Author Topic: Podcast Interview suggestions  (Read 54778 times)

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • Fear & Loathing.
    • Me.
Re: Podcast Interview suggestions
« Reply #360 on: August 08, 2017, 09:50:37 PM »
Now we have Cara, whom I love and remember from her interviews with the SGU. Something is there, which maybe I was implying, as to why Rebecca has not been back.

It has been awhile, okay?  If all were kosher, why has she not been back in how long?

(I didn't say they moved on, but there's (and none of will ever know why) a reason she has not been back. Her departure, so unknowing to all listeners, possibly abrupt, one might think. Why has she not been back?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:54:34 PM by Bill K »
"We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #361 on: August 08, 2017, 11:54:56 PM »
Personally, I think you're reading way too much into this.  Rebecca left because she wanted to focus on her YouTube videos and more political content.  She felt that was where she could do the most good and make the best living for herself. I see no reason to think there's any "reason" she hasn't been on, nor do I see any reason to think Cara has anything to do with it.

Look, I've had lots of people I worked with for years who went on to other things, and we've always vowed to stay in touch. But it never happens l.  That's the way life is.  People move on, they get caught up in their lives, and such reunions rarely happen. I see no reason to think that's not just what has happened here.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #362 on: August 09, 2017, 02:37:46 AM »
I have a lot of the same questions as Bill K. It seems really weird that Rebecca hasn't been back on the show. Without Rebecca, I can't imagine the SGU would have anywhere near the audience it has today.

I know that people get busy. But the SGU hasn't even done any cross-promotional stuff for Rebecca. No shout-outs regarding her YouTube videos, her Patreon stuff, her writing, or Skepchick. She is making awesome skeptical content, and still seems focused on science communication. Why not promote her work on the SGU?

Bill K, I share your puzzlement. You certainly won't get any feedback from the SGU by posting on these boards. My suggestion would be to e-mail them (and I hope you do). But they are very selective with the e-mails they respond to. If you are a Facebook user (I'm not), you can try asking them a question on their Facebook page. That might be the best way to get their attention-- I think they are pretty active there.

Maybe Rebecca got tired of the SGU's often milquetoast response to issues involving sexism. Or maybe that's just me.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #363 on: August 09, 2017, 05:37:45 AM »
She has been back, though, during the 10 hour live show.
Mooohn!

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #364 on: August 09, 2017, 05:16:10 PM »
Hey, don't try to mess up my conspiracy theory with facts and whatnot.

Seriously, that's great news. I'll have to go back and find it. I'm sure it will bring up a lot of feelings of nostalgia! Still wish she could make a podcast appearance.

Offline Romeo Chesterton

• Brand New
« Reply #365 on: September 02, 2017, 08:51:54 PM »
Hello my favourite podcast. I have a potential interview you may like to do. I listened with glee when Eran mentioned the Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex (Tidbinbilla) as my father worked there for 30 years. Digital Systems Engineer 1976 - 1990, Deputy Director 1990 - 1994, Director 1994 - 2006. He played a part in many space missions including the Voyager program. I'm sure I could persuade him to participate in an interview if you are interested.

Offline ptrussell

• Brand New
« Reply #366 on: September 10, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »
Suggestion update  Colds and Flu

To relieve stuffy nose a hot shower is recommended but
A recent lifehacker article suggest ice to constrict blood vessels.  https://lifehacker.com/cure-a-stuffed-nose-with-an-ice-cube-1280843412

Some suggested caution on blowing the nose http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/health/10real.html  Has there been confirmation on this?

What will happen to cough medicines  with codine during the opioid problem?  Is there a replacement for coughs that prevent sleeping?

Dr Mark Crislip mentioned that getting flu vaccines too early may lead to a wearing off  during the late winter/spring.  Is there research on getting a flu vaccine 2 times during flu season?

Offline Lothian

• Brand New
« Reply #367 on: September 19, 2017, 11:21:33 PM »
Hi,

This is perhaps a very belated interview suggestion, but I happened upon this wonderful interview with Isaac Asimov who was my childhood favorite science fiction writer. In this interview he demonstrates so much of what I would consider to be cutting edge of the skeptic ideals. My idea would be to have a topic discussing the history of skepticism, some of the important people and an expert on the topic. But this is just a priceless interview

Thanks for all the good work. You have actually changed my life.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #368 on: September 20, 2017, 06:14:11 PM »
Now we have Cara, whom I love and remember from her interviews with the SGU. Something is there, which maybe I was implying, as to why Rebecca has not been back.

It has been awhile, okay?  If all were kosher, why has she not been back in how long?

(I didn't say they moved on, but there's (and none of will ever know why) a reason she has not been back. Her departure, so unknowing to all listeners, possibly abrupt, one might think. Why has she not been back?

If you want some more fodder for this, here is something: On the current SGU logo you see four stars to the right of the rocket, and one to the left, a bit "off" from the others. I recall reading on Reddit months ago that some people speculated that the four stars to the right are the current rogues, whereas the star to the left is Perry. Someone on Reddit claimed that this interpretation was confirmed by Jay.

I can try to find this tomorrow.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #369 on: September 20, 2017, 08:52:58 PM »
Looking back, I think Asimov’s non-fiction works we’re a huge influence on me, skeptically.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline PabloHoney

• Off to a Start
  • How many pits are in a pear?
« Reply #370 on: October 09, 2017, 04:58:31 PM »
I suggest Ritchie Davidson and Daniel Goldman.

Steve :steve: has said in the past (and I'm paraphrasing here) that meditation has benefits that could be achieved with any kind of relaxation.  Ritchie and Daniel's new book Altered Traits is absolutely dripping with skepticism of dubious claims about meditation and unrelenting about the need for adhering to the scientific method, but also summarizes many benefits of meditation that Ritchie's team has teased out in his lab beyond active controls. 
Would love to hear an interview of these guys to see if you can poke holes in their findings or methodology, or whether Steve adjusts his position about benefits of meditation. 

Or for a back-up plan, how about a book review of Altered Traits?!

personate-rain
personate-rain