Author Topic: Post your favorite recipies here.  (Read 93122 times)

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
Re: Post your favorite recipies here.
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2012, 11:27:03 PM »
This sounds so good. 

Probably works with peppers too.

We actually tried that out this weekend.  It was pretty good.  We used red onion, but it probably came out about the same.  there was a little room in the top, so James drenched it in Cholula and declared it exquisite.  It certainly made cooking the eggs a lot easier, but it takes a lot longer to get everything to cook all the way through than just tossing an egg in butter and frying the shit out of it.

Offline David E.

• Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2012, 11:32:14 PM »
Yeah I have used the trick of poaching eggs in seasoned plastic wrap and that rocks.  The Cholula sounds yum.

Speaking of Red Onions.  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Red-Onion-Marmalade-3071

I think it works better with Balsamic or Red Wine Vinegar though, Apple Cider is too strong.

Add the marmalade to a steak and mmmm. 
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2012, 11:37:12 PM »
Oh yeah, we've decided to banish the apple cider vinegar from the house.  James has been trying out various incarnations of home made pepper sauce, and that stuff ruined an entire batch.  We go with the milder rice vinegar for non-italian dishes these days.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #258 on: April 10, 2012, 12:05:34 AM »
The latest issue of Cook's Illustrated taste tested hot sauces. Sriracha ranked at the top. No surprise there.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #259 on: April 10, 2012, 04:37:16 AM »
The latest issue of Cook's Illustrated taste tested hot sauces. Sriracha ranked at the top. No surprise there.

My wife has a subscription to Bon Apetit magazine.  I find it alternates between being insufferably snooty, and quite fun.

In an issue a couple years back they mentioned that Sriracha is a "trendy, new condiment".   ::)

I suppose it's "trendy" and "new" to people who don't have the good sense to have been patronizing Vietnamese restaurants for the last 20 years or so....

In other Sriracha related news, David Tran (owner of Huy Fong Foods, maker of "Tương Ớt Sriracha") is an American citizen!  Take that, world!  We're #1! We're #1!
Well.  There it is.

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
« Reply #260 on: May 07, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »
Fuck yeah! It's about fucking time someone wrote an article about this! I've read so many bullshit recipes. "After the chicken has nicely browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes..." Fucking bullshit!

How to cook onions: Why recipe writers lie and lie about how long they take to caramelize. - Slate Magazine

Browning onions is a matter of patience. My own patience ran out earlier this year while leafing through the New York Times food section. There, in the newspaper of record, was a recipe for savory scones with onions, currants, and caraway. Though I wasn't particularly interested in making savory scones, one passage caught my eye:

"Add the onions to the skillet and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook until they begin to turn dark brown and somewhat soft, about 5 minutes. Add the oil and a pinch of the fine sea salt; continue cooking until the onions are soft and caramelized, about 5 minutes longer."

Soft, dark brown onions in five minutes. That is a lie. Fully caramelized onions in five minutes more. Also a lie.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
« Reply #261 on: May 07, 2012, 05:12:45 PM »
Fuck yeah! It's about fucking time someone wrote an article about this! I've read so many bullshit recipes. "After the chicken has nicely browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes..." Fucking bullshit!

How to cook onions: Why recipe writers lie and lie about how long they take to caramelize. - Slate Magazine

Browning onions is a matter of patience. My own patience ran out earlier this year while leafing through the New York Times food section. There, in the newspaper of record, was a recipe for savory scones with onions, currants, and caraway. Though I wasn't particularly interested in making savory scones, one passage caught my eye:

"Add the onions to the skillet and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook until they begin to turn dark brown and somewhat soft, about 5 minutes. Add the oil and a pinch of the fine sea salt; continue cooking until the onions are soft and caramelized, about 5 minutes longer."

Soft, dark brown onions in five minutes. That is a lie. Fully caramelized onions in five minutes more. Also a lie.

Caramelized onions on pizza is heaven.  I don't think I've ever noticed someone telling me it only takes 10 minutes to caramelize onions, but I usually don't read the instructions associated with recipes.  I don't remember where I even learned to caramelize onions, but I was never under the impression it took any less than 45 minutes to do it properly.

Offline DoctorOHM

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Would you?
« Reply #262 on: May 26, 2012, 07:06:17 AM »
This sounds so good. 

Probably works with peppers too.

We actually tried that out this weekend.  It was pretty good.  We used red onion, but it probably came out about the same.  there was a little room in the top, so James drenched it in Cholula and declared it exquisite.  It certainly made cooking the eggs a lot easier, but it takes a lot longer to get everything to cook all the way through than just tossing an egg in butter and frying the shit out of it.

Oh, now i know what to make for breakfast tomorrow! Yeah!
"I'm part of the form-destroying process of entropy"
"To err is human. To arr is pirate"

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #263 on: August 14, 2012, 05:21:32 PM »
I recently made the following sandwich with a few twists:
www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Tomato-Sandwich

I used one of those sinfully ugly heirloom tomatoes for the sandwich. I toasted the bread in a pan with some butter, and added leaves of fresh basil. I think it would be divine with a few slices of pan fried salami. My wife wants to try it with goat cheese in place of the mayonnaise.

The bread I used was a three cheese bread:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/triple-cheese-bread-recipe

When I made it I fused it with a sourdough recipe to make a sourdough cheese bread, but it wasn't very sour. I fear I may have left my sourdough culture in the fridge for too long.

On the topic of heirloom tomatoes:
http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2012/08/heirloom-tomatoes-for-dinner.html

I've been enjoying the coyly named blog "Lick my Spoon" for recipe ideas. It was this site that linked me to the tomato sandwich:
http://lickmyspoon.com/weekly-meal-plan/high-five-fridays-weekly-meal-plan-8-10-12/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:36:52 PM by Halleyscomet/Wakefield »

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #264 on: August 15, 2012, 11:15:48 AM »
That king Arthur Flour link reminded me that I have one of these in my kitchen drawer and always forget to use it.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/dough-whisk
but when I do, it's kind of magical in how it can pull a pizza dough together.

Also I second the use of goat cheese on tomatoes in any application, but a quick spot under the broiler to melt and brown it, perfection.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Halleyscomet

• But I'm feeling much better now...
  • And then, one day, at Bible Camp...
    • My Pointless Blog
« Reply #265 on: August 15, 2012, 12:13:48 PM »
That king Arthur Flour link reminded me that I have one of these in my kitchen drawer and always forget to use it.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/dough-whisk
but when I do, it's kind of magical in how it can pull a pizza dough together.

Also I second the use of goat cheese on tomatoes in any application, but a quick spot under the broiler to melt and brown it, perfection.

I like that idea. I'll give it a shot in the near future.

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #266 on: March 18, 2015, 07:41:44 PM »
Since this is stickied I'm not so much reviving this thread as breathing new life into it.

I've recently been given an opportunity to acquire some Gentleman’s Relish or Patum Peperium but I declined due to the fact that it was described as an acquired taste such as Marmite which I really don't care for. but after doing some research i'm wondering if Anchovies on toast actually sounds like a good idea.

Anyone from across the pond want to weigh in on whether or not I should pull the trigger on a container that may just sit in my fridge until I clean it out once a year.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Traveler

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #267 on: March 20, 2015, 05:11:33 PM »
I've discovered that I love anything made with tomatillos. First up is an easy salsa verde.

1 lb tomatillos, husked (Get a few extra. When I peel the husks I almost always find a few that don't look so good.)
1/2 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 serrano pepper, seeded or whole depending on how much heat you want
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tbsp dried oregano (use Mexican oregano if you can find it)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp salt

Place the whole tomatillos in the bottom of a saucepan. Dump all of the other ingredients on top of them. Add a little water to the pan. The tomatillos will release a lot of liquid as they cook, so 1/8 to 1/4 inch of water is enough to start.

Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until the tomatillos are soft -- about 10-12 minutes. Let cool.

Dump everything into a blender, and puree until smooth.

It's great straight from the blender, but it's even better if you can refrigerate it for a day. Be prepared to eat a whole bag of tortilla chips by yourself.

For a variation that has a slight smokey flavor replace the serrano pepper with 1-2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
If one is going to be ignorant, then one may as well make a thorough and studied job of it.

Offline Traveler

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #268 on: March 21, 2015, 02:02:00 AM »
Next is a tomatillo chicken stew. My wife and I had this for dinner last night, and again for lunch today.

The Sauce
2 lbs tomatillos (get a few extra to replace the inevitable iffy ones)
2 jalapeno peppers (seeded or not depending on how much heat you like)
1 garlic clove
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp lime juice
pinch of sugar

Cover the bottom or a roasting pan or cookie sheet with foil. Peel the husks from the tomatillos. Slice them in half, and place the cut side down on the foil. Broil them 4-5 inches from the heating element until the tomatillos begin to char. Remove them and let them cool enough to be handled.

Place the tomatillos and any liquid they've given off into a blender. Add the remaining sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth. Adjust the salt to taste.

The Stew
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
2 yellow onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground corriander
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 tsp dry oregano (Mexican if you have it)
1/2 cup packed chopped cilantro

Pat the chicken dry. Salt and pepper it.

Add a few tablespoons of oil to a large thick bottomed pot or dutch oven on medium high heat. Brown the chicken. Work in batches so the chicken isn't crowded in the pot. Add oil as needed. Don't cook the chicken through. Just get a good browning on the outside, and lots off yummy brown bits in the bottom of the pot. Remove the chicken, and reduce the heat to medium.

Add another tablespoon or two of oil to the pot, and then add the onions, cumin and coriander. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Scrape the bits of browned chicken from the bottom of the pot so they get incorporated with the onion. When the onions are soft add the garlic and cook another 30-60 seconds.

Add back the chicken. Add the tomatillo sauce, chicken stock and oregano. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Simmer partially covered for 20 minutes.

Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the cilantro. Cover and let steep for 1-2 minutes. Serve.

Next time I think I'll try adding some rice add the start of the 20 minute simmer.
If one is going to be ignorant, then one may as well make a thorough and studied job of it.

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #269 on: March 21, 2015, 10:29:27 AM »
Pickled green beans.

I like to get vegetables at SAMs club dirt cheap, but large quantities. Pickle half.

2.5 cups vinegar
2 cups water
Bunch of dill
1/4 cup salt
Table spoon red pepper flakes
Minced clove of garlic

Bring this to a boil, load a jar with green beans, and pour pickling liquid on it. Let that cool put on lid pop in fridge and in 24 hours crunchy sour dill green beans. You need sugar if it's too sour for you.

Now you can use that same liquid on carrots, garlic, cucumbers ect,

With garlic I Like to change the liquid after a few days cause those things are still spicy. If you like garlic stuffed olives, pair your consumption with olives and replace the pickling liquid of your garlic with the olive liquid.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

personate-rain