Author Topic: Decreasing Forum Traffic  (Read 32254 times)

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
    • View Profile
Re: Decreasing Forum Traffic
« Reply #210 on: July 20, 2009, 02:46:10 pm »
For long term listening who frequent the boards there are only so many times you can discuss a topic such as "what is the worse argument for god you have heard," or "my mother wants to join a footpad cult, what should I do?"  I am not saying the topics are not legitimate, but the many of the same general questions get recycled over the course of a year. 

Maybe some of the older members need to chill out about repeat topics a bit. I recall many a new thread being crushed immediately with a link to an old dead thread and an old poster saying "WE TALKED ABOUT THIS AT LENGTH ALREADY!!!!1!! SHUT UP!!! SHUT UUUUUP!!!" I can see how new members might be a bit cowed by that type of atmosphere.

Yea, forums are the ideal place for rediscussing an issue ad nauseum.  I mean, if you are tired of the "atheist vs. agnostic debate" that's fine; but, for new members (or, even old members that want to revisit the issue) I don't see how this should bother anyone else.  Just don't read or post in that thread!
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 20, 2009, 02:59:06 pm »
Yea, forums are the ideal place for rediscussing an issue ad nauseum.  I mean, if you are tired of the "atheist vs. agnostic debate" that's fine; but, for new members (or, even old members that want to revisit the issue) I don't see how this should bother anyone else.  Just don't read or post in that thread!

This is an excellent point.

No one (not even I) should feel obligated to read every single word of every single thread.  If a thread's subject doesn't interest you, just skip to the next one.  I know this is easier said than done, but it's true.

Offline Trinoc

• Frequent Poster
  • Dumb, in a pocket, and proud of it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 20, 2009, 04:01:59 pm »
It always amazes me how often someone posts in a thread just to tell the people already there to shut up because they are not interested in the subject, or it's something they have discussed before, or whatever. I wonder whether they listen in to conversations in the pub and butt in if they think they are boring. If they do, they had better make sure they have a good dentist.
I'm a skeptic. Not a "skepdude". Not a "man skeptic". Just a skeptic.

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • View Profile
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #213 on: July 20, 2009, 04:25:28 pm »

No one (not even I) should feel obligated to read every single word of every single thread.  If a thread's subject doesn't interest you, just skip to the next one.  I know this is easier said than done, but it's true.

One thing that might help would be a way to unsubscribe from a thread. Sometimes one participated in a thread early on, thinking it will be an interesting discussion, and then it devolves into a mindless spam thread that goes on for ages and hundreds of posts. If you spoke up once, you are permanently sentenced to getting this thread popping up in your "show new replies to your posts" section.

I'd love to unsubscribe to the "word association" thread, for example.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • View Profile
    • Anomalina
« Reply #214 on: July 20, 2009, 05:44:13 pm »

One thing that might help would be a way to unsubscribe from a thread. Sometimes one participated in a thread early on, thinking it will be an interesting discussion, and then it devolves into a mindless spam thread that goes on for ages and hundreds of posts. If you spoke up once, you are permanently sentenced to getting this thread popping up in your "show new replies to your posts" section.

Yes! This is what I thought the admins were talking about when they rolled out the ability to "ignore forum sections"... unfortunately the actual feature wasn't as useful to me.

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 20, 2009, 05:46:35 pm »

Yes! This is what I thought the admins were talking about when they rolled out the ability to "ignore forum sections"... unfortunately the actual feature wasn't as useful to me.

This was brought to the mods attention before; apparently, it would require major reprogramming to change, so while they are aware of the issue, it's not something which is readily fixable.

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 20, 2009, 06:00:34 pm »
I had a couple of joking (read: non-helpful) replies in mind, but then a potentially useful idea hit me:   have the existing word association thread die a peaceful death, and have another thread to replace it.  It would require a little cooperation by other forum members, or active intervention by the mods.

It could be as simple as have a current W.A thread poster (skullker, Morvis, etc.) start a new Word Association thread.  At the same time anyone can put a note in the existing thread stating that to help "clean up" the forum, or something like that, the most recent word has been copied to a new thread (with a link) and would people be so kind as to continue over there?  In a few days, hopefully the old thread will fall off the radar. 

If it works, the same thing could possibly be done to a few other threads that seem to no historical value (like the other Word Association game).

The downside is that some people like to see the threads get really big, so they may think this is a really bad idea.     OTOH, Word Association has #1 locked up, and if another similar thread could get up to 2229 posts, it would bump Waste of Time from the Top 10.    You might get plenty of cooperation based on that fact alone!

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • View Profile
    • Schlock Treatment
« Reply #217 on: July 20, 2009, 06:11:16 pm »
The downside is that some people like to see the threads get really big, so they may think this is a really bad idea.

Which I'll never understand. Maybe if they limited threads to 100 pages...then it would force "continued" or "part II" or "Return of" threads to be made, and allow no-longer-willing participants to bow out.

Offline JamesTate

• I'm Actually Mr. Wiggles
  • Frequent Poster
  • All things being equal
    • View Profile
    • A Skeptics Journey
« Reply #218 on: July 20, 2009, 07:40:22 pm »

Well, I know ducky has looked for a patch, as I have for smf. If anyone comes across one, and post the finding for ducky to see. It'll probably get get installed in due time.

But yea, I would love a feature that allows you to organize threads, into different folders. So, with something like that, you can move threads into a apathy folder and never check them again.

It would also allow member to organize threads to keep better track of the ones they are actively participating compared to those they are mildly active in.