Author Topic: Post your favorite recipies here.  (Read 56686 times)

Offline Skepdad

• Well Established
  • Inagodadavida, baby.
Post your favorite recipies here.
« on: September 24, 2009, 12:21:21 AM »
I was inspired by the Who Cooks thread: http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,22838.0/topicseen.html

So, please ... share and post your favorite recipes here. I admit fail when I didn't contribute first but I thought it was more important to start the thread. I will post a recipe for pasta fagioli as soon as I figure out what I did.

Offline whitedevilbrewing

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Post your favorite recipies here.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 12:56:21 AM »
I make a mean pizza. 

Dough is based on the Lehman dough formula- http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html

I have mine down to memory, but yours may vary.  153g water, 10g yeast, 300g flour (must be appropriate flour for pizza dough), 5g salt.  Mixed in kitchenaid mixer until lump-like.  Hand kneaded, let to rise for at least 8 hours. 

Stretch the dough, add sauce, which is whatever you like... mine is:

1 28oz can of 6-in-1 crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, dry basil and oregano, crushed red pepper, generous amount of garlic, simmered down to appreciable thickness.

top with sliced fresh mozz, and whatever toppings you want.  Bake on a pizza stone as high as your oven can go until it's done... the cheese will start to turn  a bit brown for example, kind of an experience thing.

It's intimidating at first, but it's not tough once you get the hang of it.

Offline Skepdad

• Well Established
  • Inagodadavida, baby.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:55:28 AM »
This is from memory tonight so ...

2 links Mild Italian Sausage, casing removed, chopped. If the links are shorter than your penis (or one you are used to) then, maybe three.
3/4 lb (0.35 kG) ground beef
3 slices bacon, chopped, Pancetta is fine, 1/4 cupish (a handful).
1/2 Medium onion, white, baseball-sized: Unless you are Ukrainian about the size of your fist.
1 cup finely chopped carrots. Shredded carrots in the US is perfect - take a handful and chop them up. Elsewhere chop up three carrots.
2 Stalks celery. Chop them.
2 cloves garlic. In the US, one big spoonful of pre-chopped garlic.
White beans - canned, drained and rinsed.
Chopped tomatoes, canned, small can, chop 2 medium tomatoes otherwise.
Chicken stock - who am I to judge? About 2L.
Pasta - I cup ditalini or any other small pasta.
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper.
Parmigiano Reggiano.
Parsley, minced.

Herbs
Rosemary, fresh, whole (add a big sprig - 6in or 12cm - it will fall apart and you will have to retrieve the stalk)
Thyme, fresh, whole (some ... don't worry ... not a ton but retrieve the woody stems later)
Oregano, dried, very small palm full.

OK ... first ... main rule ... don't panic - it will be good.

In a large pot/pan (this will make around 3 quarts (3L))

Add a splash of olive oil and heat to medium-high heat. Add all meat and brown.

Add chopped onion, celery, carrots, and garlic and cook until softened. (Don't panic - it matters not)

Add Chicken stock, rosemary, thyme, and oregeno.

Add pepper. ½  teaspoon now - more or less later depending on taste.

Bring to boil and reduce to simmer (low) and cover for 15 minutes. (Don't set the timer because it's not really all that important)

Add the tomatoes, beans and pasta and bring back to a boil then reduce to low and simmer for another 15 minutes.

Occasionally stirring to make sure you don't burn the soup.

Taste. If it needs depth add some instant chicken stock/bouillon. I doubt it will need salt.

Remove the stems from the rosemary and thyme.

When the pasta is done spoon to a bowl, top with Parmigiano Reggiano and a touch of parsley.

Offline KarenX

• Too Much Spare Time
  • A Simple Girl with an Evil Plan
    • More Women in Skepticism
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 02:10:37 AM »
I make very good pumpkin soup. I was sure I'd posted it here before, but I can't find it. I will, however, go through the trouble of typing it out again. I am throwing in a recipe for meringue cookies because they are easy and pretty.

Pumpkin Soup
1 1/2 to 2 pounds pumpkin
3 potatoes, diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tbsp parsley
1/2 tbsp rosemary
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of cumin
1 quart broth (vegetable or chicken)
3 cups milk
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter

Heat olive oil in large pot and cook pumpkin, potatoes and herbs over moderate heat for three minutes. Add spices and broth. Boil, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Remove the bay leave and puree in a blender or force through a sieve and return to pot. Add milk, salt, pepper to taste and return to a boil. Stir in butter and serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

If you want to freeze the soup, freeze before adding the milk and butter. This recipe is worth doubling. I always add more of the spices than it calls for.

Meringue Cookies
Preheat oven to 325. Line baking sheets with brown paper (like from a grocery bag). Beat two egg whites for a long time until stiff; fold in 3/4 C. white sugar. Add chocolate chips (or pecans, or miniature M&Ms). Drop by spoonfuls onto the cookie sheets. Bake maybe 20 minutes. They should be just on the verge of browning. Let cool completely before removing from the paper. One of those silicon spatulas often helps if the cookie is stuck.

You can use cream of tartar to stiffen the egg whites if you want; I also read once to separate eggs at refrigerated temperature but to beat the egg whites at room temperature--and to only mix egg whites in a glass or metal bowl.

Once in a while, this recipe fails completely.

Bonus Round
This vegetarian chili is made in a crock pot and is very, very good.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:18:43 AM »
Peanut Butter Pork
(A conglomeration of Thai Pork Sate marinade and the dipping sauce)

mix together:
1 14oz can coconut milk
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon cumin
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup Thai fish sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 cup peanut butter

Add pork, cut into 1inch pieces.  I prefer to use pork butt.
Let marinate at least an hour.
Dump all into a baking dish and bake at 325 for two hours, first hour covered, last hour uncovered.
Serve on rice.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Alisha

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 07:28:27 AM »
This is one of the nicest soups I’ve ever tried, but only really suitable for people who really *love* garlic. Recommended for a time when you won’t need to be around allot of people for a day or so after.

Inspiration from http://therecoveringvegetarian.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/garlic-soup/

Chicken and 40 Clove Garlic Soup

* 3 chicken thighs (or more, or less, depending on how much meat you fancy)
    * 30 unpeeled garlic cloves
    * 2 Tbsp olive oil
    * 2 Tbsp butter
    * 1 large onion, diced
    * 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped roughly
    * 1 cup white wine
    * 1/2 cup greek yogurt
    * 10 peeled garlic cloves
    * chicken stock (whatever amount is left after poaching the chicken)
    * 1/2 cup single cream
    * 50g parmesan, shredded (optional)
    * Handful of chopped chives for garnish
    * Salt and pepper, to taste

Firstly, make your stock by poaching the chicken in 6 cups of water for approx 40 mins, you can add bay leaves, peppercorns or anything else you want to use to flavour the stock.
When the chicken is cooked remove the meat to cool and reserve the chicken stock. When the chicken has cooled enough to handle shred the meat, cover and put aside.

Drizzle the oil over the unpeeled garlic, cover with foil and bake at 180 degrees C for 45 mins, or until softened and brown, when it's done set it aside until it can be handled and then peel.

In a large saucepan, add the oil, onions, butter and thyme and cook over a medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent. Add all of the garlic (roasted and raw) and cook over a low heat for about 5 mins. Add the stock and wine and let it simmer until the raw garlic cloves are soft enough to be squashed with the back of a spoon, about 40 mins.

The soup needs to be blended now, an immersion blender is easiest by far, failing that, transfer to a blender and puree in batches.

Gently warm the soup back up, and add the shredded chicken, yogurt and cream. When the soup starts to simmer turn the heat down slightly, add the parmesan and season to taste.

Serve with chives sprinkled on top and try not to breathe near anyone for the next week or so.

Offline David "Stubb" Oswald

• Ass. Professor of Agronomy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Lived, perspicacious, philosophic wisdom.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 08:04:28 AM »
This one is just my comfort food when I am stressed.

Antelope Tostadas
Fried corn tortillas
Refried Beans
Pan fried antelope with ground cumin, garlic powder, and anything else that seems good
Melted cheese
Green Onions
Cilantro

For some reason antelope meat works amazing with any type of Mexican food.  There is a certain inherit spice to the meat that is hard to describe.
If you read a book and it changes your life, you are fucked. -Seth Romatelli

Offline Alisha

• Off to a Start
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 08:12:37 AM »
This one is just my comfort food when I am stressed.

Antelope Tostadas
Fried corn tortillas
Refried Beans
Pan fried antelope with ground cumin, garlic powder, and anything else that seems good
Melted cheese
Green Onions
Cilantro

For some reason antelope meat works amazing with any type of Mexican food.  There is a certain inherit spice to the meat that is hard to describe.

Is antelope meat easy to come by where you live? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it (unless it was attached to an antelope that was still alive) but then again, I’ve only ever lived in Australia or the UK, not exactly prime antelope territory.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 08:26:33 AM »
I've never seen antelope meat, either, or I would have bought some to try it.

I have a stupid amount of recipes, many of them for one person, though they can be scaled up.  I post a few to facebook every now and then.  I'll post some later when I'm more awake.

Offline Thespis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 08:29:47 AM »
Please post your Grandfather's recipe here: http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,22916.0.html

But, then everyone will know my family recipe.  :-\

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 10:11:11 AM »
Bread and Butter pudding A COMLEAT FAKE !

1. a cinnamon & raisin bagel.
2. Packet instant custard powder.

Boil some water in a kettle, pour onto custard powder, mix, pour resultant goop over the bagel ........hey presto!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_butter_pudding

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 10:16:27 AM »
Instant coffee.

Ingredients: one jar of instant coffee.

1. 1 teaspoon of powder, from jar into mug.
2. Boil Kettle.
3. Add hot water to mug.

Enjoy!

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 10:25:27 AM »
I make very good pumpkin soup. I was sure I'd posted it here before, but I can't find it. I will, however, go through the trouble of typing it out again.

This recipy gave me another reason to look forward to October (already the best month).  There's my birthday, the best holiday (Halloween), the cool air that's perfect for bonfires, the changing leaf color, and now, equal to all of them, the most delicious soup on the planet. ;D

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 10:31:18 AM »
...... just melt some chocolate, and pour it over rice crispies ..........

http://www.nibblous.com/recipe/974

Offline spiney

• Reef Tank Owner

personate-rain
personate-rain