Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 35515 times)

Offline Batmaz

• Not Enough Spare Time
« on: August 24, 2009, 01:17:09 PM »
So apparently James Cameron's new film is going to revolutionise cinema as we know it. The trailer was released very recently and can be watched here.

I personally am not very impressed with the trailer, and we all know how kooky James Cameron can be (remember when he found the tomb of Jesus?).

So what is everybody else expecting from this film?
"You don't like it, go somewhere else. Another universe, where the rules are simpler." [Richard Feynman]

Offline Da5id

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 01:52:46 PM »
It looks interesting, but so does that crazy jesus tomb movie.
"If all the animals on the equator were capable of flattery, then Thanksgiving and Hallowe'en would fall on the same date."
-Danny Ocean

Offline Thespis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:14:23 PM »
I keep confusing this with The Last Airbender.

Offline GeoRhi

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Thinking critically since the Holocene
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 11:45:06 PM »
My ears pricked up when I heard that Cameron was going to direct Sigourney "get away from her you bitch" Weaver in another Sci-Fi, but the trailer left me confused and only slightly curious.

The deepest sin against the human mind is to believe things without evidence.
-Thomas H. Huxley
We live by the grace of geology
- Prof. Dietmar Muller

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 10:45:27 AM »
Not very excited about this.  I hope I am surprised though.
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 01:27:58 PM »
This movie has been in the works for years, so the build up has been tremendous.  A few months ago, Cameron gives a 20-minute speech at Comic Con (or, maybe it was the video game expo?) and managed to bore the audience and not show a single clip from the film.

So, they finally release the trailer to much hoopla and....yawn.  I mean, it looks cool, I suppose, but I'm not particularly excited about it.  Still, Cameron has made some cool flicks, so we'll see what happens...
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 07:40:59 PM »
They had a preview for this before District 9. I was looking at it and thinking "Man this is the worst CG I've seen in like 5 years. And it just looks like a silly stupid movie."

The CG for District 9 was impeccable, and thinking about Avatar while watching it made me chuckle.

What was most amazing to me was when I looked it up on Wikipedia when I got home. Avatar cost $300 million, D9 cost $30 million!

James Cameron should be ashamed of himself. Given how much money he had that was  a really laughable preview.

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 07:54:18 PM »
They had a preview for this before District 9. I was looking at it and thinking "Man this is the worst CG I've seen in like 5 years. And it just looks like a silly stupid movie."

The CG for District 9 was impeccable, and thinking about Avatar while watching it made me chuckle.

What was most amazing to me was when I looked it up on Wikipedia when I got home. Avatar cost $300 million, D9 cost $30 million!

James Cameron should be ashamed of himself. Given how much money he had that was  a really laughable preview.

One mitigating factor could be that the movie is designed specifically for (a) 3D and (b) IMAX viewing.  I heard an interview with one of the actors who said he's read some of negative feedback regarding the online trailer, but spectacular feedback from the people who saw the special preview on IMAX.

Could be b.s.  I have no idea.  I mean, maybe the CGI looks the way it looks because we're seeing a 'flattened' version of the 3d?  That's complete speculation on my part, and I'm still not  particularly excited about the flick.  But, I'm not completely giving up on it yet either.
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »
Maybe... but all the creatures are so cartoony looking. And the description on Wikipedia of the plot is so... silly.

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 08:03:47 PM »
Maybe... but all the creatures are so cartoony looking. And the description on Wikipedia of the plot is so... silly.

I haven't read anything about the story (and, don't plan to; I like going in w/ as little info as possible.)  But, if the story isn't good, I don't care how good the 3D is, etc.  I can overlook mediocre CGI, but I can't like a movie is the story isn't engaging.

Offline Felt Martin

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 04:58:30 PM »
The trailer is not compelling but my enthusiasm for this film is not affected.
I am very excited and that is rare for me.

I normally have low expectations but I really am buying into the hype for this.
The CGI doesn't bother me. It always looks better on the bog screen than it does on tv or even in the trailer.

High hopes!

Offline Thespis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 06:46:29 PM »

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 07:10:44 PM »

Agree on all counts. $300 mill?! Ye gods... is that the new record? (Could be... close call with Pirates 3... and here I was thinking the record was still Waterworld  :P )
D9 was amazing for the cost but I still think Peter Jackson, George Lucas, Michael bay/Bruckheimer, the Wachowskis and now Cameron all make the same mistake in trying to make it look too good... too candy-sweet. And of course, mo-cap is crap. My favorite CG characters are still the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park I
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 07:11:11 PM »
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 07:47:52 AM »
So tall skinny blue Ewoks defeat the Empire. Seen it.

Is Cameron aware of what happened when a handful of gun toting spaniards met up with the vast Aztec empire? The Aztecs didn't actually win. These blue Ewoks better have some boojum majik behind them.

And they're already selling tickets in Toronto.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

personate-rain