Author Topic: Where The Wild Things Are  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Yabo

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Skeptical Noob
    • Metasouls
Where The Wild Things Are
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:00:21 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone saw this over the weekend? Like most people, this book was a big part of my childhood and also one of the last books my mother read to me before she died. I'm both excited and nervous about the movie.

Would like to know what you guys thought of it.
Nicky
"I never lie. I willfully engage in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder
Twitter/FB: yaboiksar

Offline hunter

• Frequent Poster
Re: Where The Wild Things Are
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 11:25:26 AM »
I want to see it again already.

The effects were amazing, the kid did a great job, and that fucking Gandolphini?  pitch perfect... even if it's hard to separate him from Tony Soprano in my mind sometimes.  The soundtrack was dazzling and Karen O tends to annoy the hell out of me, but that's mostly due to the insipid interviews she did for the doc about the New York no-wave scene called Kill Your Idols. 

This is a beautiful movie that I think children would benefit from immensely, even if it's really more marketed to adults.  It fleshes out an adolescent character better than just about anything I've seen.  I also can't remember the last time a film made me smile like that without involving cartoonish violence.

This movie feels like a classic already and I'm hesitant to throw that word around willy nilly.
"Everybody understands Mickey Mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse. Hardly anyone understands Albert Einstein. And nobody understands Emperor Norton."

Offline Yabo

• Skeptical Noob
    • Metasouls
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 02:13:44 PM »
I want to see it again already.

The effects were amazing, the kid did a great job, and that fucking Gandolphini?  pitch perfect... even if it's hard to separate him from Tony Soprano in my mind sometimes.  The soundtrack was dazzling and Karen O tends to annoy the hell out of me, but that's mostly due to the insipid interviews she did for the doc about the New York no-wave scene called Kill Your Idols. 

This is a beautiful movie that I think children would benefit from immensely, even if it's really more marketed to adults.  It fleshes out an adolescent character better than just about anything I've seen.  I also can't remember the last time a film made me smile like that without involving cartoonish violence.

This movie feels like a classic already and I'm hesitant to throw that word around willy nilly.

Thank you sooooo much!

A lady I work with knew I was anticipating this movie nervously since it's so emotional for me and she text me on Friday saying she hated it and that she thinks it would be too depressing for me to see. I don't usually share her opinions on movies but I can't deny she had me worried. Not saying I'll  like it, but still I think people on this board might be a little closer to my tastes than she is.

Now I'm jazzed to see it next week!  ;D
Nicky

Offline hunter

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:27:22 PM »
considering how dark the book gets in places, how the hell does someone complain that the movie gets dark?
"Everybody understands Mickey Mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse. Hardly anyone understands Albert Einstein. And nobody understands Emperor Norton."

Offline Yabo

• Skeptical Noob
    • Metasouls
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 03:05:12 PM »
considering how dark the book gets in places, how the hell does someone complain that the movie gets dark?

I thought the same thing. I didn't say anything back to her besides "thanks for letting me know what you thought." But I was seriously doubting she "understood" what she was watching. She claims she's a fan and has read the book to her son. I'm sure she has. But I got the feeling she didn't grasp what was being said in it.

The fact that you said it made you smile, goes against everything she said about it.
Nicky

Offline hunter

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 03:42:03 PM »
the concept of a child's imagination, unfiltered and raw, has never been so thoroughly presented in any movie I've ever seen, hands down.

Offline Yabo

• Skeptical Noob
    • Metasouls
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »
the concept of a child's imagination, unfiltered and raw, has never been so thoroughly presented in any movie I've ever seen, hands down.

Gah I'm dying to see it now, lol.
Nicky

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • So it goes.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:14:04 PM »
I heard it really sucked.  I think it is going to really depend on what kind of movies you like.

Offline Yabo

• Skeptical Noob
    • Metasouls
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:21:22 PM »
I heard it really sucked.  I think it is going to really depend on what kind of movies you like.

What did you hear that people didn't like about it? I'm not overly picky usually, but I do have my standards. And of course, the bar is kinda high since it's an emotional thing for me.
Nicky

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • So it goes.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 08:27:17 PM »
"Where The Wild Things Are" Review -- Did it Suck?

But the spill.com guys thought it wasn't bad.

Where The Wild Things Are | Spill.com Movie Reviews

Roger Ebert echoed much of what was said by the Spill guys, and he's usually a good sounding board for what I'll like.  3/4 stars.  http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091014/REVIEWS/910149993

Offline Yabo

• Skeptical Noob
    • Metasouls
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 08:36:28 PM »
"Where The Wild Things Are" Review -- Did it Suck?

But the spill.com guys thought it wasn't bad.

Where The Wild Things Are | Spill.com Movie Reviews

Roger Ebert echoed much of what was said by the Spill guys, and he's usually a good sounding board for what I'll like.  3/4 stars.  http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091014/REVIEWS/910149993

Sweet! Thank you very much!
Nicky

Offline hunter

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 08:47:18 PM »
rottentomatos.com

Consensus: Some may find its dark tone and slender narrative off-putting, but Spike Jonze's heartfelt adaptation of the classic children's book is as beautiful as it is uncompromising.

68%

Offline Beη

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »
I saw it, and I enjoyed it very much.  Great overall feel, and a great soundtrack.

Offline Yabo

• Skeptical Noob
    • Metasouls
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 04:18:15 PM »
I saw it, and I enjoyed it very much.  Great overall feel, and a great soundtrack.

Thank you!

I've found more people who like it than not.
Nicky

Offline mrgrammar

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 07:09:10 PM »
Just saw it with my 7 year old son on Sunday.  Needless to say we had different experiences watching the thing. It's one of those shows that has different levels. Did anyone seem to think that Carol represented an abusive father or is that my neurosis peeking it's ugly head out.
“Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.” Marie Curie