Author Topic: Congratulations, Mrs. Rebecca Watson-Rodrigues!  (Read 20254 times)

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
Re: Congratulations, Mrs. Rebecca Watson-Rodrigues!
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2009, 05:33:49 AM »
Sid was at London Skeptics in the Pub last night, and showed no sign of believing he was anything other than genuinely married. There may be some bureaucratic hurdles in supplementing a Vegas marriage with a Green Card, but I don't think they are serious difficulties.
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline rebecca

• Seasoned Contributor
    • http://www.skepchick.org
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2009, 07:03:37 AM »
Hm, I don't recall exactly what I said but I didn't mean to imply it wasn't official. Everything that happened on stage at TAM was 100% fo' real. I think Trinoc is right:

Sid was at London Skeptics in the Pub last night, and showed no sign of believing he was anything other than genuinely married. There may be some bureaucratic hurdles in supplementing a Vegas marriage with a Green Card, but I don't think they are serious difficulties.

We're waiting for the state of Nevada to send us all the paperwork that confirms we're legally wed, and after that we can get going on the visa stuff.

As for who moves where, that's still a bit up in the air. A lot of it depends on who gets a job where first. We're both happy to move, and I doubt either will give up the stuff we've got going on (Skeptics in the Pub, SGU, The Skeptic Mag, etc). I envision a whole lot of traveling no matter where we end up.
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2009, 11:29:27 AM »
Hm, I don't recall exactly what I said but I didn't mean to imply it wasn't official. Everything that happened on stage at TAM was 100% fo' real. I think Trinoc is right:

We're waiting for the state of Nevada to send us all the paperwork that confirms we're legally wed, and after that we can get going on the visa stuff.

As for who moves where, that's still a bit up in the air. A lot of it depends on who gets a job where first. We're both happy to move, and I doubt either will give up the stuff we've got going on (Skeptics in the Pub, SGU, The Skeptic Mag, etc). I envision a whole lot of traveling no matter where we end up.

Ok that proves it there were and are shenanigans involved. Rebecca just proved it  ;) :)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2009, 08:46:34 AM »

Ok that proves it there were and are shenanigans involved. Rebecca just proved it  ;) :)

Xenus hath spoken
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline mrgrammar

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2009, 07:57:08 PM »
Congratulations! What a fun way to get married!
“Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.” Marie Curie

Offline chance

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2009, 04:41:52 AM »
<snip> I envision a whole lot of traveling no matter where we end up.
Congratulations to the happy couple.
What an astonishing world we live in where a couple can meet half a world away, get married, not sure where to live, and spend time in two countries.

Are you now (Boston, London ) Bosdonian’s or Lontonian’s ?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »
Now she's moving to London at the end of the month. You English people have been warned!  ;D
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2009, 03:21:40 PM »
Now she's moving to London at the end of the month. You English people have been warned!  ;D

Aha! I knew we at London Skeptics in the Pub were either going to lose Sid or gain Rebecca. There didn't seem to be anyone preparing to take over, so I assumed we would be getting Rebecca over here. Should be fun!

Offline Batmaz

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2009, 05:49:23 AM »
Ok, it's pretty lame but I've been ill for days and finding out that Rebecca is going to be living in the UK has cheered me right up. We definitely need more intelligent women in this country, I was beginning to feel quite depressed about it. I'm applying to study physics at university this year and I keep asking about the female/male ratio. Apparently 20% of phsyics students being female is a high percentage. Only 3% of Physics lecturers in the UK are female.
[/rant]

But if you ever fancy venturing down the M4 to Wales it's a pretty cool place and there's at least one female sceptic here!
"You don't like it, go somewhere else. Another universe, where the rules are simpler." [Richard Feynman]

Offline rebecca

• Seasoned Contributor
    • http://www.skepchick.org
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2009, 06:51:02 AM »
Ok, it's pretty lame but I've been ill for days and finding out that Rebecca is going to be living in the UK has cheered me right up. We definitely need more intelligent women in this country, I was beginning to feel quite depressed about it. I'm applying to study physics at university this year and I keep asking about the female/male ratio. Apparently 20% of phsyics students being female is a high percentage. Only 3% of Physics lecturers in the UK are female.
[/rant]

But if you ever fancy venturing down the M4 to Wales it's a pretty cool place and there's at least one female sceptic here!

I'd love to see Wales! I'll be exploring quite a bit over the next few months, so stay tuned. And feel better!
Skepchick <- Now with updated URL for 2012!

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2009, 09:43:36 AM »
[/rant]

I'd love to see Wales! I'll be exploring quite a bit over the next few months, so stay tuned. And feel better!
Sounds like you're turning into a "Lady of Leisure".  ;D
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2009, 09:57:03 AM »
Sounds like you're turning into a "Lady of Leisure".  ;D

Wasn't that the subtitle of Fanny Hill? (A book title that I expect has Americans very confused ...)

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Close. It was "Fanny Hill, or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure"  but I'm sure Rebbeca is both  ;)  ;)
- Larry Hardiman

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2009, 10:54:21 AM »
Close. It was "Fanny Hill, or Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure"  but I'm sure Rebbeca is both  ;)  ;)

Ah, right! Yes, I think that is even more applicable ... :)

personate-rain
personate-rain