Author Topic: Where The Wild Things Are  (Read 2099 times)

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
Re: Where The Wild Things Are
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 01:40:47 AM »
saw it tonight while the auburn game was on which explains the ass whupping. I thought it was great. Wife thought it was too dark. I said which freaking book are u remembering?
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline hunter

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 02:18:45 PM »
I said which freaking book are u remembering?

thank you sir, thank you
"Everybody understands Mickey Mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse. Hardly anyone understands Albert Einstein. And nobody understands Emperor Norton."

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 08:56:44 AM »
the concept of a child's imagination, unfiltered and raw, has never been so thoroughly presented in any movie I've ever seen, hands down.

^This.

This sums up my thoughts about the movie perfectly. Thanks for that, hunter.

I really really enjoyed it. I went with a few people who came out agitated and loudly proclaiming "That was the most boring shit I've ever seen"

Offline neo45

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 03:12:33 PM »
This movie was brilliant. Probably the best I've seen this year so far. It's not a traditional mainstream film, though it was marketed as such, which is probably why so many people came out disappointed and/or bored.

But it was great. Not for everyone, but whatever; their loss.

Offline Yabo

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Skeptical Noob
    • Metasouls
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 06:45:02 PM »
I was planning to see it while on vacation.

But my vacation was cut short when my dad found out I was an atheist and told me to leave.

I figured it wouldn't be good to see something that reminds me of my mother when I'm not feeling too great about my dad right now. Which sucks because I want to see it.
Nicky
"I never lie. I willfully engage in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder
Twitter/FB: yaboiksar

Offline pandamonium

• Skeptical Beer Inspector
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • they/them
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 08:44:20 PM »
It's the first movie I've seen where I could instantly and fully empathize with the main character (yes, the nine year old boy). It's also very sad, IMO - my stone heart cracked a couple of times. But I definitely liked it a lot. I don't know if I'd watch it again any time soon, but I would recommend it to my friends and fellow forumites.
I am become destroyer of biology.

Offline Drosophila

• Well Established
    • Wildly Into Nature
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 10:17:21 AM »
Did anyone seem to think that Carol represented an abusive father or is that my neurosis peeking it's ugly head out.
Carol acts like big (for their age) bullies act. Throws his weight around, is quick to anger, and is insecure. What I got from the monsters (without having read the book) is that they are different aspects of Max's personality. Carol being the angry, violent, insecure side of him from (I'm writing this spoiler-free) what happened with the family.

What I loved about this movie is the in-your-faceness of the monsters. Not their personalities but the fact that they're out in daylight where we can see them! You know, the opposite of this.

Movie makers in general seem to be under the impression that monsters need to be hidden in the dark in order for us to invest any belief in them. This movie demonstrated that no it's just takes skills to do it in daylight. What the Spill guys mentioned about them being boring and non-magical is missing the point, IMO. They had to be monsters for us to not assume they are independent characters of Max. And they're acting more or less like normal kids act because, again, they're of Max's mind. I could easily picture a kid coming up with the ideas that Max came up with, and the confrontations between the monsters.

And I also liked the fact that Max is believable as a kid! I'm sick of kids acting like 30-year old, altruistic saints.

Loved the effects (was it a mix between actual fluffy suits and CGI faces?), enjoyed the quirky music style, and the convincing performances from everyone involved. Really worth seeing and having in the DVD shelf.
Be whoever you want to be, do whatever you want to do! The world is your sandbox!

personate-rain