Author Topic: Help with publishing Novelette  (Read 104 times)

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Help with publishing Novelette
« on: January 10, 2020, 09:42:59 AM »
I am writing a sci-fi novelette. Currently in the process of the final edition, before sending it to someone else to review. I've got about 20,000 words, and I'm aiming for less than 18,000.

I would like some advise on getting published. Since this is a small story, getting an agent for it seems unlikely. I am fine with publishing it on a Sci-fi Magazine. I am considering Asimov's Science Fiction mostly because their criteria follows Character Oriented stories and allow for up to 20,000 words, which is up my alley.

Anybody here, have any experience with this than they can share.

Will the fact that I live in another country be a problem?
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Help with publishing Novelette
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 02:18:06 PM »
Will the fact that I live in another country be a problem?

Depends on the publisher. And hypothetically which organizations/unions you'd want to join. It could also make a difference which language(s) you want to publish in.

You might want to ask your national tax agency how to report the income (and/or debt, if you self-publish). Although you can probably wait with worrying about that, until after you know if your submission has been accepted.

If you just want to try things out, "Asimov’s Science Fiction magazine" seems as good a place as any. If you get rejected, then hopefully you can learn from that as well. And/or try getting it published elsewhere instead.

Online daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 03:09:53 PM »
The main trick to getting published is don't give up. Send the story to a publication, and if they reject it send it to another, and another, until there are none left. Self-publishing on Kindle & similar is also an option.

I used to have quite a collection of rejection letters. None of my fiction was ever published, but a poem of mine once appeared in a small poetry magazine (one of those where "payment" is one free copy of the magazine) and I had a few non-fiction articles published. The two I got paid for were written at the request of the magazine. They asked me because they knew that I had some experience with the subject.

Persistence is the key. I don't think you need to belong to a union to get short fiction published in magazines. Just be aware that they get a lot of submissions. Don't give up.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 08:55:42 AM »
Yeah. I figured that persistence is the key. I guess I’ll start with Asimov and move around while I write the next short story I have in mind. I am not particularly interested in self publishing but that’s an option if it fails to publish on a magazine. I don’t have a problem with failure and I am aware that I can become a better writer the more I write. Even writing this novelette I feel I wrote the later half much better than the first half.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

personate-rain