Author Topic: Podcast Topic suggestions  (Read 109549 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
Re: Podcast Topic suggestions
« Reply #600 on: January 30, 2018, 01:38:03 PM »
Well, since you're using skepdic as a source, here's what he says about CBT:

There are many types of psychotherapy. Some have been empirically tested and are known to be very effective, such as cognitive therapy.

I'm also fairly certain Steve Novella and the NESS are not anti CBT, but I guess I could be wrong. At any rate, here's what science based medicine has to say:

Only one of the many varieties of psychotherapy is supported by acceptable evidence: cognitive-behavioral therapy.

EMDR is summed up by skepdic as:

eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR): cognitive behavioral therapy used in conjunction with having the patient follow a moving wand with his eyes (or listening to certain sounds) while concentrating on "the problem"; works just as well without the eye movements or the finger-snapping, but the distraction is a good marketing tool.

Mooohn!

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #601 on: January 30, 2018, 01:48:46 PM »
Yeah, it was the TL;DR rant and the CBT that made me initially dismissive. I did click links, but I didn't think it supported calling out psychology as quackery. YMMV
Not interested in spending my day finding out why someone has an axe to grind on the internet.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #602 on: January 30, 2018, 01:53:37 PM »
My sister's had EMDR, and it did sound rather dodgy to me, but lumping CBT in with it as if it is unsupported by evidence seems like a stretch.
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #603 on: February 03, 2018, 05:25:57 AM »
Oh, and just to point this out, but
your 'Psych' chat on episode #654
[...]
Cara Santa Maria is doing a Phd? Will that allow her to describe herself as "Doctor" to any patients?
Here in the UK that would be criminal offences -
Medical Act 1983 -
Penalty for pretending to be registered -
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1983/54/section/49
Penalty for pretending to hold a licence to practise -
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1983/54/section/49A
Misconduct in Public Office -
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/misconduct_in_public_office/

But that doesn't stop Quackademics from swanning around the NHS calling themselves "Doctor".
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/people/search?collection=profiles&gscope1=1&form=search-en&query=psychology
psychiatrists actually do go to medical school, which is what Cara was explicitly referring to in that segment. Also EMDR was not mentioned in the episode as far as I could tell.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 05:46:12 AM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Online arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #604 on: February 04, 2018, 02:06:24 PM »
What a couple of vile lowlife hate trolls.
This is unnecessary, and if you would care to check your tone, I might be inclined to discuss the issue with you.
Self-described nerd

Offline boonhead

• Brand New
    • Big-Endian
« Reply #605 on: February 23, 2018, 08:12:25 AM »
Hey guys,

I know EMF is 'le bullcrap', but I've come across a new and upcoming movement that is organizing itself professionally against the new 5G telephone networks. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/stop5g/)
At first I thought, "Haven't we been here before? Like.. multiple times? Isn't 5G is just more of the same?"

But 5G seems to be a little more than just another iteration, mainly:
* The use of 28 to 60 GHz millimeter wave
* And instead of a cloud of radiowaves, it seems to be very directional and short distance (I'm even wondering if they are not just trying to reinvent the wheel.. because I already have device at home that does fast and short distance.. its called WiFi :P)

Of course EMF has been debunked before.. but there are some new claims made.. some claims specifically because 5G works differently from 4G..

I searched the NeuroLogica Blog on EMF information specifically related to 5G but could not find the information needed to educate myself (and possibly them).
The WHO classified 5G to be a group 2B health concern, which is not a strong classification.

Their facebook group has loads of pictures with slogans and claims that sound new to my ears. Also quite some anti-5G websites out there..

Cheers!

Offline mdidomenico225

• Brand New
« Reply #606 on: May 25, 2018, 11:57:41 AM »
Hello!

Has the SGU reviewed the findings of Dr. Kathryn Hall from Harvard about the placebo effect?  I heard her on the "Adam Ruins Everything" podcast.  Interesting discussion on the physiological effects of placebos.  She compares them to other similar effects, like how our mouths water we we see certain foods, or how our hearts start pumping faster when we hear someone scream nearby.  Just wondering if her work legitimizes things like acupuncture, which most surely relies on the placebo effect.  Thoughts?

Regards!

Online fred.slota

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #607 on: May 25, 2018, 12:13:14 PM »
Except that acupuncture typically claims effects much stronger than placebo, while double-blinded testing of acupuncture tends to show no difference with the control.  The control's effects are pure placebo, therefor the effects of the tested acupuncture is also pure placebo.

The placebo effect exists.  Nearly anything can produce a placebo effect.  When you encounter something that could or does have an effect, a basic question to ask is, is this effect testably distinct from a placebo?

Online arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #608 on: May 26, 2018, 12:22:28 AM »
Mike from Skeptics With A K has spent much of the last two years debunking the placebo effect, including discussing Dr Hall's work in detail. In short, the research in the field is done by people who are trying to support the conclusion that they've already come to, or the studies are poorly designed, or they're simply misreported to the extent that studies that are reported as supporting the placebo effect actually don't. Sometimes all three at once.

There is no "placebo effect". Apparent placebo effects always have other explanations.
Self-described nerd

Offline mdidomenico225

• Brand New
« Reply #609 on: May 29, 2018, 02:00:34 PM »
Thank you.  I guess I was taken in by the credentials (Harvard, etc.). 

Online arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #610 on: May 29, 2018, 10:04:19 PM »
I definitely recommend listening to Skeptics with a K. Not only is it a great podcast, but Mike has gone into an excruciating level of detail on this subject. Pick almost any episode from the last two years, and it will probably have something about placebo in it.
Self-described nerd

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #611 on: June 19, 2018, 04:06:55 PM »
Hi,

I'm wondering if the SGU has a take on this recent fad of meal replacement drinks.

WHAT IT IS:
Human Chow, basically.  The goal is for 2,000 calories of the drink to be:
  • Affordable
  • 'Nutritionally complete' (all RDAs)
  • Healthy
Note: This a distinct phenomena from earlier products like Ensure which are expensive, 'incomplete' and high sugar / low fiber.

Soylent started the fad. It's soy-based, has an awesome name and is the most popular product. There's Silicon Valley / "disruption" associations. 

I think the next most popular product is Huel.  Unlike Soylent, it's nutritional information is not a PDF.

PROPONENT CLAIMS:
I commonly see two highly questionable claims from propoents:
  • Going 100% their favorite drink is cheap, easy and healthy
  • Pitching resource-efficient, at-scale production to shrink the agriculture industry's footprint with benefit to environment
PRO:
- 'Easy & Affordable' appears true.  Add powder and water to shaker, shake.  2k Cal typically costs ~$10, which is normal.
- In regards to health, the average American's diet is terrible.  These products do appear to clear that low hurdle.  For example, Huel is low sugar, low G.I., high fiber, cholesterol-free and does hit your RDAs.  It's like vegan Bachelor Chow.

CONS:
- Unknown factors.  Why healthy diets are healthy still includes ambiguity.  You're liable to miss every X factor.

Personal Bias and Opinion:

I've actually taken to using Huel as a replacement for take out.  The concept of 'Bachelor Chow' appeals to me so I tried and found it cheaper, easier and healthier than drive-thru -- and I eat a lot of drive-thru.  I wouldn't try going 100% Huel because who knows what I'd be missing out on?  Also, I'm unfamiliar with what it is about nutrition that vegans and vegetarians have to pay particular attention to.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #612 on: June 19, 2018, 05:05:22 PM »
Human Chow, basically.  [...] Soylent started the fad.

Is it... green? o_O

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #613 on: June 21, 2018, 12:46:19 AM »
The perfect food:

From Dinosaur Comics.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline minelein66

• Brand New
« Reply #614 on: June 24, 2018, 01:37:57 PM »
Hello,

I have a topic suggestion and it's important because my marriage is on the line here ....  >:D

My husband Lamar and I repeatedly have a discussion about the question if animals (like dogs) know that sex will lead to babies. My stand is that they don't. It's instinct.

I tried to read up on this but it seems there's not much material about this out there. The only article that I could find was a scientific debate about at what point humans became aware of this. Which to me is a sign that animals do not know about the cause and effect. I know that some scientists say that they assume that chimpanzees may have an idea of this.

His argument is that a male lion who walks up to a strange female he will try to kill her pups and have sex with her to create his own babies. I told him that's just instinct.

We keep arguing about this so can you please clear this up for us?

Jasmin