Author Topic: hardcore history  (Read 17076 times)

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
Re: hardcore history
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
rise yee dead thread rise,  :science:

So WTF, I just noticed the most recent podcast claims to be 5+hours long? Is that right? I haven't tried listening it yet but wow, that's wow. why would you do that?

He said they wanted to get the series finished so they could move on to other topics. It's really good. I finished it already.
You underestimate the amount of people who are literally Hitler.
-Colts Homer

Offline DoctorOHM

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Would you?
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 10:29:57 AM »
I'm gonna start listening today!
"I'm part of the form-destroying process of entropy"
"To err is human. To arr is pirate"

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »
5 Hours of awesome.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline DoctorOHM

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Would you?
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 12:38:16 PM »
More than half way through it, loving it!
"I'm part of the form-destroying process of entropy"
"To err is human. To arr is pirate"

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 01:07:58 PM »
I love this podcast.

I think he's too assertive about the "facts" sometimes, but I actually find that endearing--it's nice to be reminded that I'm listening to a person with opinions and biases, not a talking textbook.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline David E.

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 01:15:06 PM »
"We grow strong  through Pity and Generosity."
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »
The story that really stuck in my mind was how bad of an idea it was to call Clodia a whore. Makes the insanity that family is responsible for in the imperial period seem much less like it came simply from having absolute power.
-Colts Homer

Offline burpy

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 07:17:29 AM »
I just finished listening and could have listened to another 5 and a half hours. I guess the take-home lesson is that a benevolent dictator is better than a bunch of people who claim to represent the people, but only represent their own interests. Right?
Rejoice not at thine enemy's fall - but don't rush to pick him up either. - Jewish proverb.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »
I just finished listening and could have listened to another 5 and a half hours. I guess the take-home lesson is that a benevolent dictator is better than a bunch of people who claim to represent the people, but only represent their own interests. Right?

A truly benevolent (and intelligent) despot is about the best government that can exist, IMO. Problem is, there's no way of predicting whether or not your despot will be truly benevolent or intelligent, and even if they are, the next one probably won't be...
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 12:13:17 PM »

A truly benevolent (and intelligent) despot is about the best government that can exist, IMO. Problem is, there's no way of predicting whether or not your despot will be truly benevolent or intelligent, and even if they are, the next one probably won't be...

See Marcus Aurelius.
-Colts Homer

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 11:49:31 PM »
And it does bear mentioning that even after the Republic died, Rome the nation-state lingered on until, depending on how you want to define it, another 600 years post-Caesar (taking the tack that the sacking of the city after Theodoric, who himself claimed to be king (rex) of Rome rather than emperor (imperator), was the end of the western Empire), 1500 years (if you are of the opinion that the Empire's capital was simply relocated to Constantinople and thus didn't fall until 1453), or close to 2 millennia (if you believe Charlemagne's hype that he simply re-asserted Roman hegemony, which puts the Holy Roman Empire as an extension of the original Roman Empire, and that didn't fall until Napoleon toppled it). So even with an increasingly crappy set of despots - at one point in the 200s CE I believe a guy literally paid his way into an emperor-ship (I also STR that he was slain within the year) - an empire as great as this can limp along for centuries.

Anyway, I personally found the last episode fascinating, although I really hope that now that Dan's done with the obviously MASSIVE amount of research he put into what is less of a podcast and more of an audiobook, he can put together HHs more often than once a quarter.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 12:15:19 AM »
Didius Julianus, successor to my favorite short lived emperor, Pertinax. Just 13 years after the death of the last of the "5 good emperors".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didius_Julianus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pertinax
-Colts Homer

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 12:18:38 AM »
I'm partial to Valerian, myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_(emperor)

Quote from: wiki got good infos
An early Christian source, Lactantius, maintained that for some time prior to his death Valerian was subjected to the greatest insults by his captors, such as being used as a human footstool by Shapur when mounting his horse. According to this version of events, after a long period of such treatment Valerian offered Shapur a huge ransom for his release. In reply, according to one version, Shapur was said to have forced Valerian to swallow molten gold (the other version of his death is almost the same but it says that Valerian was killed by being flayed alive) and then had the unfortunate Valerian skinned and his skin stuffed with straw and preserved as a trophy in the main Persian temple. It was further alleged by Lactantius that it was only after a later Persian defeat against Rome that his skin was given a cremation and burial.[6]
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 12:24:52 AM »
I love Pertinax for seeing exactly the road the empire was heading down with the Praetorian Guard playing kingmaker for whoever will line their pockets best rather than protecting Rome and the Emperor. He also decided to try to talk down 2 or 3 hundred armed praetorians rather than flee and was almost successful, but one guy wasn't having it and stabbed him.
-Colts Homer

Offline David E.

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 12:32:14 AM »
His best work since Ghosts of.