast. Google can do that when searching for things, you know. If they aren't clearly a troll, I think we should be encouraging them. Hold the criticism until they are either trolls or clearly not getting it.
"Everyone should try to end the day a little smarter than they began it" - Warren Buffet
www.thelongrunblog.com - Critical Thinking on Money, Finance and Economics
"it is a mind over bladder thing" - Stonequarry

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »
You know, people may stumble upon this forum and NOT be SGU listeners. They might be people interested in learning more about chiropractors, UFOs, skepticism, whatever. Just because they come here, doesn't mean it is because of the podcast. Google can do that when searching for things, you know. If they aren't clearly a troll, I think we should be encouraging them. Hold the criticism until they are either trolls or clearly not getting it.

I think you misunderstood.  My point is that I would like to see the podcast branch out into other areas, and stop repeatedly going over the same issues.  The forums are another matter entirely.  I'm all for discussing anything/everything here.
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Iconoclast

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 09:00:48 PM »

I think you misunderstood.  My point is that I would like to see the podcast branch out into other areas, and stop repeatedly going over the same issues.  The forums are another matter entirely.  I'm all for discussing anything/everything here.
Gotcha
"Everyone should try to end the day a little smarter than they began it" - Warren Buffet
www.thelongrunblog.com - Critical Thinking on Money, Finance and Economics
"it is a mind over bladder thing" - Stonequarry

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 09:06:37 PM »

Yeah it has been getting to the point where the news segment should just be called "What did Jenny do this week."  I get that it's a very important current topic but overcoverage will just make people mute it out.

I've noticed that this has not been an issue since they did the prerecorded shows getting ready for TAM. 
"The biofield is the master energy field that regulates the body’s functions and informs the body to relax."

Offline wannabeplato

• Well Established
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 09:11:17 PM »
Also in agreement..  I understand they have to keep things at a certain level since one of the main goals is to reach out to new skeptics, but certain things get a bit old when you have been listening since day 1.

But I expect its like so many programs, people will drift off, then rediscover it months later and be into it..

But they should mention the Forum more..
"Well, once again, my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences... But the other head of science is bad. Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur. It bites." - The Tick

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 09:12:34 PM »
Also in agreement..  I understand they have to keep things at a certain level since one of the main goals is to reach out to new skeptics, but certain things get a bit old when you have been listening since day 1.

But I expect its like so many programs, people will drift off, then rediscover it months later and be into it..

Like have a poll for each episode?
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 09:13:14 PM »
It's wastrels avatars. Lord only knows how many noobs are twitching in epileptic fits as we speak.

do you think we could find enough evidence to support this claim?
caaannnttt ttyyyppeee-- avvvaattaarr ccaaauusssinnng sssshhaakkees

Wait? I think epilepsy was actually caused by demons?

The power of Christ compels you! The power ... of Christ ... compels you!

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 09:14:03 PM »

Oh Jesus.  Seaotter is going to need a tissue.
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »

Ooh, good idea! Or, perhaps a specific topic to be discussed?  By doing a 'topic of the week', perhaps more listeners would want to jump in and giver their opinion.  And, they could have a brief segment on the show (like they do w/ "Who's that noisy") talking about the comments and mentioning the new 'topic of the week'.

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
    • http://www.evileyemonster.com
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 09:36:27 PM »

Ooh, good idea! Or, perhaps a specific topic to be discussed?  By doing a 'topic of the week', perhaps more listeners would want to jump in and giver their opinion.  And, they could have a brief segment on the show (like they do w/ "Who's that noisy") talking about the comments and mentioning the new 'topic of the week'.

I gave a new topic... except I put it in the religious section because it was about a new book claiming DNA proves Intelligent Design.
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 09:16:37 AM »

Wouldn't be fun if they had a call in segment ? I'm thinking that's beyond their production capabilities but so many times I find myself wishing I could add things to their discussions.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline DoctorOHM

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Would you?
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 09:39:20 AM »
Don't blame me, i've been doing my best to keep the numbers up! I've been more active for the last months than the rest of the year i've been a member.

DoctorOHM was actually the person I was going to blame all of this on. Hmmm.. now I'll have to find a new culprit.  :P

Wait, it isn't the "form destroying proceess of entropy" is it? You know it doesn't say "forum destroying", right!
"I'm part of the form-destroying process of entropy"
"To err is human. To arr is pirate"

personate-rain
personate-rain