Author Topic: MonsterTalk - Skeptical Cryptozoology Podcast  (Read 58282 times)

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
  • Hey Kids! It's Doctor Atlantis!
    • http://www.doctoratlantis.com
Re: MonsterTalk - Skeptical Cryptozoology Podcast
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 11:00:23 PM »
So you, Ben and Karen are all the hosts?  I finally met Karen at TAM this year, and I've known Ben for a few years.  Any podcast he's on, I will surely give a listen to.  I just can't do it from my work computer, so it will be a few weeks.

Yeah - I thought it would be a nice mix.  We've been sharing research with each other for about a year or so.  It's nice to get together and talk monsters.

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 11:39:12 AM »
So you, Ben and Karen are all the hosts?  I finally met Karen at TAM this year, and I've known Ben for a few years.  Any podcast he's on, I will surely give a listen to.  I just can't do it from my work computer, so it will be a few weeks.

Yeah - I thought it would be a nice mix.  We've been sharing research with each other for about a year or so.  It's nice to get together and talk monsters.

What about invisible Monsters... like "Shadow People"
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 07:43:43 PM »

What about invisible Monsters... like "Shadow People"

Absolutely we're interested in Shadow People.  That's one of the few Monsters I've seen for myself first-hand.  (Don't want to spoil the episode so no story for now...)

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 10:37:12 PM »
Finally listened. Great stuff. The sound quality is a bit uneven but then the sound quality in my podcast usually sucks too. Sound quality has to get really bad before people tune out. Anyway, wow. Lots of great hosts and a great guest. I watch that Monster Quest and mostly just hang my head in shame. I'm glad you guys got on a guest to clear up the one claim about the DNA from the screw board ep of Monster Quests.

Can't wait for the next ep.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 12:20:11 AM »
The DNA testing part was my favorite part.

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
Re: MonsterTalk - Ep#002 - Patterson-Gimlin
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 11:08:24 AM »
Episode #002 is up.  I don't want to clutter up the SGU's board w/ this kind of post but hopefully they won't mind one little thread.  (Plus I plug 'em in the ep.)

http://www.monstertalk.org/wordpress/?p=89

Episode #002 discusses the "Patterson-Gimlin" film.  And I think we got "most" of the audio issues cleared up.  It certainly sounds better to me.

Offline JMA

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Scepticisme scientifique
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 11:50:25 AM »
If we're talking about the Skeptiko podcast episode after episode, we can do it for the Monster Talk one for sure... ;D

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 10:48:12 AM »
Good work, sounds a lot better.

One thing I find hard to believe is that no-one has re-created the video. Really?

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 12:46:18 PM »
I can't remember if I left it in or not but we got off on a tangent about what - if anything - would be the value of re-producing it.  There have been several "re-creations" but it was obvious that none of them had studied the film or read any criticisms of it.  Their costumes were laughable.

BUT, according to Ben Radford, even if the re-creation was stunning in its accuracy the true believer would not be moved by such evidence.  If you can overlook the deceptions about the dates and times, etc...

Well - it's a lot of spend for little return...

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 12:56:30 PM »
Excellent idea.
I used to watch monster quest in hopes they'd find something that has yet to be documented in the species books.  But at the end of every episode they say the same damn thing, "There is insufficient evidence to prove or disprove the existence of..."

I stopped watching.
Will you be doing something on Chupacabra in the future?
That legend is classic.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Dionysus

• Prideful and Indolent
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • God's Son
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 01:31:18 PM »
But at the end of every episode they say the same damn thing, "There is insufficient evidence to prove or disprove the existence of..."

What a disingenuous statement as well.  What exactly would constitute evidence for the non-existence of something?  Challenging people to prove a negative is a favored tactic of true believers and a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, I'll definitely give this podcast a listen.  It seems these monster myths are the most widespread and believed fairy tales of all besides religion.  I welcome any attempt to inject some basic skepticism into the field of cryptozoology (is this an actual scientific field?).
Behold, God's Son is come unto this land, Of heaven's hot splendour lit to life, when she Of Thebes, even I, Dionysus, whom the brand Who bore me, Cadmus' daughter Semele, Died here. So, changed in shape from God to man... to show me in men's sight - Manifest God.

Offline jedischooldropout

• Off to a Start
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 02:00:07 PM »
....cryptozoology (is this an actual scientific field?).

A cursory look found no degree programs in cryptozoology.

It's hard to call it an out-right non-science as there are occasional findings of previously unknown/unproven cryptids.  But the scientists who make these findings self-identify as biologists, zoologists, anthropologists (in the case of Homo Floresiensis) and so on.  Fair enough - as soon as a cryptozoological specimen is genuinely discovered it immediately graduates to being zoological.

Dr. Bernard Heuvelmans, the generally accepted 'father of cryptozoology' was a zoologist by education.  I don't know how many other genuine scientists call themselves cryptozoologists.  Probably not many.  I suspect it skewers credibility in the blink of an eye.
"You can't rationalize with Jesus freaks, otherwise there'd be no Jesus freaks.”
     - Dr. Gregory House, M.D.

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »
Good Job on this one! And the little audio-clips in between remind me of WNYC's RadioLab.

Hurry up with number 3!

OH! Look Up Charlie Carlson.. he may make a good guest. He's the author of "Weird Florida". - Lots of cool crap down here in the south.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:38:29 PM by Evil Eye »

Offline jedischooldropout

• Off to a Start
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 04:03:44 PM »
RadioLab...

That is high praise.  One of the best radio shows ever.
"You can't rationalize with Jesus freaks, otherwise there'd be no Jesus freaks.”
     - Dr. Gregory House, M.D.

Offline Evil Eye

• THINK!
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 05:44:46 PM »
RadioLab...

That is high praise.  One of the best radio shows ever.

They have the advantage of asking a college class to edit their audio. But it is really REALLY cool.