Author Topic: Forum (sguforums.com) Change suggestions  (Read 53729 times)

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: More Options for Forum Skin (Yes, I tried to post this in suggestions...)
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »
(If there is an option in the control panel — and I've gone through "Look and Layout" and the others several times — then let me know where it's hiding.)

If you can't do it or it costs money then I understand and will continue to only listen. But it would be nice.

It is kind of hiding... go to Profile -> Modify Profile -> Look and Layout -> Current Theme:

At the end of the "Current Theme:" line there's the word "change" in parentheses.  Click on it, and select "SGU Light".  That theme is black text on a light blue background, with very little red.

Please let me know if this helps.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2010, 01:42:41 PM »
[size="1"]Yes, I know this belongs in "suggestions," but I don't have the option to create new threads there. (I'm guessing people need a certain message count first, which I can't come up with because...)[/size]

no, that subforum was compressed a while ago into this thread. :)

hope the light theme works for ya.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Plutonium is your friend!
    • Is it working?
Re: Forum Change suggestions
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2010, 01:46:20 PM »
You can also go into your browser settings and over ride the colors (and font and font size) for what is displayed in your browser.

FireFox

Tools>Options>Fonts and colors>advanced

It is difficult to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons history has to teach.” - Aldous Huxley

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
  • Whatever happened to the Principle of Charity?
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2010, 02:51:11 PM »
(If there is an option in the control panel — and I've gone through "Look and Layout" and the others several times — then let me know where it's hiding.)

If you can't do it or it costs money then I understand and will continue to only listen. But it would be nice.

It is kind of hiding... go to Profile -> Modify Profile -> Look and Layout -> Current Theme:

At the end of the "Current Theme:" line there's the word "change" in parentheses.  Click on it, and select "SGU Light".  That theme is black text on a light blue background, with very little red.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks: that is much better. I thought I would have at least seen that, but then again... However, when I went to that page the preview for that was all black; now that I've changed the preview shows up like it should.

You can also go into your browser settings and over ride the colors (and font and font size) for what is displayed in your browser.

FireFox

Tools>Options>Fonts and colors>advanced

I know that's always an option, and I used to do that a long time ago; however, with CSS, etc. these days that would devastate the look of every other site I use. This was the only one I couldn't get a hold of.

But I definitely appreciate that you and the others replied to help. :)

Offline FunkyFredFrog

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • To teach is a gift.....
    • Some Music I'm working on
Re: Website Change suggestions
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »
When I start typing a thread on my Mac I don't seem to have any problems.

I use an Intel Mac 2.4MHZ with Snow Leopard (OS 10.6 +) for this

Recently when I've been using windows based machines at other peoples houses or at work when I reach the bottom of the box to write my thread the side scroll bar goes up half way the page so I can't see what I'm typing.

The cursor still stays at the bottom and if I type again I quickly see that its typing but then it flicks back halfway up the page.

I'm just trying this out again as I type this thread. It doesn't happen if you just type out a message but if switch tabs then go back to writing the message it seems that it starts "flicking about again".
Its just doing it now as I'm writing this line. Its

It may be when you get a certain distance down the screen but its highly awkward. Have you had reports of this before as I'm having this happen 400 miles away from previous occurances on adifferent network on a different machine - but both with Windows software?

If any editing is weird its cos I have to type fast to see what I'm typing

Man is certainly stark raving mad. He cannot make a worm, yet he makes gods by the dozens - Michel de Montaigne
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence - Bertrand Russel.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Website Change suggestions
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »
[Moved from "Website Change" to "Forum Change" because it's a forum issue.]

Recently when I've been using windows based machines at other peoples houses or at work when I reach the bottom of the box to write my thread the side scroll bar goes up half way the page so I can't see what I'm typing.

The cursor still stays at the bottom and if I type again I quickly see that its typing but then it flicks back halfway up the page.

Yeah... we know about this and it's a known bug with IE8.  There's nothing we can do about it on the forum.  The best workaround I can suggest is to use Firefox or some other, non-IE8, browser.  Sorry about that!
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
IE8 has bugs?!

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »
:siren: Spoiler alert. Using IE may degrade your web browsing experience. :siren:

Offline billhunter

• Off to a Start
  • Heh Heh Heh!
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2010, 09:12:26 PM »
The "skepticism and science talk"  category has been taken over by the climate debate. Since this topic is already discussed on far to many other web sites, could we quarantine the entire climate debate to its own forum category. For one that is not known for suffering fools, I find it troubling to see real skeptic discussions be drowned out by people with little understanding of the topics that they discuss.
wrong, PI are round, cake are squared!

Offline pandamonium

• Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2010, 10:08:58 PM »
The "skepticism and science talk"  category has been taken over by the climate debate. Since this topic is already discussed on far to many other web sites, could we quarantine the entire climate debate to its own forum category. For one that is not known for suffering fools, I find it troubling to see real skeptic discussions be drowned out by people with little understanding of the topics that they discuss.

Hi billhunter, there's already a discussion ongoing in Ongoing Discussions. Feel free to join it; you can find the thread here. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2010, 12:06:52 AM »
Is there any way to get the latest comment posted in the Global Warming sub-section to not appear as the latest comment in the Skepticism/Science Talk section?
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2010, 12:54:53 AM »
Is there any way to get the latest comment posted in the Global Warming sub-section to not appear as the latest comment in the Skepticism/Science Talk section?

The only way I know of to do that is to ignore the entire Global Warming board.
Profile -> Modify Profile -> Ignore Boards Options -> check the square next to Global Warming.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
  • Plutonium is your friend!
    • Is it working?
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2010, 12:56:47 AM »
Posting something in the Science forum will make that show up instead.
It is difficult to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons history has to teach.” - Aldous Huxley

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2010, 09:14:51 AM »

The only way I know of to do that is to ignore the entire Global Warming board.
Profile -> Modify Profile -> Ignore Boards Options -> check the square next to Global Warming.

Thanks a ton! Has that option been around long and I just missed it or is it new?
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2010, 10:52:44 AM »
Thanks a ton! Has that option been around long and I just missed it or is it new?

You're welcome! It's a modification we added some months back, so it's not extremely new... but it hasn't been there forever, either.
-- Stephan Grellet