Author Topic: hardcore history  (Read 30321 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: hardcore history
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2018, 06:33:57 AM »
I couldn't finish An Army at Dawn.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2018, 10:15:49 AM »
If you have the time B .H.Liddell Hart "History of the Second World War". Is a nice over view of the war. 
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #167 on: July 29, 2018, 11:05:30 AM »
If you have the time B .H.Liddell Hart "History of the Second World War". Is a nice over view of the war.
I read Rise and Fall of the Third Reich when it came out in paperback. I was in the fifth grade. Needed a BIG dictionary.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2018, 11:08:16 AM »
I’ve wanted to read Raul Hilberg’s The Destruction of the European Jews since I heard a lecture by him in college, but I’ve never been able to bring myself to face the task.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2018, 11:33:53 AM »
If any of you like hard core military history, come visit http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar. We have terabytes of files on WWII.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
I’ve ended up there a couple of times, but military history is not really my thing.  I’m more interested in social and economic history and the history of science and technology (which admittedly is often connected to military history).
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2018, 04:47:47 PM »

In retrospect I'm surprised how many glowing reviews I found for the series.  It's very well researched, but I can only read about advance/retreat/advance/retreat/hold/hold/hold/advance so many times before it becomes mind-numbingly boring.  The Africa campaign is the probably worst in this regard, partly because I had no landmarks or even a sense of scale of troop movements.  I wonder if more pop-culture depictions of this phase of the war would have made it easier for me to digest (Battlefield 1942 is basically my only exposure to African and Italian battles).

Offline haudace

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Reality under scrutiny
« Reply #172 on: July 29, 2018, 05:14:05 PM »
The episodes where he touches on Mongol history is mental orgasm.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2018, 05:42:33 PM »

In retrospect I'm surprised how many glowing reviews I found for the series.  It's very well researched, but I can only read about advance/retreat/advance/retreat/hold/hold/hold/advance so many times before it becomes mind-numbingly boring.  The Africa campaign is the probably worst in this regard, partly because I had no landmarks or even a sense of scale of troop movements.  I wonder if more pop-culture depictions of this phase of the war would have made it easier for me to digest (Battlefield 1942 is basically my only exposure to African and Italian battles).
I have some very detailed maps but couldn't follow his action.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #174 on: September 26, 2018, 11:19:14 AM »
Realized I hadn't listed to episode 1 of Hardcore History Addendum so rectifying that today. Just blurt laughed at at my desk at "Imagine Hitler is Taylor Swift, sorry Taylor Swift"

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2018, 04:04:53 PM »

Hmmm....the only movies I can think of off hand that touch on the North Africa theatre are the Humphrey Bogart SAHARA and  PATTON with George C. Scott. Oh, and there was the old RAT PATROL TV series.  I guess Americans don't like to remember Kasserine Pass......
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 04:09:30 PM by Paul Blevins Jr. »

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »

I have some very detailed maps but couldn't follow his action.

Thank you! I thought it was just me! I love military history and yet found Army at Dawn a slog. Still managed to finish it with effort and disappointment. 

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »
It's great if you're following Grandpa after Kasserine, I guess.

Offline JohnM

« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2019, 04:10:40 PM »

New episode out:

Supernova in the East II

Offline God Bomb

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2019, 07:52:25 PM »
I can always distance myself from tales of the sacking of other cities in history, but maybe because of how recent it was reading/hearing about what happened in Nanjing is always haunting to me. 
Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath, now for ruin, and the red dawn.

personate-rain