Author Topic: A true/false quiz - technically Quiz #37 (answers provided)  (Read 1760 times)

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
A true/false quiz - technically Quiz #37 (answers provided)
« on: August 04, 2009, 11:20:37 AM »
I used to love this quiz so I decided to bring it back.
All you need to do is answer all 10 as T or F.
Please don't look at others' answers or search for them.
Don't be embarassed to answer even if you don't know - take a guess.
I mean, who actually knows all these answers off the top of their head anyway?

I will leave it up for 3 days then reveal the answers.

1.   Scientists at Lund University in Sweden have photographed an electron

2.   An attosecond is equivalent to one quadrillionth of a second.

3.   Scientists estimate that sleep lost due to daylight saving time reduces the average lifespan by nearly two full months

4.   A Florida company offers “euthanasia cruises” on which terminally ill and suicidal passengers end their lives by jumping overboard.

5.   The youngest mother on record was a 5-year-old Peruvian girl.

6.   A tropical fungus has adapted to infect ants and force them to chomp into perfectly located leaves before killing them and taking over their bodies

7.   The Bowhead Whale, in an effort to mate, changes its song every year and does not repeat a previous song.

8.   DAT, or Dolphin-assisted therapy, has been proven as an effective way to combat depression.

9.   By proclamation of George W. Bush, June 10, 2000 was noted as “Jesus Day” in Texas.

10.   Sound travels more than 4 times faster in water than in air.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:13:33 PM by StoneQuarry »
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Remember the quiz?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:01:57 PM »
I've occasionally thought of doing one of these, as well.  Thanks SQ!

False

True

3.   Scientists estimate that sleep lost due to daylight saving time reduces the average lifespan by nearly two full months
False

4.   A Florida company offers “euthanasia cruises” on which terminally ill and suicidal passengers end their lives by jumping overboard.
False

False

6.   A tropical fungus has adapted to infect ants and force them to chomp into perfectly located leaves before killing them and taking over their bodies
True

7.   The Bowhead Whale, in an effort to mate, changes its song every year and does not repeat a previous song.
False

8.   DAT, or Dolphin-assisted therapy, has been proven as an effective way to combat depression.
False

9.   By proclamation of George W. Bush, June 10, 2000 was noted as “Jesus Day” in Texas.
False

True
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survived both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:05:07 PM »
I missed it too.

1.   Scientists at Lund University in Sweden have photographed an electron T

2.   An attosecond is equivalent to one quadrillionth of a second. T

3.   Scientists estimate that sleep lost due to daylight saving time reduces the average lifespan by nearly two full months F

4.   A Florida company offers “euthanasia cruises” on which terminally ill and suicidal passengers end their lives by
jumping overboard.
F

5.   The youngest mother on record was a 5-year-old Peruvian girl.F

6.   A tropical fungus has adapted to infect ants and force them to chomp into perfectly located leaves before killing them and taking over their bodies T

7.   The Bowhead Whale, in an effort to mate, changes its song every year and does not repeat a previous song. T

8.   DAT, or Dolphin-assisted therapy, has been proven as an effective way to combat depression. T

9.   By proclamation of George W. Bush, June 10, 2000 was noted as “Jesus Day” in Texas. T

10.   Sound travels more than 4 times faster in water than in air. F
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman

Offline DK

• Dave, my mind is going.
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • My Blog: Self-Indulgent Navel Gazing
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:17:24 PM »
Yay!!!! Return of the quiz!!!!

1.   Scientists at Lund University in Sweden have photographed an electron  True

2.   An attosecond is equivalent to one quadrillionth of a second.  True

3.   Scientists estimate that sleep lost due to daylight saving time reduces the average lifespan by nearly two full months  False

4.   A Florida company offers “euthanasia cruises” on which terminally ill and suicidal passengers end their lives by jumping overboard.  False

5.   The youngest mother on record was a 5-year-old Peruvian girl.  False

6.   A tropical fungus has adapted to infect ants and force them to chomp into perfectly located leaves before killing them and taking over their bodies  True

7.   The Bowhead Whale, in an effort to mate, changes its song every year and does not repeat a previous song.  True

8.   DAT, or Dolphin-assisted therapy, has been proven as an effective way to combat depression.  True

9.   By proclamation of George W. Bush, June 10, 2000 was noted as “Jesus Day” in Texas.  False

10.   Sound travels more than 4 times faster in water than in air.  True

Offline alexbutterfield

• Frequent Poster
  • Wins with Town
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 04:14:08 PM »
1.   Scientists at Lund University in Sweden have photographed an electron T

2.   An attosecond is equivalent to one quadrillionth of a second. T

3.   Scientists estimate that sleep lost due to daylight saving time reduces the average lifespan by nearly two full months F

4.   A Florida company offers “euthanasia cruises” on which terminally ill and suicidal passengers end their lives by jumping overboard. F

5.   The youngest mother on record was a 5-year-old Peruvian girl. F

6.   A tropical fungus has adapted to infect ants and force them to chomp into perfectly located leaves before killing them and taking over their bodies T

7.   The Bowhead Whale, in an effort to mate, changes its song every year and does not repeat a previous song. T

8.   DAT, or Dolphin-assisted therapy, has been proven as an effective way to combat depression. F

9.   By proclamation of George W. Bush, June 10, 2000 was noted as “Jesus Day” in Texas. F

10.   Sound travels more than 4 times faster in water than in air. F

Offline ptenisnet

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:25:27 PM »

Okay, here goes with gut reactions and no thought...

F

F

T

F

T

T

T

F

F

T

Anyway, nice one SQ
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:31:08 PM by ptenisnet »
"Many hands make a tall horse" - Michael Russell

Offline Jim S

• I demand that you shoot me now!
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 05:26:10 PM »
bump.
A bit of dumb, On a flea, On the wing, On the fly, On the frog, On the bump, On the log, In the hole, In the middle of the sea of awesome.

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 05:30:39 PM »
1.   Scientists at Lund University in Sweden have photographed an electron.
F

T

3.   Scientists estimate that sleep lost due to daylight saving time reduces the average lifespan by nearly two full months.
T

T

T

6.   A tropical fungus has adapted to infect ants and force them to chomp into perfectly located leaves before killing them and taking over their bodies.
T lol

T

<3 but F

Ew. F

T

Thanks for bringing this back! I loved it (when I remembered about it).
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 06:28:05 PM »

False
The youngest mother on record is a 5 year old Peruvian girl. 7 year old Peruvian girl.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 11:11:31 PM »
bump!
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 11:59:21 PM »
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline DK

• Too Much Spare Time

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 09:58:20 AM »

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 11:31:07 PM »
I will reveal the answers tomorrow sometime.
Come on, answer them!
You know you want to.

Offline DK

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 08:48:11 AM »
I think the problem is that the Quiz used to be in the S&S section and regular players of the Quiz may not visit the Games section.

I'll make a pimping thread and link to here.

personate-rain