Author Topic: Forum (sguforums.com) Change suggestions  (Read 40159 times)

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Forum Change suggestions
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 05:49:25 PM »
This site should have a forum dedicated to psychology.

We create new forums on a purely reactive basis.  That is, when a subject starts getting talked in such volume that it detracts from other topics on a forum, we make a new forum to handle the popular subject.

If psychology becomes a popular subject, we'll create a new forum for it.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2009, 08:43:22 PM »

We create new forums on a purely reactive basis.  That is, when a subject starts getting talked in such volume that it detracts from other topics on a forum, we make a new forum to handle the popular subject.

Your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to post-whore about psychology ;D

Actually, I'd like to see more stuff on here about psychology, so hopefully mr steele delivers on his promises of psychology posting. Or I could, I dunno, do some reading or research or something like that.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline FunkyFredFrog

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • To teach is a gift.....
    • Some Music I'm working on
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 05:52:26 PM »
For Jay and the Website Team.

Could we have an option when doing a poll for a separate option - one that is calculated as OTHER but people can type a different option to the one's on show?

I'm trying to do a poll for what to call this decade - but there are bound to be some new suggestions that people wont make that I won't have thought of. At the moment I can make an option called OTHER but I don't know what their suggestion will be - or can they comment on their poll choice? I wouldn't think so from what I've seen.

Thanks Guys
Man is certainly stark raving mad. He cannot make a worm, yet he makes gods by the dozens - Michel de Montaigne
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence - Bertrand Russel.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »
For Jay and the Website Team.

Could we have an option when doing a poll for a separate option - one that is calculated as OTHER but people can type a different option to the one's on show?

I'm trying to do a poll for what to call this decade - but there are bound to be some new suggestions that people wont make that I won't have thought of. At the moment I can make an option called OTHER but I don't know what their suggestion will be - or can they comment on their poll choice? I wouldn't think so from what I've seen.

Thanks Guys

FYI the rouges don't have much to do with running the forums and the software involved with it.  If you want to make personal appeals to the person in charge of this type of change, make it to TheLostVertex.  His ego needs the stroking anyway   ::).  I'm not even sure this type of thing is possible.  Have you seen it available on other forums?  If so, link plsthx.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 06:43:26 PM »

I suggest making an option called "Other (specify below)", and then hope that people who choose that option do indeed specify below.
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline FunkyFredFrog

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »
Done that so I will see if our idea comes to any fruition Beleth
Man is certainly stark raving mad. He cannot make a worm, yet he makes gods by the dozens - Michel de Montaigne
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence - Bertrand Russel.

Offline FunkyFredFrog

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 07:52:36 AM »
I maybe in a minority but I bet it's growing in that I use my mobile phone to login to the website. When I want to giro the end of a thread it's difficult to click on the last number. Could there be a larger button saying END that stands out so mobile users can click on it easily. Applies to touchscreens more I guess.
Thanks

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2010, 10:24:02 PM »
i usually just zoom in - i dunno if you can do that on your phone, though.

how do you browser the forum: do you go through subforum by subforum or do you use the "show unread" links?

Offline FunkyFredFrog

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 08:25:30 AM »
I use an Iphone but I can click on the GO DOWN or GO UP buttons without zooming in and out so I was hoping for a similar thing for looking at the end of a thread.
Maybe I'm lazy but I stay in contact with the forums all over the place via Mobile Technology and it'd make the forums easier to use for me and others using this.

FFF

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 08:38:28 AM »
I use an Iphone but I can click on the GO DOWN or GO UP buttons without zooming in and out so I was hoping for a similar thing for looking at the end of a thread.
Maybe I'm lazy but I stay in contact with the forums all over the place via Mobile Technology and it'd make the forums easier to use for me and others using this.

FFF

:D That's what you get when you use a 3" screen to browse the web.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 10:28:33 AM »

so how many more sports threads to I have to start in order for there to be a sports sub-forum? :)
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 11:16:58 AM »
so how many more sports threads to I have to start in order for there to be a sports sub-forum? :)

-- Stephan Grellet

Offline jaypee

• Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 11:22:59 AM »
^^ don't tempt me :)
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 01:55:58 AM »

FFF

ah, so you have essentially the same set-up as i do (i have a Touch).

but my original question stands: do you use the links or do you go through each subforum? i guess it doesn't completely matter, but if you go to the forum page where it lists all the threads in that forum, you can see the last person who posted in that thread all the way to the right. you'll see a little icon that looks like an arrow bursting forth from a piece of paper. if you click this icon, it'll take you to the last post in the thread.

:mysterysolved:

Offline swan

• Brand New
More Options for Forum Skin (Yes, I tried to post this in suggestions...)
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2010, 12:57:35 PM »
[size="1"]Yes, I know this belongs in "suggestions," but I don't have the option to create new threads there. (I'm guessing people need a certain message count first, which I can't come up with because...)[/size]

While the current default layout of the forum is pretty cool, it's exceptionally difficult for me to use because I have protanomaly (a red-green "color blindness") which makes red look extremely dark. It's so bad that I can't even read the back of a Coke can where the black letters are on the "bright" red background. Basically, any red value less than 60 or 70 doesn't even register above a black background for my eyes, regardless of how much I try to configure monitors (and I've tried on several); the rest is just very dark and an extreme strain on my eyes.

And yes, I do use "select all" so that I can read the text, but it's inconvenient and still not very good... and people really shouldn't have to do that.

So trying to use browse the forum is just torture, not only for the listings but also the default color of the message text. Did the software come with any other skins? I know most forum software packages have a dark blue to light gray skin option. At the very least even a black & white version would let me be as active as I'd like.

(If there is an option in the control panel — and I've gone through "Look and Layout" and the others several times — then let me know where it's hiding.)

If you can't do it or it costs money then I understand and will continue to only listen. But it would be nice.

personate-rain
personate-rain