Poll

Dressing up as Hitler for H'Ween, yea, nay, or other?

Funny
3 (5.9%)
Douchey
8 (15.7%)
Meh
9 (17.6%)
Gay Hitler
14 (27.5%)
Zombie Hitler
17 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: October 31, 2009, 05:29:05 PM

Author Topic: Costume Poll, because I'm not sure what's really offensive anymore  (Read 9411 times)

Offline hunter

• Frequent Poster
You decide for me.
"Everybody understands Mickey Mouse. Few understand Hermann Hesse. Hardly anyone understands Albert Einstein. And nobody understands Emperor Norton."

Offline SkepticalEsquire

• Well Established
  • Cthulhu is Love
Re: Costume Poll, because I'm not sure what's really offensive anymore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:44:33 PM »
I've always supported Hitler as a costume choice for Halloween.

(now there's a statement ripe for quote-mining)

Halloween is about supersition, myth, fear and monsters -human and otherwise.  Hitler is an archetype of evil, therefore perfect for halloween.

But then, I am planning on going as Roman Catholic Priest with a "My Buddy" doll sewn by the ass to my crotch so I might not be the best advisor in this category.

Canada -Land of shitty music and bears.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
I have a friend who dressed up as a coathanger abortionist for last Halloween. Compared to that, Hitler is pretty tame :)

Offline JoelWhy

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 06:32:47 PM »
Sorry, if you dress up like a Nazi, you WILL offend people.  Dressing up like Hitler?  Even more so.
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:54:42 PM »
Dress as Charlie Chaplin dressed as Hitler. Problem solved. :D

But srsly... People dress as satan, demons, the very embodiment of evil. So why would an example of an evil guy be worse? Dunno, but I'm pretty sure it would be. Maybe because there are still people around with relatives he killed, and unlike any one particular serial killer, there's a decent chance you'll run into one.

It wouldn't bother me, especially since he was so goofy looking and ripe for satire, but you might get a few touchy people screaming at you.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline JoelWhy

• Reptilian infiltrator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 08:56:37 PM »
But srsly... People dress as satan, demons, the very embodiment of evil. So why would an example of an evil guy be worse?

Because, deep down, maybe they all realize that one is real  and the rest are imaginary?
"I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Offline Joe B

• Quasi-Jock
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Now with Preposterone
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 08:58:10 PM »
How about Gay Zombie Hitler? That's probably far enough away to avoid most of the offense.   I wouldn't recommend a straight, living Hitler.
You underestimate the amount of people who are literally Hitler.
-Colts Homer

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 09:02:33 PM »
How about pre-war hitler? When he was still in his artist's faze? Hitler with palate and brushes.
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
But srsly... People dress as satan, demons, the very embodiment of evil. So why would an example of an evil guy be worse?

Because, deep down, maybe they all realize that one is real  and the rest are imaginary?

Hehe. Decent point.

Offline Karyn

• Forum Sexologist
  • currently recuiting for my lesbian cabal.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »
I voted for gay hitler. I don't find anything offensive, though.

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 09:21:13 PM »

Offline Plasmodium vivax

• Well Established
  • Actually, I'm Rick Santorum.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 12:44:10 AM »
Or you could take my idea for a costume (which I never articulated on this forum).

Go as the World Trade Center with a plane embedded into the side.  Or you could have it suspended on a coat hanger.  Whichever.

If anyone takes offense, politely ask them to stop attacking the World Trade Center.  If they hit you, ask them to stop trying to knock you down.
Also, I shot magic into their chromosomes until they turned inside-out.  Evolution is my bitch.

Offline SkepticalEsquire

• Well Established
  • Cthulhu is Love
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 12:55:17 AM »
Or you could take my idea for a costume (which I never articulated on this forum).

Go as the World Trade Center with a plane embedded into the side.  Or you could have it suspended on a coat hanger.  Whichever.

If anyone takes offense, politely ask them to stop attacking the World Trade Center.  If they hit you, ask them to stop trying to knock you down.

If you go that far, then you should also write the word "thermite" on the sides of the soles of your shoes just to see who notices.
Canada -Land of shitty music and bears.

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 01:45:45 AM »
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline luberjz

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 04:51:50 AM »
I have a friend who dressed up as a coathanger abortionist for last Halloween. Compared to that, Hitler is pretty tame :)

This reminds me of a Halloween a few years back when I improvised a last minute costume: an old-man rubber mask, fake butcher knife, and a lab coat covered with red food-coloring.  As the night wore on the it got too hot to wear the mask, and I got tired of holding the knife, which just left the bloody lab coat.  At some point this random girl stumbled up to me asked - no, slurred - "what are you supposed be, a gynecologist?"
The Brain is just the weight of God--
For--Heft them--Pound for Pound--
And they will differ--if they do--
As Syllable from Sound--

~Emily Dickinson