Author Topic: MonsterTalk - Skeptical Cryptozoology Podcast  (Read 58729 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: MonsterTalk - Skeptical Cryptozoology Podcast
« Reply #435 on: March 06, 2015, 03:24:02 PM »
Were I a big city kid rather than a country bumpkin, I'd have gotten into it around then as well.  I likely wasn't within 200 miles of a D&D book until 1987 at least.  :P
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #436 on: March 06, 2015, 03:34:43 PM »
Were I a big city kid rather than a country bumpkin, I'd have gotten into it around then as well.  I likely wasn't within 200 miles of a D&D book until 1987 at least.  :P

I lived in a little town called Jefferson, New Hampshire. There was a bookstore in Littleton, NH which had the books.
You might have been surprised if you looked.  >:D
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #437 on: March 06, 2015, 03:51:11 PM »
Guaranteed zero for sale pre-1990 inside my roughly 50km inner circle (no bookstores, mostly just canola fields - no towns with over 2000 people).

Possibly a very small handful of places to buy D&D material pre-1990 in my roughly 400km outer circle (a handful of bookstores, some of which could have been selling D&D material - one town of [at the time] roughly 30k people, nothing else over 10k).  In 1990 I located exactly one place with D&D books - might have been more, and there definitely were plenty more even by 1993.

Definitely bookstores selling D&D material just at that 400km mark, even back to the 70s.

I'll concede that my 200 miles was exaggerating, but not by a lot.

Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #438 on: March 06, 2015, 03:59:23 PM »
OK, got to the end.  A bit shallow for me, but that's probably because of how deep in I have dived into the topic myself.  Would probably enjoy the actual book by the guest more than this general overview of the book.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #439 on: March 06, 2015, 04:03:22 PM »
I understand what you mean about it not being in depth enough
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
  • Hey Kids! It's Doctor Atlantis!
    • http://www.doctoratlantis.com
« Reply #440 on: March 22, 2015, 09:52:36 AM »
The book is VERY detailed.  It is extremely well researched and has a plethora of footnotes and a rich bibliography.  I always figure our role is to try get the most accessible narrative overview from material that goes that deep because to really dig in would make it a 2 or 3 hour lecture series and what I was really trying to accomplish was an overview of this one aspect of the Satanic Panic.  That is a broad topic in itself, but I knew that this particular sub-topic was monster rich and would not (hopefully) gain me the usual barrage of angry emails suggesting I leave religion out of the show.   At any rate, glad you folks gave it a listen. :)

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #441 on: March 22, 2015, 02:57:33 PM »
The book is VERY detailed.  It is extremely well researched and has a plethora of footnotes and a rich bibliography.  I always figure our role is to try get the most accessible narrative overview from material that goes that deep because to really dig in would make it a 2 or 3 hour lecture series and what I was really trying to accomplish was an overview of this one aspect of the Satanic Panic.  That is a broad topic in itself, but I knew that this particular sub-topic was monster rich and would not (hopefully) gain me the usual barrage of angry emails suggesting I leave religion out of the show.   At any rate, glad you folks gave it a listen. :)

What is the name of the book?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #442 on: March 23, 2015, 03:57:31 PM »
Just never get tired of stories about the 80s satan panics. Amazing how stupid people were. And are.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #443 on: March 23, 2015, 09:54:45 PM »
Just never get tired of stories about the 80s satan panics. Amazing how stupid people were. And are.

Even today, an Italian prosecutor tried to argue that a US college student murdered her roommate in some type of Satanic ritual.
There was also a case where a couple who played dungeons and dragons had their daughter attacked by a dog and the prosecutor tried to use the doctors having cleaned up the wound as evidence of some kind of satanic ritual.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #444 on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:09 AM »

Even today, an Italian prosecutor tried to argue that a US college student murdered her roommate in some type of Satanic ritual.
There was also a case where a couple who played dungeons and dragons had their daughter attacked by a dog and the prosecutor tried to use the doctors having cleaned up the wound as evidence of some kind of satanic ritual.

Yeah, amazing in such a high profile case the American media isn't bitch slapping this prosecutor theory six ways to Sunday.

Korean Podcast

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #445 on: April 18, 2015, 02:50:18 PM »
Latest one has an interview with John Ronson . . . . . Interesting that David Icke might have been right about something in that there seem to have been widespread pedophilia in British government and entertainment. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 02:55:09 PM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #446 on: April 18, 2015, 02:51:53 PM »
Latest one has an interview with John Ronson . . . . . Interesting that David Icke might have been right about something in taht there seem to have been widespread pedophilia in British government and entertainment. 
He was a sports announcer, maybe he new from personal knowledge?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #447 on: April 18, 2015, 02:56:46 PM »
Latest one has an interview with John Ronson . . . . . Interesting that David Icke might have been right about something in that there seem to have been widespread pedophilia in British government and entertainment. 
He was a sports announcer, maybe he new from personal knowledge?

Jon Ronson suggests that it might also be due to Icke dealing with groups who are on the fringes but he does not know how Icke came up with it. I don't know if he knew it or if it was a broken clock sort of situation.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #448 on: April 20, 2015, 09:08:19 AM »
Good summary of the UK pedo ring:

http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-britain-pedophile-allegations-20141223-story.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westminster_paedophile_dossier

These weird British celebs being busted for abusing children might be a "tip of the iceberg" thing.

Korean Podcast

Offline DoctorAtlantis

• What?
  • Well Established
  • Hey Kids! It's Doctor Atlantis!
    • http://www.doctoratlantis.com
« Reply #449 on: April 21, 2015, 10:44:28 AM »
What is the name of the book?

Dangerous Games: What the Moral Panic over Role-Playing Games Says about Play, Religion, and Imagined Worlds
http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Games-Role-Playing-Religion-Imagined/dp/0520284925

By Joe Laycock.

personate-rain