Author Topic: Podcast Topic suggestions  (Read 86883 times)

Offline zoomHYPERIONzoom

• Brand New
Re: Podcast Topic suggestions
« Reply #570 on: April 15, 2017, 02:48:35 AM »
Hi first time poster. I'm still working my way through the podcast archive. Really enjoying the podcast.

I have an associate that is unfortunately extremely susceptible to woo and has recently fallen hard for this new thing called Functional Patterns http://www.functionalpatterns.com/. It's an exercise method which is aggressive towards science and spends an unusual amount of energy attacking science and the scientific community. It seems to me that it is preemptively attacking science before it can be debunked. That way if it turns out to be hocus pocus then it could claim that "science" is just being spiteful and/or corrupt.

I'm not saying that Functional Patterns (FP) is not an effective exercise methodology but while talking to my friend I noticed a few red flags. I don't know if it was just my friend's warped interpretation of FP but he definitely associates it with:
1. curing chronic pain (this one is a common boast in the fitness industry so nothing new there)
2. preventing disease in a more significant way than just being more physically active would normally do so,
3. and creating a spiritual mindset that is in my opinion both anti-scientific and new-age in nature. Alters behavior that could change the world! (This isn't that new either)

I haven't yet found much that supports that third one online so take that one with a grain of salt. It could just be my friend's misrepresenting FP or it could be my own fallible interpretation of it. I have read hints of this in this "Letter To The Fitness Industry" http://www.functionalpatterns.com/a-letter-to-the-fitness-industry/ on the FP website as well as from this obvious antagonist to FP here: https://bretcontreras.com/challenging-naudi-aguilar-of-functional-patterns-to-a-debate/ It could be that FP is keeping the more radical views out of the general view a la Scientology and Mormonism or I could be way off the scent.

My main interest is Functional Patterns' apparent animosity towards science. My friend has just returned from a training course in America so he can be a local redistributor of the brand AKA an official FP trainer and it could just be his nature but the intensity of his loyalty and defense of FP borders on cult-like fervor. Has he been suckered by a guru? If it's the real deal why is it so adamant that it doesn't need scientific testing?

With only a little bit of research I've found enough to be sceptical of Functional Patterns but I've by no means performed a deep dive. Don't get me wrong, if it works I'll be the first to get on board but what's up with the guru/anti-science angle?

Has anyone else already researched FP? What have you found?

Thanks,

Hyperion

P.S. TNG is the best Star Trek series.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 05:54:44 AM by zoomHYPERIONzoom »

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #571 on: April 15, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »
Another thread is discussing self-aware AI.

I think it would be an interesting topic to discuss what sort of test could be devised to determine if an AI was actually self-aware. Since programming could achieve the illusion of self-awareness, I fail to see how one could discern true self-awareness - even in principle.
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline NorwegianHobbit

• Brand New
« Reply #572 on: April 23, 2017, 06:28:00 AM »
Would love the panel to discuss this: "The Scary New Evidence on BPA-Free Plastics"
http://m.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/tritan-certichem-eastman-bpa-free-plastic-safe

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #573 on: April 23, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
The degeneration of cable news.

Jeff Zucker's been president of CNN since 2013. 

Zucker is a big sports fan, and from the early days of the campaign had spoken at editorial meetings about wanting to incorporate elements of ESPN’s programming into CNN’s election coverage. “The idea that politics is sport is undeniable, and we understood that and approached it that way,” he told me.

As Zucker sees it, his pro-Trump panelists are not just spokespeople for a worldview; they are “characters in a drama,” members of CNN’s extended ensemble cast. “Everybody says, ‘Oh, I can’t believe you have Jeffrey Lord or Kayleigh McEnany,’ but you know what?” Zucker told me with some satisfaction. “They know who Jeffrey Lord and Kayleigh McEnany are.”

http://www.gq.com/story/cnn-jeff-zucker-thinks-this-is-a-game

I'm a millennial.  It's my understanding that the news wasn't this stupid in the days of yore.  Is that true?  Because cable news has been complete trash at least since I was a teenager.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline jeffgdotorg

• Brand New
  • Brainwashed by the Establishment
« Reply #574 on: April 25, 2017, 10:53:25 AM »
[This post is an expansion of my reply on an episode thread, apologies for the duplication]

Hi, I'm a new listener working backwards through the episode catalog. I've tried out several generalist skeptic podcasts, and yours is the first one that really suits me. I appreciate the relatively soft touch, the variety of backgrounds (if not surnames  ;)) among the presenters, the predictable publishing schedule, and the great production values. Especially with five presenters, I know that the last two are hard to achieve. Thank you all for pouring your time and energy into this important vehicle.

The discussion of dark anti-vax conspiracy theories in episode 310 (starting at 35m30s) really hit near home for me, as I have a family member who is way down the rabbit-hole. It started with an evidence-backed exercise therapy method that brings a strong anti-surgical slant, progressed to essential oils, and has spiraled into electromedicine (specifically Rife) with anti-vax being just one facet. I agree that a promising strategic approach is to target highly visible conspiracy promoters, limiting their ability to reach unwary marks. I'm doing just that via a professional board action against one promoter (an MD) whose influence was a big factor. Bringing the action feels good, and I know it's a public service that stands to make a real difference down the road, but what about the people already harmed? I'm wondering what the panel and community think are generally the best ways to help those already lost in Wonderland. As a corollary, how do we deal with the damage done to relationships when our loved ones decide that their skeptical family members are in on the conspiracy? Counseling surely plays a huge role in addressing both points, but it may be impossible to get the family member to consent to it.

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #575 on: April 27, 2017, 07:03:44 PM »
There's a number of computer science podcasts concerning AI, as in machine learning, deep learning, neural networks, etc.  AI's getting ever increasing amounts of attention with all kinds of claims circulating around it.  Could be nice to do a cross-podcast interview with an expert on where the field's at and where it isn't, where the field's going and where it isn't, what these tools are and can do and what they aren't and can't do.  Would be interesting!
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Ted Apelt

• Brand New
« Reply #576 on: May 03, 2017, 10:52:23 AM »
I would like the SGU to take up the conspiracy theory claims that the Syrian gas attack was a "false flag" created by the "White Helmets".  I know next to nothing about Syria, and get more and more confused the more I learn about it.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 10:54:35 AM by Ted Apelt »

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #577 on: May 03, 2017, 12:03:06 PM »
I would like the SGU to take up the conspiracy theory claims that the Syrian gas attack was a "false flag" created by the "White Helmets".  I know next to nothing about Syria, and get more and more confused the more I learn about it.

In case you're interested, there's a Syria discussion thread here with a summary of the main groups involved in the conflict.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:08:07 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Ted Apelt

• Brand New
« Reply #578 on: May 06, 2017, 05:48:55 PM »

In case you're interested, there's a Syria discussion thread here with a summary of the main groups involved in the conflict.

I read it.  That is one of the reasons why I am so confused.

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #579 on: May 07, 2017, 05:20:01 AM »
I think the SGU should review Bill Nye Saves the World.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #580 on: May 07, 2017, 06:40:58 AM »
I think the SGU should review Bill Nye Saves the World.

Good idea.
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline Darren Evans

• Off to a Start
  • "People of Earth, your attention please"
« Reply #581 on: May 10, 2017, 01:12:06 PM »
Hey Rogues. First, some obligatory gushing...

"Love the show and you're all above-adequate presenters etc."

I'm seeing a lot of knee-jerk revilement from many Facebook friends about new powers being given to security services such as the UK Police. One such story is here:

https://goo.gl/oAYsuY.

My view is that in order to keep pace with the sophisticated tools and methods used by organised crime and terrorists, powers such as phone disabling is valid. Yet the trend amongst my Facebook pals is to immediately start spurting slippery slope arguments about how powers like this will be abused and that they should not be allowed. There are many disheartening stories of Police corruption and brutality in the press and many of my friends speak in a language that suggests they believe the entire force cannot be trusted with powers like this. Similar stories of Police brutality in the US with fatal shootings seems to also undermine the role of Police. My view is that a Police force is largely honest on a national scale. How would the Rogues respond to friends who view the Police with such suspicion as to willingly to undermine the tools they need to effectively fight crime.
"Everyone's entitled to my opinion"

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #582 on: May 10, 2017, 03:17:59 PM »
I don't know.  I think that's subjectively political rather than a matter of (in)valid reasoning and information. 

Also, we don't have anyone in the politics forum pushing your perspective.  If you're interested in debate, you'd probably get a lot of responses if you posted a thread about it. 

You can probably gauge your interest in the audience from my attempt at a catchall police-in-the-news thread, keeping in mind it's from a US perspective.

Offline Ryan Martin

• Brand New
« Reply #583 on: June 03, 2017, 11:22:35 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I was just reading an article on Scientific American about Bioquark, a company that aims to do something pretty wonky. They're actually located in Philadelphia, only about a mile away from my house.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/resurrected-a-controversial-trial-to-bring-the-dead-back-to-life/

Anyway, they have a pretty controversial hypothesis on reversing brain-death. Another company aimed to do something similar in India a few years back, but were shut down because they didn't have permission from the proper regulatory agencies.
Now, Bioquark is aiming to start testing in humans somewhere in Latin America in the next few months, presumably, because they couldn't get approval in the United States.

I'm not a neuroscientist, but the basic idea is to inject a combination of stem cells, proteins/peptic acids, into the brain stem, and also a little bit of electric current to stimulate the brain regenerating its neurons to allow functionality once more. Pretty much everyone that was interviewed for the article (outside of the CEO of Bioquark) was highly skeptical and thought there was around a zero-percent chance of this working.
Again, I'm not a neuroscientist, so I'm in no way qualified to comment on whether or not this is possible, but it seems like BS.

Because Steve is a neurologist and it seems to have some fairly similar ties to some other BS claims that get floated around (like the whole "unlimited energy" power source thing that comes up every now and then, I figured it might be a good topic for discussion on the show. I appears that it's one of those lofty claims that companies make in order to get some big headlines.

Offline Gazeley

• Brand New
« Reply #584 on: June 23, 2017, 09:40:19 PM »
Would love to hear them discuss the current crypto-currency bubble.

Market cap has grown 100-billion dollars in the past few months. 90% of the crypto-currencies are either glorified pyramid-schemes or well-intentioned but doomed to fail projects. Tons of people are pumping money into this technology they don't understand because they think it's going to make them rich overnight.

Personally I find all of this especially fascinating because the blockchain technology behind these crypto-currencies is actually a legitimate, potentially world-changing, technology. It's very reminiscent of the dot-com bubble.

See: coinmarketcap.com

personate-rain
personate-rain