Author Topic: Server upgrade Wednesday, September 16  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Server upgrade Wednesday, September 16
« on: September 15, 2009, 01:59:58 AM »
The hardware this forum is hosted on will be upgraded starting at 6 AM Pacific, Wednesday, September 16 (9 AM Eastern, 1 PM UTC).  The estimated downtime is four hours.

The new server has twice as many CPU cores and 3 times as much RAM (12gb) as the current server.  In addition, both the primary and backup hard drives are one terabyte in size.  We expect it will be some time until we outgrow this server.  It is also running Apache version 2.x instead of the outdated Apache 1.x on the current server.

After this time, the server will have a new IP address.  This means that your connectivity may be affected for up to twenty-four hours after the upgrade, as the new IP address gets cached throughout the world's DNS servers.  The new server's IP address will be placed in the maintenance-mode message of the old server, so if you aren't able to connect the usual way, just read the maint mode message and connect the temporary way.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Server upgrade Wednesday, September 16
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:17:50 AM »
The server migration is complete.  If you see any issues, please let me know!
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

personate-rain