Author Topic: Podcast Topic suggestions  (Read 90442 times)

Offline curlew

• Brand New
Re: Podcast Topic suggestions
« Reply #585 on: August 05, 2017, 06:32:55 PM »
I agree that the invasion of quackery into academic medicine is a major problem. I have volunteered to serve on an Institutional Review Board (IRB) as a non-scientific community member, which has allowed me the opportunity to criticize some of the more biased studies of acupuncture and similar unscientific "treatments".

For those in the audience who are unaware of what an IRB is, it is the basic approver of all human subject research in any academic institution like a medical school or hospital. By law all human research must be approved by an IRB, which needs non scientific, unaffiliated community members to have a quorum. Since volunteers of this type are not that easy to find, most institutions are happy to get volunteers in this category.

My experience to date has been fascinating as a learning opportunity, but also as a chance to point out how badly flawed certain studies are. While I can't discuss specifics since the meetings are covered by non-disclosure, I think my participation has already prevented some badly flawed "alternative" studies from seeing the light of publication.

It might be useful to have a segment about IRBs on a future show and to encourage listeners, especially unaffiliated non-scientists to make the effort to find a local IRB and volunteer to become a board member. As a non scientific member your concerns will probably be carefully considered, especially since your attendance will be extra valuable in ensuring a quorum.

Offline Psax

• Brand New
Re: Podcast Topic suggestions
« Reply #586 on: October 22, 2017, 09:34:23 AM »
I agree that the invasion of quackery into academic medicine is a major problem.

Yes, everywhere.
Here is some links to short articles about establishing of Traditional Chinese medicine centre right at the Hradec Králové University Hospital! (Czech Republic).
This TCM center was inaugurated by the Chinese president Xi Jinping in 2016.
Let's give up on science, human rights, president Havel's legacy and let's make some business with China... OMG, bad politics and money seems to be superior to everything...

http://praguemonitor.com/2015/06/18/czech-chinese-traditional-medicine-centre-opens-hradec-kralove
http://www.radio.cz/en/section/news/centre-of-traditional-chinese-medicine-to-be-built-in-the-czech-republic

personate-rain
personate-rain